Be Grateful for President Obama

Lenny Kates’ message to Americans: Rally behind Barack Obama

‘Be Grateful for President Obama’

Lenny Kates in Pittsfield’s Park Square 5/25/10. Photo by Ben Garver.

6/3/10 Written by Jason Zasky http://bit.ly/8szAWz

“The amount of disrespect being shown to Barack Obama is beyond belief,” offers Lenny Kates, a retired social worker from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, who is countering the negativity with a message of his own. Once a week, Kates spends his day in the middle of a busy traffic circle in the center of his hometown, holding a sign that reads: “Be Grateful for President Obama.” It’s a simple, poignant message, one designed to make people think twice about reflexively blaming the president for the myriad problems the country is facing.

According to the 69-year-old Kates, he conceived the message nine weeks ago after learning that a group of Tea Partiers were planning to hold a rally in Pittsfield on Tax Day. “I was thinking that the Tea Partiers were going to be out there not constructively criticizing but negatively criticizing and bullying Obama,” he says, beginning to explain his rationale. “I had been increasingly upset with people attacking him, and found myself thinking that Americans aren’t grateful for the effort he’s been putting forth. The word ‘grateful’ made sense to me. It’s an empathic, non-toxic word, but at the same time it reflects my worries about the country and my concern about the stress and strain the president may be under.”

True to his intentions, Kates unveiled his message on April 15, spending three hours standing adjacent to a small gathering of Tea Partiers. He recalls being anxious as to how he’d be received by the assembled protestors, one of whom displayed an ‘Obama as Hitler’ sign. “I got hardly any direct response,” begins Kates. “People [from the Tea Party] looked at me and rolled their eyes. And two individuals came over and asked if I was being ironic,” he says matter-of-factly.

In contrast, the motorists and pedestrians who passed often evinced favorable reactions, responding with a wave, thumbs up, or honk of their horn. “There were a few individuals who cursed at me or yelled ‘Obama sucks,’” he reports, the plus-minus ratio no doubt influenced by the fact that Pittsfield is located in one of the bluest counties in Massachusetts (and the country) based on voting records this past decade.

While the Tea Partiers haven’t been back, Kates has continued his one-man vigil, recently redoubling his efforts by standing outside Town Hall in nearby Great Barrington, Massachusetts. And despite the fact that a Tea Party served as his inspiration, Kates’ message is primarily aimed at liberals and centrists, who, he says, ought to be realistic about how much change Obama can deliver is just a year or two.

“Obama walked into a situation where our economy was close to totally failing,” begins Kates. “It’s tough for him to do much more than work to save the economy, and also to restore democratic ways of thinking. Don’t get caught up in talking about what you wish Obama would do,” he continues, the latter part of his statement aimed at lefties who wish Obama was considerably more liberal. “Talk about what he is doing and point out why, in the present political climate, it’s hard for him to be doing what one would wish he’d do.”

As for centrists who are considering voting for conservatives in the 2010 midterm elections, Kates says, “Don’t forget that the problems we’re facing—what happened to our economy and our standing in the world—were caused by Republicans, the people who were in charge for the prior eight years. It doesn’t make sense to blame the president and everybody in Washington, because the problems were caused beforehand. We can’t go back to the former ways of handling the economy,” he emphasizes.

Still, it’s the way the far-right treats Obama that most motivates Kates to work to raise consciousness.  “It’s classic bullying behavior,” he begins, noting that the right-wing media and its devotees carry on as if Obama is hostile or belligerent. “But he’s not hostile. Quite the contrary. He’s shifted from the authoritarian leanings of the Bush Administration to a more expansive, empathic approach, yet some people behave as if they are frightened of him,” concludes Kates. He believes it’s the name-calling and bullying of Obama that makes the president’s supporters hesitant to publicly endorse him, for fear they’ll be bullied too.

For the entire article: http://bit.ly/aYh3fs

About these ads

243 Responses to Be Grateful for President Obama

1. jackieinarizona says:

I admire Kates’ guts for standing up for our President. God bless him.

2. 123kathleen says:

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks for that media contact information tab, CR!

3. jacquelineoboomer says:

I really love this story, and Lenny. Both are new American treasures.

• CR says:

I want to wake up tomorrow morning and see Lenny Kates’ story on all the MSM! It will make me happy to know that we played a small part in featuring it!

4. 123kathleen says:

On the White House Blog now: The Ongoing Administration-Wide Response to the Deepwater BP Oil Spill: June 2, 2010

….Admiral Allen was joined at his briefing by NOAA Administrator Dr. Jane Lubchenco, who outlined the critical role that science has played in the U.S. government’s response to the Deepwater BP oil spill. From the beginning, the administration’s response to this unprecedented event has been based on the best science available in both the public and private sectors, as responders have worked to measure and mitigate the impacts of the oil, monitor air and water conditions and assess any and all impacts to the environment as well as human health….

…. Admiral Allen directed BP to pay for five additional barrier island projects in addition to the one he approved last week as part of our continuing commitment to do everything possible to protect our vital coastal communities from BP’s leaking oil.
    Notifying Governor Jindal of his determination this afternoon, Admiral Allen reiterated that this administration will hold BP responsible for providing full payment for any strategy that will protect our valuable coastal communities from the impacts of their catastrophe.

In addition, the administration is moving critical response assets across all the Gulf Coast states in preparation for potential near- and long-term oil impacts….

5. CR says:

“We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics. They will only grow louder and more dissonant in the weeks to come. We’ve been asked to pause for a reality check; we’ve been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope. But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.”

Barack Obama at the New Hampshire Democratic Primary Speech, 01-08-08

6. jacquelineoboomer says:

Just heard on Hardball that today is the 500th day of Barack Obama’s presidency!

Happy 500th day, Mr. President! We’re with you all the way!

WOOO HOOO!!!!

God Bless President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama!!!

• jackieinarizona says:

Yes, Mr. President. Happy 500th day. We are behind you 150%.

500 days!

… to start turning back the financial, environmental, social and international damage done by the previous administration…

… to pass the most ambitious recovery package in American history to address the economic crisis…

… to achieve access to health care for all Americans, a goal that had eluded previous Presidents for a century…

… to cope with natural disasters, attempted terrorist attacks and the worst corporate-caused dmage to our environment in history…
      … to start making government more transparent and accountable…

Some featured legislation from WhiteHouse.gov:

Small Business Act Temporary Extension

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act

DTV Delay Act

Children’s Health Insurance Reauthorization Act

Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act

7. tigerfists88 says:

WE ARE ALL LENNY KATES..!! :0)

8. vero804 says:

Hey guys! Don’t forget at 9 pm (est) on CNN is the president’s Larry King interview!

• 123kathleen says:

Thanks for the reminder, Vero!

• donnanoshock says:

Thanks for the reminder. I have to run out and meet a client so I’ll miss this as well. Shoot!!!

• jackieinarizona says:

Darn. I wish I had set my DVR. It comes on at 6 PM here, and it takes me 45 minutes to get home from work. Maybe I won’t miss too much.

• CR says:

We are not hooked up to anything so I will just have to wait until I can view it on the web.

9. donnanoshock says:

I stand along side Mr. Kates in support of President Obama!

• 123kathleen says:

We are holding our virtual signs, one email or blog comment at a time!

Am I delusional or are there more and more positive comments following Blackwaterdog’s DKos diaries lately?

10. 123kathleen says:

“Katchi Kapshida. We go together. “ — Remarks of President Obama for the Korea Society 2010 Annual Dinner

Good evening everyone. I appreciate the opportunity to send my wishes as you celebrate the unbreakable bonds between the United States and the Republic of Korea. This year, of course, holds special meaning for us all.

We recall that it was exactly sixty years ago, on another June day, when the Communist armies poured across the 38th parallel and threatened the very survival of the Republic of Korea.

We honor all those who rallied to her defense — the fallen whose names are etched in sacred memorials, and veterans like General Paik who join you tonight.

We salute the resolve of the people of the Republic of Korea – who, from the ruins of war, built an economic miracle, a vibrant democracy, a society where a child could grow up to be Secretary General of the United Nations, and a nation that is now a regional and global leader.

We thank all those who have stood with the Republic of Korea to keep her safe and strong — especially our Korean American friends, the Korea Society, and generations of Americans in uniform, including my friend, General Colin Powell.

Most of all, we reaffirm the enduring alliance between our countries — an alliance rooted in shared sacrifice, common values, mutual interest and mutual respect; an alliance that is stronger than ever. And, as we have seen in recent weeks, our alliance is needed more than ever.

The attack on the navy vessel Cheonan was an unprovoked act of aggression by North Korea. As I have told President Lee, I and the American people offer our deepest condolences, especially to the families of the 46 sailors who were lost.

To our friends from the Republic of Korea who join you tonight, I say this: you and President Lee have shown extraordinary patience and self-restraint. You have shown the world what true strength and confidence looks like. And you have the full support of your friend and ally, the United States of America.

In the days ahead, our governments will continue to consult closely, and I look forward to meeting with President Lee this month in Toronto. Together, we will ensure our readiness and deter aggression. We will work with allies and partners to hold North Korea accountable, including at the United Nations Security Council, making it clear that security and respect for North Korea will never come through aggression, but only by upholding its obligations. And as I said during my visit to Seoul and Osan last fall, the commitment of the United States to the security and defense of the Republic of Korea will never waver.

Going forward, we will pursue our shared vision of our alliance for the 21st century. As the host of the G-20 Summit in November and the Nuclear Security Summit in two years, the Republic of Korea will continue to assume its rightful place as a leader on the world stage.

And every step of the way, our two nations will be guided by the same sense of solidarity and shared sacrifice that has defined us for 60 years — Katchi Kapshida. We go together. We go together in these difficult days. And we will continue to go together in the months and years to come.

Thank you, and have a wonderful evening.

www. whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/videotaped-remarks-president-obama-korea-society-2010-annual-dinner

• jackieinarizona says:

This is one busy President. He met with a dignitary from India at the State Department today too. Wow.

• CR says:

Gamsahabnida! (Korean for “Thank You!”)

I’m half Korean so I think that this is a cool post!

11. vero804 says:

Sen. Nelson wants more troops.

Pres. Obama’s face said – this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. His words were kinder – Coast Guard is part of the military and they’re fully involved in this oil effort.

Too many cooks in the kitchen is absolutely an issue and glad the president isn’t adopting a less is more attitude just for the heck of it.

12. vero804 says:

LOL @ “I would love to spend most of my time venting and yelling at people.” – He’s great!

13. CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

Hello O family. Just getting a chance to check in for the day. The President had a busy day. I can’t wai to watch the Larry King interview at 9:00 PST. I missed the beginning at 6:00.

Hi CompassionateObamaSupporter!
      I was wondering when I would see your name pop up!

I added a feature to my site “MSM Contact” (main stream media links) so that we can all quickly bomb the media with emails to support POTUS and his goals.

Today we used the media links to send emails to the different media outlets to suggest that they feature a positive patriotic story like Mr. Lenny Kates’.

14. CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

I am on it CR. Thanks for the MSM contacts. This Lenny Gates story is so speecial. We need more positive news like this.

15. CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

I can’t even watch NBC nightly news anymore. I am mad as heck with these folks talkng about President Obama’s emotions. They showed a portion of the McCartney event with he and his family singing on stage. I expect to at least get the nightly news without opinion. I can’t even get that now.I don’t think it is fair to question folk’s emotions because people handle emotions in different ways. This is so unfair.

• 123kathleen says:

I know it, COS — they don’t have the professionalism to get above this kind of junior-high gossip mode.

Guess we’ll just have to do their job for them!

16. 123kathleen says:

Results of a CNN Opinion Research Poll via ThePoliticalCarnival.net:

10. Do you think Barack Obama is honest and trustworthy?

May 21-23, 2010

No 39%
    No opinion 1%

11. Do you think Barack Obama is honest and trustworthy enough to be president?

May 21-23, 2010

No 33%
    No opinion *

TPC: www dot thepoliticalcarnival.net/2010/06/new-cnnopinion-research-poll-majorities-think-president-obama-honest-and-trustworthy/

Poll pdf: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/06/03/rel8j.pdf

17. donnanoshock says:

Ok I just got back home. How did the interview go?

• jacquelineoboomer says:

Welcome home!

Larry King did a nice job. What I like about him is that he asks the question, and then almost acts like he doesn’t care what the answer is. He might ask a tiny follow-up, but otherwise he doesn’t belabor the point. He doesn’t force the answer. This might be what interviews ALL used to look like, before President Obama came on the scene.

Oh, I see, you mean how did President Obama do? Well, remarkable – as usual! Got some great points in, on every topic. I was just so mesmerized by the usually dull Larry and the obvious respect and admiration he has for PBO (two nights in a row, after Sir Paul last night), that I went there first! Other folks have more stuff on PBO upthread!

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

I can’t wait to watch the interview at 9:00 pst. I am sure they chose Larry for this interview because they knew he would let PBO get his point across. Charlie Rose also respects the folks who he interviews and does not go for those gottcha answers..

• jacquelineoboomer says:

I’m glad I didn’t give too many details to Donna on what PBO said, because of the fact our west coast friends haven’t seen the show yet.

So, my one-sided (mostly about Larry) response turned out okay. I’ll take full credit as if I planned it that way – ha ha – as if!

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

Jacqueline, I actually like the preludes. I watch President Obama no matter what. however, I use the early reporting of the KO and Rachel Maddow shows from the OFA blog to determine whwther I watch my recording. :) Many days, I have deleted without watching. Now, I am fastforwarding thru the BP reporting and get my report directly from Admiral Allen everyday.

Jackie, LOL!

The show came on at 6 p.m here, but we’ll watch the rerun at 9 p.m.

18. jacquelineoboomer says:

Wow. For those interested, the NYT has a “classic” opinion piece up from 1993, when Don’t Ask Don’t Tell was put into practice.

Some of the wording reminds me of an old training class we had when I worked for the Navy (on how leaders should deal with diversity of all kinds, including managing different generations in the workplace) called something like “Who You Were, Where You Were, When.” Luckily, it’s getting harder and harder to remember why our country has been so wrong in some of these areas, including DADT.

Here, the author compares the action – or lack of action – to deal with the LGBT community in the military in ’93 against the credible action Harry Truman took in 1948 to racially integrate the military services. Some of the language of the 1940s in this piece is hard to read, but is a part of our American history (as sad as that is).

Kind of a fascinating look back, written in ’93 by a black, homosexual member of the clergy. His last paragraph is very moving, including, ” … with the American people, inevitably, it is not power but rightness that prevails.” Sometimes “rightness” takes way too long.

Thank you, President Obama, for striving to repeal DADT on behalf of folks who want to serve our country freely, while they keep us free.

Thanks for this, Jackie.

“[Institutions] unwittingly embrace the ‘Principle of the Dangerous Precedent’ put forth by the English academic F. M. Cornforth: ‘Nothing should ever be done for the first time.'”

Sounds like something from “Alice in Wonderland,” where the Cheshire cat said, “We’re all mad here.” President Obama is re-introducing the idea of sane decision-making.

19. CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

I know I may be reacting to strongly about this, but I just had to send Brian Williams the following email tonight. I am not a writer so look over mistakes.

To: Brian Williams

I watch your NBC nightly news show every single night. I have it as a season pass on my dvr. I have to tell you I was very disappointed tonight when I saw people on the news giving their opinion of President Obama’s feelings and emotions. Some people internalize feelings and react in different ways. I think it so wrong for you to bring folks on the nightly news to analyze the President’s feelings. I watch the nightly news for facts not opinions. If I wanted to watch people criticizing the President’s feelings I would watch the punditry shows.

I am sure you won’t read this but I am really upset about this and I felt that I needed to write this. If I had as much on my plate as the President, I would probably be numb, but it would not mean that my heart wasn’t aching inside. This president has to stay strong for the nation and even the world. If you read this, thanks for your time and I will continue to watch the NBC nightly news.

20. 123kathleen says:

President Obama speaks as part of a discussion on the future of the relationship between India and the United States at the State Department, June 3, 2010:

21. donnanoshock says:

WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING!

BP was successful in getting the containment cap in place. 24-48 hours to see if it works. (crossing fingers and saying prayers it does).

Due to the crisis in the Gulf President Obama’s scheduled trip to Australia and Indonesia this month will be postponed until November.

And our President continues to lead our nation with determination and fortitude.

TGIF O-Team and remember if one voice can change a room then one sign can change a mind!

Have a Great Productive Day and Thank You CR for allowing us this space to support our President without all the background noise.

22. donnanoshock says:

The President’s Calender
    Friday Jun. 4, 2010
    All Times Eastern

Gibbs gaggles aboard Air Force One.

VP Joe Biden and Jill Biden host a reception for breast cancer survivors and supporters at the Naval Observatory.

9:00 AM
    9:30 AM
    President Obama and VP Biden tour K. Neal International Trucks, Inc.

9:45 AM President Obama delivers remarks.

10:00 AM
    10:50 AM
    President Obama welcomes the Major League Soccer champions Real Salt Lake to the White House.

11:00 AM
    11:30 AM
    President Obama departs the White House en route to Andrews Air Force Base.

12:00 PM
    President Obama departs Andrews Air Force Base en route to Louis Armstrong International Airport.

1:00 PM
    2:00 PM
    2:20 PM
    President Obama arrives in Kenner, La.

2:35 PM
    President Obama participates in a meeting with Adm. Thad Allen and state and local elected officials.

3:00 PM
    VP Biden meets with CEOs from American manufacturing companies.

4:00 PM
    5:00 PM
    6:00 PM
    7:00 PM
    7:40 PM
    President Obama departs Louis Armstrong International Airport en route to Andrews Air Force Base.

8:00 PM
    9:00 PM
    9:25 PM
    President Obama arrives at Andrews Air Force Base.

9:35 PM
    President Obama arrives at the White House.

• sandy466 says:

Good Morning Donna thanks for the agenda.
      Good Morning CR!!!

• jackieinarizona says:

Good morning Donna. Thanks for the agenda. Isaw a report that said that some oil was coming up the pipe so that sounds promising. Sadly, even if it works it isn’t a total fix.

I had trouble sleeping last night so I channel surfed. I saw CNN bashing the administration and BP for not having someone manning the HQ down in Louisiana so that they could get their questions answered around the clock. They said their calls were going to voicemail. This childishness is at epidemic proportions. Obviously, I did not continue watching.

JB,

I hate to sound like a whiner this morning but I swear I never ever heard the media complain about anything that Bush did like they do this President. It’s constant non-stop. I have been giving this some thought and I think what makes it so much worse for PBO is because he has to fight his own side as well. Bush only had to fight the opposition. It just makes me admire him all the more because of what he has to put up with every single day from both sides.

I pray he decides to run for re-election in 2012 but if he decided that he didn’t want to put himself or his family through 4 more years of this I would be very sad but I would completely understand.

I saw on LKL last night that he still feels that it is an honor and a priviledge to serve this nation as our President. I pray that he continues to feel this way for at least 6 more years.

• jackieinarizona says:

I so agree with you. It was lights out at 8PM every night in the Bush years with very little interaction with anyone. The media had to find something every day to put on the news about his accomplishments and it was a difficult task to find something positive — but they figured how to spin it that way. This just sickens me the way this President has been treated. I was so naiive to think that the big battle was getting him elected. I never dreamed it would be this horrible for him.

• vero804 says:

“I never dreamed it would be this horrible for him.”

Me neither. I never thought it would be this hard to do sensible things to move this country forward.

Still waiting on financial regs….

23. donnanoshock says:

WASHINGTON – The nation’s payroll grew by 431,000 last month, completely reflecting a burst of temporary census hiring by the government. Private payrolls grew at the slowest pace since the start of the year.

The unemployment rate dipped to 9.7 percent from 9.9 percent, as thousands of people left the labor force.

• jackieinarizona says:

This Greece and Spain financial crisis isn’t helping our recovery, nor is this oil spill doing much for it.

• donnanoshock says:

I know its just one more crisis that the President is up against but I remain hopeful.

In the company where I work they don’t do much hiring in April and May because we bring in College Summer Interns to help fill positions on a temporary basis (its cheaper and it fills the void). I am willing to bet that a lot of other companies do the same.

• jackieinarizona says:

I agree. I also think the data is skewed by the media. We cannot have anything positive that this administration has had its hand in.

• donnanoshock says:

Nothing JB, Absolutely nothing can be positive for this administration. Even when they hit it out of the park on an issue within minutes there is someone pontificating about the downside of the issue.

I just feel that we the people who support this President have to turn this thing around. We have got to find a way to reach many people to pushback on this type of “reporting”. In my opinion it is just not healthy for our nation to have our media so negative toward their leader for no apparent reason.

• vero804 says:

“In my opinion it is just not healthy for our nation to have our media so negative toward their leader for no apparent reason.”

You guys are hitting it out of the park with good points this morning. I have long felt that the way the Republicans behave toward the president is dangerous. God forbid we have a BIG crisis, where LIVES are at stake or have been lost. Half the country will not rally around this president since their default position is to suspect him of something nefarious and to criticize him. The media feeds into that, so we have a toxic environment where nothing positive can take hold.

I am feeling so discouraged. We get positive numbers, the unemployment rate goes down, and it’s bad. I understand that most of it was census workers, but more jobs is more jobs and let’s just keep trudging along.

I cannot shake the feeling that he is being deliberately sabotaged by the big moneyed interests of our country.

• jackieinarizona says:

Vero, he is being sabotaged. This is not the first time. They did this to Clinton. That is not to say that Clinton was lilly white but if he was following the neocon’s agenda, his behavior would have been tolerated. Eliot Spitzer was targeted in the same way because he was hitting big money concerns. The people have to rise up and support this President.

• vero804 says:

Power never concedes easily. And the fools on the far left are so busy in their theoretical bubbles of ideology, they can’t see the battle that is going on in front of their faces and join in to help fight.

24. sandy466 says:

I had to run away from OFA blog just now BEC is holding court and people are responding. sigh. CR thank you for this respite.

Sandy,

I post the schedule and scadattle out of there. It can get pretty bad in the mornings. I am greatful as well for this respite.

• jackieinarizona says:

I was just over there Sandy and Bec is having a field day. I have to say I can hit and run without the name ID. I have never seen such stupidity. I am starting to think Bec is part of OFA and is just trying to get us upset.

• jackieinarizona says:

I can’t do it now because I have to get ready for work, but when I get there, I intend to copy all the nasty anti-Obama rhetoric on that site and send reports. Let them know that if they wanted to shut this site down they should have just said so instead of letting us endure this deterioration. I also intend to email Tim Kaine. This is a critical time for supporters to unite and look what has happened. I am really angry.

• CR says:

I reported for over a year via “Report Abuse” button, sent emails to the DNC, DNCC and WH and nothing but having my first acct frozen and my second acct with no functions avaiable to me other then composing/sending O-mail.

I got help only once from the DNC to remove a pornographic photo from mybo.

• donnanoshock says:

JB I hate to tell you to do this and I am not normally into conspiracy theories but because we don’t really know what’s going on over there with the blog administrators I would create a new account and use that account to report this stuff.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they deleted CR’s account unless it was just a careless mistake but they also may have resented her complaints up the food chain.

I just want you to be careful so that your account doesn’t mysteriously get deactivated as well.

• vero804 says:

Ugh…just peaked over there. So upsetting. The need to shut the blog down. It’s embarrassing and upsetting to see a crazy troll have such free reign over that blog.

BTW, have meta and Kimber Hussein been invited here?

• CR says:

I have invited everyone on my O-Friends list have received the same invitation O-mail that you received.

Maybe slowly they will come over and I bet that they come over here to peek…I know that HeleneFromParis does but she said she just can’t can’t leave OFA.

• vero804 says:

Cool. Hope they do join us here. Sometimes it takes a while to let go of the OFA site. I can understand that. It’s very sad to see it go to hell like this.

25. jacquelineoboomer says:

Good morning, O-team. Just read your morning posts, to see what I missed. I also saw CNN’s report overnight that nobody was answering the phone in LA; they just had the live video feed to look at. Would they not think to ask for an alternate contact phone number in advance, like grown-ups? Not sure what happened and why nobody was available to answer the phone, but it just sounded like one more thing to criticize. The media should worry about their own credibility, if you ask me.

And yet President Obama and his team just go marching on, being present and accountable for everything.

Would anyone have the candle link? Thanks and happy Friday, all!

26. CR says:

FYI-

Navigating through the registration of WordPress.com just to be able to post is challenging so I added “How to” under the “ABOUT” page.

Great idea CR.

• jacquelineoboomer says:

Thanks, CR, and good morning to you!

As everyone has hinted, it’s like another world over at OFA now – I’m so glad to be able to come here in the morning!

I do visit OFA a couple of times a day. Now, I’m just reading the posts where people aren’t afraid to sign their screen names. It’s otherwise a free-for-all. Talk about “one bad apple” and all that. (I don’t even like mentioning anything critical about OFA, since it was once such a home for movers and shakers!)

So glad to be here! I do not choose to pal around with negative folks – life is too great and too short. Enough said. Off to seize the day!

• vero804 says:

It’s not one bad apple. It’s a few.

Here’s my thing. If they create a new blog entry, it is obvious that somebody from HQ has official access to the blog.

Therefore, they have to know what’s going on. They have to know that there are no names anymore, and that there is a crazy troll infestation.

similar thoughts!

• donnanoshock says:

They don’t care Vero. Once the election was over their use for the blog diminished. They used us to motivate and activate voters (which I am ok with) but as the blog participation got down to just about 30 regulars a day it became apparent to them that their was no need to concetrate on this phase of the site.

They feel they can send out an email to their 13 million and get far more response to their “calls to action” than what they get on that blog. The blog is treated as an afterthought IMO.

I honestly don’t think that the mid-terms are going to drive the activity up either. I also believe that it will not grow in participation until the 2012 election in late 2011 gets fired back up again. That’s when folks will get back on board. That site is all about the President and nothing and no one else.

I guess I have known this all along but wanted to remain positive and hopeful that more attention would be given to the blog but my hope was diminished when the names were deleted and we all sent notices to the administrators and some of us called the DNC and got absolutely no response at all.

What gets me is that you will have some people over there that will say that it doesn’t matter whether or not your names show but the activity on that blog this morning proves that theory wrong. Those people would not be responding that way if their names were posting. Just like all those negatives ninnies that I have never seen post there before are coming out of the woodwork.

• CR says:

We do need to make a clarification here:

BarackObama.com was created and run by Barack Obama, David Plouffe and David Axelrod and others who had the passion and the commitment to make mybo.com a success. The site was successful and attracted many dedicated volunteers.

In April 2009 the mybo.com site was handed over to another organization who let it go and has not give even a fraction of the passion and commitment that it deserves.

• donnanoshock says:

Thank you CR I had forgotten about that distinction.

27. sandy466 says:

West Wing Week:

28. 123kathleen says:

Good morning CR!

Good morning Donna!

Good morning JB!

Good morning Sandy!

Good morning Jackie!

29. 123kathleen says:

Now on the WH Blog: The Ongoing Administration-Wide Response to the Deepwater BP Oil Spill: updated 7 p.m., June 3, 2010

In the Past 24 Hours

Obama Administration Sends BP a Preliminary Bill for $69 Million

BP Completes Riser Shear Operation and Continues to Ready Containment Device….

Admiral Allen Provides Operational Update for Unified Area Command….

Science Summit Addresses Environmental Impacts of BP Oil Spill

EPA Administrator Meets with Local Officials on Environmental Impact of BP spill

Continuing her fourth trip to the Gulf Coast, EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson provided a briefing for approximately 45 local mayors and elected officials from Mississippi and Alabama ….

Secretary Vilsack Pledges USDA Nutrition Assistance for Impacted Gulf States….

Coastal Impact Survey Teams are Deployed in Alabama

Commerce Secretary Announces Fishery Failure Determination for Florida

Coast Guard Responds to Reports of Oil Pollution in Florida Keys

Officials Continue to Ready National Parks for Potential Impacts by Oil

30. vero804 says:

Sent Erica a “friend request” on OFA, and in the message section wrote this:

Hi Erica;

I am a regular on the blog, been on it since early 2008. Anyway, I’m sure you are aware that there is a glitch in the system and commenters’ names no longer appear with the comments they post. Prior to this happening, which was about 2 weeks ago, we already had a variety of trolls visiting with regularity, harassing others and saying really negative and disrespectful things about the president.

Since the glitch with the names, it was been unbearable with regard to the trolls. It’s already difficult to carry on a conversation when you don’t know who you are communicating with. But it is really difficult to deal with the emboldened behavior of the trolls, which their newfound anonymity has provided.

I don’t know what your role is on this blog. I don’t know if you have the power to moderate it closely. I don’t know if you have the expertise or ability to find someone with the expertise to fix the name glitch. But if you do not have the ability, then I am requesting that a decision be made to close the blog down.

OFA shows up on the news, it shows up in newspapers. People may Google “OFA” and then end up on the blog. It would be a shame for visitors who may be prospective volunteers to see the nonsense that is going on right now. It doesn’t reflect well on OFA and by extension the president. It also doesn’t maintain the spirit of positivity and support that current OFA members,’ like myself, need to continue working with OFA for the president’s agenda. In fact, many of us have decided to leave and organize in another blog.

Thanks.

I hope I get some feedback. I’m going to send the same message in a friend request to Chris Haas.

• jackieinarizona says:

Awesome Vero. You put my concerns into the words that I wouldn’t be able to express so eloquently. That is my intention when I get to work is to send such concerns to as many as I can. With the mid-terms just around the corner, this is the last thing we need is to diminish the support that our President has. Thanks for doing this.

Vero,

I don’t know if you are on Facebook or not but Chris Haas is. Can I suggest that you try and friend him there and send him your message as well.

Donna, that’s good too!

Good idea.

• jackieinarizona says:

Donna, that is a great idea. I am on Facebook although I do not post much. I just got to work. I have a 40+ commute to work every day. During my commute, I was thinking about our discussions about OFA. I think this little band of supporters here on this blog can turn this around. I am absolutely not going to let OFA fail. The President needs the blog as an outreach to those who are looking for an easy way to get the facts. I think every time Bec or Brad or an anonymous blogger posts on OFA, we need to bombard that comment with positive facts, whether redundant or not. President Obama has not given up on us and I am not going to give up on the vision he had for outreach for the American people. I am going over there to check in and then I will start to work on my messages to fix OFA’s problems.

• jackieinarizona says:

Wow. What a difference an hour makes. Lots of positive over at OFA blog.

Vero, what a good idea.

• jacquelineoboomer says:

Hi, Vero. Well done!

I sent a friend request to Erica when the screen names first disappeared, but did not hear back. Maybe your more explicit message will get through.

As you said, this is totally disrespectful to the president – and the lack of attention to the blog is as much at fault as the newly emboldened postings of not only the trolls but also some of the “regulars.” Talk about the rise and fall of a blog – whew!

• 123kathleen says:

Yep. Not only is the OFA blog undermined as a tool for communication and organizing, but I have found troll handiwork elsewhere in the website — searching for events within a certain radius of any zip code, I found troll postings of fake events hostile to the President. I reported it, but of course there was never a response.

So if I’m anywhere these days, it’s here.

• CR says:

Sadly I agree with your letter Vero.

• azgrammy says:

What a great note Vero!
      I to sent Erica a similar (but not nearly as well written!) note a while back, but never heard “boo or beans” back from her!

31. tigerfists88 says:

Good mornin all…Jus wanted to share a positive flashback..Enjoy ur day..!!

32. 123kathleen says:

Any of the separate actions reported in the latest update on the federal response to the BP oil spill is worth an in-depth report. One in particular caught my attention:

“Science Summit Addresses Environmental Impacts of BP Oil Spill

The Consortium for Ocean Leadership today hosted a science symposium in Baton Rouge, sponsored by NOAA and other federal agencies, to discuss the urgent science issues involved in both short-term response actions and long-term monitoring of environmental impacts relating to the BP oil spill.

This science symposium builds on the unprecedented mobilization of science by the federal government, which has engaged the world’s brightest scientific minds from the public and private sector. Academic and research scientists from across the country discussed the unique contributions that non-federal researchers can make to help ensure that the highest quality data is collected and disseminated.”

“The unprecedented mobilization of science” is so characteristic of President Obama’s administration. For example:

The Department of Energy:

“At President Obama’s instruction, Secretary Chu has assembled a team of top scientists from academia and the U.S. government, with support from more than 200 personnel from America’s national laboratories…. Additionally, lab personnel have independently analyzed the two-dimensional gamma ray images which are crucial in helping the response team to understand what is happening…”

The Department of Energy also has its own resource center on the spill, at www dot energy.gov/open/oil_spill_updates.htm, with situation updates and links both to government and to the official YouTube, Facebook, Flickr and Twitter accounts of the response effort.

The Department of Commerce:

On June 2, NOAA Ship Thomas Jefferson, a 208-foot survey vessel, sailed from New Orleans to conduct a 10-day mission in the vicinity of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Researchers are taking water samples and testing advanced methods for detecting submerged oil while gathering oceanographic data in the area’s coastal waters.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, with EPA, has also convened several meetings of scientists to study the use of dispersants in the Gulf.

The Environmental Protection Agency is monitoring air, water and sediment quality and has produced a waste management plan for recovered oil and waste.

Another thing I notice is the multitude of ways to be updated and to keep in touch with individuals, departments and agencies. Email updates, text message alerts, Facebook, Twitter, all the avenues to communicate are wide open. For journalists to claim they have only one telephone contact and the phone wasn’t answered makes me ask why me they are not maintaining a wider and deeper contact list? Why are they are not up to speed on the technology?

I could go on and on, but this is already long enough. Science is being used as never before in the federal response to this environmental disaster.

33. jacquelineoboomer says:

Hi, Kathleen, Sandy and Rock! Loved his 2004 convention speech!

My niece also covered the 2005 conference of the American Library Association for her company (she’s a journalist, and a huge proponent of keeping brick-and-mortar libraries). The keynote speaker was Barack Obama. She sent me a photo she took of him at the podium!

My niece said that not only was he a dynamic speaker, but he seemed to have all of the facts and figures – about libraries, education, and other national topics – at his fingertips. She didn’t remember that he even used any notes.

This was well before he had announced any desire to run for the presidency. What a thrill for her!

34. CR says:

‘Spirit of life’ filled icon of Isle sports
    Former Punahou star battled Lou Gehrig’s disease for 34 years

5/4/10 Curtis Murayama – Honolulu Advertiser

Charlie Wedemeyer, one of Hawai’i’s finest athletes, who defied the medical world with his 34-year battle with Lou Gehrig’s disease, died yesterday morning in California.

He was 64.

As always, as she had done throughout their ordeal, Lucy, his wife and high school sweetheart at Punahou School, was at his side, joined by their two children, Kale and Carri, and their seven grandchildren — keiki Wedemeyer never expected to see.

“He’s free. He’s got some big game going on in heaven,” Lucy said yesterday. “He looks so peaceful. He just couldn’t resist heaven.”

While Wedemeyer was one of Hawai’i’s most storied high school athletes, he earned his greatest accolades for his dogged fight against Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Wedemeyer’s inspirational life story has been well chronicled, spawning a PBS documentary, “One More Season,” a CBS movie, “Quiet Victory — The Charlie Wedemeyer Story,” and a book the couple wrote, “Charlie’s Victory.”

Part of his legacy as a remarkable fighter grew from his time as a high school coach in Los Gatos, Calif., where in 1985 his team won the Central Coast Section Championship with Lucy, on the sidelines, reading his lips and relaying his plays to the assistant coaches.

“What do you say?” said Wedemeyer’s nephew, Blane Gaison, a former star athlete at Kamehameha Schools and the University of Hawai’i who also played in the NFL. “He’s been a role model for so many people, a testimony of faith, not just him, but he and my Aunt Lucy as a life partner. That’s a true testament to the spirit of life.”

Wedemeyer’s room at Kaiser Santa Teresa Community Hospital in San Jose was a reminder of that. He was surrounded by photos “that evoked the spirit of life,” according to Gaison.

In the last few weeks when the family sensed Wedemeyer was nearing his time, he was visited often by friends and relatives.

“God’s presence is palatable. In that room you could feel it,” Lucy said. “Nurses would come in and say that. It’s quite remarkable.”

Wedemeyer had undergone five surgeries over the past weeks and continued to “astound doctors. They kept using the words, ‘Miraculous,’ ” Lucy said.

Wedemeyer was so revered in the area that Dr. Val Selivanov, who performed what would be Wedemeyer’s last surgery, had a photo of Wedemeyer put up during the operation.

“I think I’m in a foggy time now,” Lucy said. “But the joy of knowing that he’s out of any more pain, any more surgery, any more discomfort … we just had so much time (together) this past two weeks.”

“We knew it was going to come,” Gaison said. “There’s so many good things we’re going to remember and so many wonderful things that we won’t forget. His legacy will live on through those he touched.”

For the entire article: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100604/NEWS01/6040359/+Spirit+of+life++filled+icon+of+Isle+sports

35. donnanoshock says:

Comment:

I don’t know if some of your blog friends have asked you about joining us here but when I talk to people about coming over to CR’s blog and the OFA blog situation I always tell them that for me personally this is not about leaving the OFA Blog as much as its about finding a place where I can commensurate with people who support the President without hearing the same negative background noise that I hear on the TV.

I never suggest that anyone leave the OFA Blog. I just cannot participate in the negativity and it has grown exponentially now that people can post anonymously.

I am very disappointed in the name deletion and the lack of response from the blog administrators but I have concluded that we (the blog) are a small part in the grand scheme of how this Presidents agenda is supported. It was a hard pill to swallow but I’m ok with it and I now feel as though I have a good balance by being able to be here with some of our O-team and having the ability to share what I think is important with the OFA Blog (just as I did yesterday with Mr. Kates article). It’s a Happy Balance for me.

Just wanted to share that with y’all :)

• vero804 says:

I completely agree with what you have written. I will still check in at the OFA blog, but this blog is a sane place for me. I have written this before, but I started to feel like the blog was a place of therapy or a venue to unleash mental instability for some. That’s not something I wanted to have to endure. I know we are all different, with different temperaments, etc., but some of the craziness that was written was just more than I could bear, and now with no names, I can’t even scroll past the usual suspects based on recognizing the name.

So, I too have not “left” the OFA blog, although I have to say my heart isn’t in it anymore. I am still 100% supportive of this president and feel the need to have a place where, as you say Donna, I can commiserate with like-minded people. OFA, for the time being, has stopped being that type of place for me.

This is a happy balance for me too!

• jocelyneinmontreal says:

And I agree also Donna and Vero.

I consult both blogs, and I am hoping that the anonymity situation is corrected soon.

Have a nice Friday and a great week-end!

36. vero804 says:

Oh goodie!

I didn’t even read the article, but Robert “let’s nationalize and put BP in a receivership” Reich has decided we are going to have a double dip recession.

I can’t even read the article because it’s on huffington post, but if someone wants to read it, they can find it there.

37. donnanoshock says:

Two Letters From The Times

by tristero

The Times has some astute letter writers:
    To the Editor:

Re “Once More, With Feeling,” by Maureen Dowd (column, May 30):

Where is it written that the president of the United States should be everyone’s “daddy”?

We elected a president, and this one, for a change, is bright, articulate and coolheaded, and appears to work very hard to understand the troubling problems confronting the United States and most of the world.

This country’s leaders and its people are not participants in a TV reality show or Facebook “friends.” There are many serious issues to be addressed and we do not need a weepy, angry, emotional president “feeling” his way to solutions. It is a dearth of critical thinking, contingency planning and discipline that has brought us to our present sorry state.

Barbara Hood
    Louisville, Ky., May 31, 2010

To the Editor:

It’s discouraging to see many calling for the president to “get angry” or show more outward emotion regarding the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. What would that accomplish?

The president is not some puppet that must lash out as some in the public might find appropriate. He’s the president. And you know what? He’s acting like one.

Dylan J. Taatjes
    Boulder, Colo., May 30, 2010

38. jocarussell says:

Hi, y’all.

I’m mostly lurking, but I wanted to comment on the blog situation.

I think Obama supporters all have to stay united if they want the President to achieve his goals.

OFA has its problems, but I think it is critically important that a “them” and “us” view of the situation be avoided.

Many problems have been identified with OFA, but, on the positive side, there was exposure to a wide variety of opinions. (OK, I see that may have been a little too Pollyanna-ish.) We grow though hearing other viewpoints and comparing them with our own.

We don’t grow while defending ourselves from constant attacks and the venting of unhealthy opinions.

ProPresObama is a great place for mutual encouragement and taking positive action. But, as you have been doing, check in at OFA as well. As crazy as some of the negative posts there sound, there are voting Americans out there who actually believe those things. The Obama team needs to be prepared to deal with that.

Yes, We Can!

39. 123kathleen says:

Jackie O posted above about her niece covering the American Library Association 2005 Annual Conference, at which then-Senator Obama was the keynote speaker.

Here is the transcript of Senator Obama’s remarks to the 2005 ALA Annual Conference:

“If you open up Scripture, the Gospel according to John, it starts: “In the beginning was the Word.” Although this has a very particular meaning in Scripture, more broadly what it speaks to is the critical importance of language, of writing, of reading, of communication, of books as a means of transmitting culture and binding us together as a people.

More than a building that houses books and data, the library represents a window to a larger world, the place where we’ve always come to discover big ideas and profound concepts that help move the American story forward and the human story forward. That’s the reason why, since ancient antiquity, whenever those who seek power would want to control the human spirit, they have gone after libraries and books. Whether it’s the ransacking of the great library at Alexandria, controlling information during the Middle Ages, book burnings, or the imprisonment of writers in former communist block countries, the idea has been that if we can control the word, if we can control what people hear and what they read and what they comprehend, then we can control and imprison them, or at least imprison their minds….”

• CR says:

Now if Ben and Debbie was here they would post an enthusiastic, uplifting and greatfull comment to your post Kathleen!

• 123kathleen says:

CR, I just went “over there” and said hi to Ben and left this post.

Wish they would join us!

40. azgrammy says:

Thank You “Cheryl’s husband.”, for the instructions & the chuckle:

“Cheryl is not allowed to spend 24 hours a day on the blog. (I very rarely go all caveman, but I felt some limits were required.)”

Good caveman!….:)

I also concur with Vero’s above statement

“…I too have not “left” the OFA blog, although I have to say my heart isn’t in it anymore.
    …still 100% supportive of this president and feel the need to have a place where, as you say Donna, I can commiserate with like-minded people. OFA, for the time being, has stopped being that type of place for me. ”

Good to “see” you all again!
    Azgrammy

41. tigerfists88 says:

A tweet from the DCCC:

Over 16,000 signatures! Denounce Rep. Young’s claim that the oil spill is ‘not an environmental disaster.’ http://bit.ly/aw37NY

• CR says:

Good Friday morning Rock!

Rep Young’s statement reflects his ignorance about the BP situation.

• 123kathleen says:

This is an example of Rep. Young’s reasoning, from his website:

“The kind of event that happened in the Gulf, while tragic, is so uncommon; it is akin to an American jetliner crashing. If a plane goes down, we don’t stop flying. We figure out what went wrong and correct the problem.”

I browsed around on the FAA website, looking at reports of potential technical problems and the directions for inspection and repair, and it just seems that in order to “figure out what went wrong and correct the problem” you first have to keep all specimens of that particular type of aircraft on the ground to examine them.

And I remember the quiet skies on the night of September 11, 2001, when a few planes went down and every aircraft was promptly ordered to land. Thank you, Canada, for taking in so many of our planes and caring for our stranded citizens.

42. sandy466 says:

Since Obama won the presidency, the White House and the DNC have strived to keep his 13 million-member grass-roots network engaged. Organizing for America staff members and volunteers helped build political support for Obama’s policy agenda, including economic stimulus, financial regulatory reform and the health-care overhaul. They even rallied around his two Supreme Court nominees, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

read more @link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/04/AR2010060402353.html

• jacquelineoboomer says:

Hi, Sandy – I couldn’t believe that article was dated today.

So, after I got totally hot under the collar, I contacted the DNC about the OFA blog. Quite frankly, I don’t believe I’ll get a response, but at least I tried.

Did some checking and Brad Woodhouse is apparently the Communications Director for the DNC. Would anybody know how to email him? I tried to find his email address, with no luck.

• CR says:

I usually use the “other issues” contact page:

Jackie,

Here’s his Twitter feed:

• jackieinarizona says:

Call me crazy but interesting his name is Brad. I am starting to question some of the comments on OFA as being “devil’s advocate-type” comments.

• CR says:

One day last year I submitted my troll list to the “report” button and within a matter of minutes five of the really nasty O-names had all changed to milder names all together….coincidence????!!!

• jackieinarizona says:

If you take all these little bits of information and couple it with what they did to you, it makes a pretty good case for the trolls being supported by OFA. Since you kept track of all the ID’s, no wonder they blocked you because you exposed them.

• azgrammy says:

Sure hope you guys are wrong about “Brad”, being perhaps a “devil’s advocate-type”, as well as some of the other comments on OFA ….

If trolls on OFA are being “devil’s advocate-” they are “Barking Up The Wrong Tree”!

Here’s what I reported on OFA this A.M. whilst Reporting a troll-post:
            – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

OFA Admin,

I’m back here today to report this troll, (which shall remain Nameless, thanks to OFA new policy)

You just leave this type of garbage on OFA blog….???

“Too bad it is illegal…” …????

That is simply a lie.
            But there it sits;
            … out there on OFA blog as if it is the truth!

Face it…
            ‘Trolls’ saying lies, & slandering this President & Obama Administration, has taken over OFA blog.

OFA regulars have left this blog for an alternate blog that has an on-site administrator, who weeds out trolls.

Opposite viewpoints are one thing, but hateful slanderous comments continuously posted makes one’s stomach-sick.

This is supposedly a blog for OFA SUPPORTERS…

But it isn’t now.
            Not anymore…

If we really do have an OFA Site Administrator, then it’s obvious they don’t give a damn about what happens to this blog.
            AZgrammy

• jackieinarizona says:

Good one AZg. Maybe all the complaints we wrote today is what did the trick. Maybe it caught the attention of someone that realized that the peons were not doing their job. For whatever reason, at least, OFA is back.

Here’s a NY Times article with some background:

43. vero804 says:

Good idea from Ezra!

More on the job numbers

Last week, pressure from deficit hawks forced the House of Representatives to cut the size of their jobs bill in half. As David Leonhardt wrote, “the case against the jobs bill starts with the idea that the economy is recovering.” But as today’s employment numbers show, our fitful recovery is going much too slowly given our near-10 percent unemployment rate.

Yes, deficits can become a problem. But the problem facing America is long-term, not short-term, deficits. Which is why every wonk answers this question the same way: Expand short-term deficits to boost employment and commit to credible deficit reduction in the long-term. The right move for deficit hawks would be to release a proposal that pairs a generous jobs bill with serious long-term reforms (for instance, a bill providing $300 billion in immediate stimulus and also lowering the cap on the mortgage interest deduction, bringing back the full estate tax and cutting defense spending). This moment, viewed correctly, actually offers a substantial opportunity for long-term deficit reduction because the need for short-term deficit spending gives hawks a bargaining chip that will bring liberals to the table. But no one seems interested in offering that deal.

44. tigerfists88 says:

Comin up on the White House UStream Channel:

The First Lady Hosts Chefs Move! to Schools Event http://bit.ly/9ELCXn

THANKS ROCK!

• tigerfists88 says:

I luv fresh veggies..With a giant slab of grilled lean beef..hehe :0)

I am with you!

I lived with a vegetarian and was strictly eating and cooking “nothing with a face”. Let me tell you that it is really hard to flavor something so that it has a deep flavor! I am asian so I used white and red miso to give it some “body”. After all that I started craving Teriyaki Chicken from Zippy’s and now I love a steak medium-rare! Grrrr!

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

Hello O family. Just checking in. I really enjoyed FLOTUS and the others out in the garden. The veggies were so clear on my computer. It almost felt that I could reach out and grab some for my lunch and dinner. :)

• CR says:

So Rock don’t you have a “local” report for us on POTUS being in your neck of the woods?

45. 123kathleen says:

VPOTUS and SLOTUS met Elmo and Grover and the rest of the Sesame Street gang last night when the Bidens were honored for their work on behalf of military families:

46. jackieinarizona says:

Hi guys. I found this article today in Time about Kenrick Meek. Thought I would share it.

47. 123kathleen says:

Now I’m thinking about this:

Ezra Klein says: (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/06/a_guide_to_blaming_obama_for_b.html)

I was in China while most of this was playing out, but it seems really weird to judge President Obama on whether he has responded to the BP spill emotionally enough, or whether he’s been able to stop an oil leak 5,000 feet below sea level. If you’re looking to pin this on Obama, Tim Ferholz proffers a far more convincing approach:

“The real failure here was in prevention. It was clear when Obama took office in 2009 that the Mineral Management Service, which regulates offshore oil drilling, was in desperate need of reform….”

It strains credulity to suggest that presidents will enter office and zero in on failures at tiny regulatory agencies. But their underlings should. And they appoint their underlings. So insofar as Ken Salazar fell down on the job, it’s Obama’s fault in a “buck stops here” sort of way.

Kathleen says: That made me think: So the question to me is, DID Ken Salazar fall down on the job? The Wall Street Journal says:

“Mr. Salazar has upset oil-industry interests and their Congressional backers with a series of actions to put the brakes on oil development plans. Announcing tougher leasing rules in January, he described oil and gas industry executives as “kings of the world in the prior administration”—a comment that drew criticism from Democrats in oil-producing states.

One of Mr. Salazar’s first acts as secretary was to visit the Colorado office of the MMS that had been the subject of a 2008 investigation by the department’s inspector general, who concluded that workers there had created “a culture of ethical failure” by partying and, in some cases, having sex with oil-industry representatives. Mr. Salazar ordered a stricter code of conduct for MMS employees and later canceled the MMS’ royalty-in-kind program, under which oil companies had been allowed to pay the government in oil rather than cash.”

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704717004575268302641522446.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_PoliticsNCampaign

That’s just one article. But it makes me ask, if the BP oil spill had never happened, would anyone even be asking if Ken Salazar fell down on the job? Or would the media/oil-owned Democrats/GOP still be complaining that he and the Obama administration as a whole were attacking free enterprise, destroying jobs, eroding our freedoms, etc. etc. (I do not include Klein in that bloc.)

I totally agree with Ezra Klein when he says this:

“But this is also evidence of what a bad idea it is to routinely elect people who make it a point to degrade the capacity of regulatory agencies. If your regulators are going to be effective, the commitment to their effectiveness has to be continuous, not episodic. If every other administration has to come into office and nurse a sabotaged bureaucracy back to health, they’re going to miss some of the problems, and much of the damage will already have been done.

….Which might mean it’s a good idea to elect people who are interested in making sure regulators don’t stop doing their jobs every couple of years, as opposed to people who think that the best regulation is no regulation, and the second-best regulation is whatever the relevant industry tells them it is.”

48. CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

I was watching CNN with my mute button on just to see POTUS touch down in La. I saw Kyra Phillips and Admiral Thad Allen and I decided I wanted to see what he was saying. She asked him how did he coped with all of the criticism, and I was especially struck by his answer. He said “I am very careful who I let rent space in my head”. I can see how he and President Obama get along. I am sure POTUS would say the same thing. :)

• 123kathleen says:

Thanks for sharing that, COS — A great, mature attitude toward life in general!

• vero804 says:

That’s a good line. I really like Allen.

I remember watching him on Tweety’s show last week and Tweety asked him who he reports to, if he reports directly to the president. Allen said that he reports to the Dept. of Homeland Security, and Janet N. then reports to the president. RIGHT AFTER Allen’s explanation of that chain of command, Tweety goes off – on and on about how it’s not really clear who’s in charge (mind you Allen just explained the hierarchy), and then he mentions that Allen reports to the Dept. of Interior. Allen got a smirk on his face, started kind of chuckling and you could see he’s thinking “this guy is f.o.s. (referring to Tweety), so he speaks up and says, “no, I report to the Janet N. at the Dept. of Homeland Security.

It was a funny exchange and seeing Allen’s reaction to Tweety’s inaccuracy a second after receiving accurate information was priceless.

Thanks for that, Vero.

And thank you for watching Hardball so I didn’t have to…

• vero804 says:

I never watch Hardball but I unfortunately was visiting my folks who had it on at that time. I’m usually not even home from work yet to catch any of those shows. Now that MSNBC is on XM radio, I can sometimes listen to the various shows throughout the day if I’m in my car for one reason or another. That’s been pretty interesting. Still won’t do Morning Joke, though. It’s too bad…I’m almost always in my car for at least a half hour that early in the am.

49. azgrammy says:

Hope I can still post…
    Inadvertently, I “subscribed” to emails as comments are posted…
    Aaaargggh…
    You were right Cheryl… I didn’t want hundreds of emails…
    So I “unsubscribed” …
    Like I said, hope I still have permission to enter & post…
    We’ll find out…here goes….

You did just fine AZg!

AZg glad you’re here.

I warned you!

You are not the only one that it happened to….the way we found out is that my husband set up his account not knowing that he wanted “unsubscribe” and he sat there that night deleting comments from his account!

50. 123kathleen says:

The President’s Tele-Town Hall with Seniors

By HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius

As America’s seniors learn about the new benefits for them in the Affordable Care Act, they want to hear more. On Tuesday, we’ve received 30,000 calls at our 1-800-MEDICARE call center about reform compared to an average of 150 a day last month.

In response to this growing interest, President Obama will host a tele-town hall next Tuesday to talk to seniors about the Affordable Care Act. They’ll have a direct conversation about how the law will strengthen Medicare by improving benefits, lowering costs, and giving seniors and their doctors more control over their health care.

Seniors from across the country will be able to participate via phone or watch the event here at WhiteHouse.gov/live and call in to ask their questions. A number of groups are also organizing events where seniors can join their neighbors to listen to the town hall and discuss the new law….

More at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/06/04/presidents-tele-town-hall-with-seniors

• donnanoshock says:

Ummmmm…Another good story for CR to featured on this blog.

I think this is going to be an excellent event to bring our seniors onboard for the 2010 midterms

51. 123kathleen says:

The President speaks to employees of K. Neal International Trucks, Inc., a company growing in the economic recovery, about the latest round of jobs numbers showing five consecutive months of positive jobs growth.

52. vero804 says:

I just posted this on OFA about this anti-Obama media storm we’re going through:

I just got a text from one of my family members a little while ago who remarked that he was listening to NPR and that “there are a lot of critics of Obama out there.” He’s not extremely political, but for him to note that and feel the need to text me about it tells me that the criticism is looking like a piling on, rather than valid criticism.

I can’t shake the feeling that this is a coordinated or intentional effort by msm. For months, all we read about was how pissed the press corps was for lack of access, no press conference, no love from the president, and so on. Those articles, I believe, were warning shots that the Villagers were becoming restless and feeling like this new president is not playing by their rules. So they were going to do whatever they could to remind him of their power. I don’t believe for a second that Carville’s tantrum was random. It was a planned tantrum to start a talking point with which to attack this president endlessly since they couldn’t pin the leak on him squarely enough.

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

Vero, I told my sister the same thing. I am sure if we can see this, others are noticing also. MSM is trying to make him pay for calling them out every chance he gets. As I said before, they are out of control and a lot of folks are beginning to see thru this, at least those with half a brain. I have been following politics a long, long, time and I have never seen it this bad.

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

I might add that stations who use to have some credibility are even piling on. NPR use to be worth listening to somewhat.

• CR says:

My sources of info are the newspaper, the websites and listening to NPR (which I am doing at the moment).

NPR is USUALLY balanced but I think that the squeaky wheel is getting all the attention now that is why we did the media blitz yesterday asking them to feature Lenny Kates’ story. I sent NPR Mr. Kates’ story and also included that I am a contributing member of KQED station.

• vero804 says:

I used to listen to NPR quite a bit too. I’ve been hearing that they’re skewing right lately. I think he was probably shocked that NPR of all stations was behaving like all the other news outlets right now.

Anyway, I haven’t been involved in politics long, I wasn’t able to vote until Bush v. Gore, so I can’t say how bad it is now compared to the past. I trust your perspective, COS. It’s really awful. To the point I’ve got some people in my life who won’t watch news right now because it is too “depressing.”

53. azgrammy says:

Right now….
    POTUS on MSNBC discussing the oil spill

54. jacquelineoboomer says:

Unless I’m seeing things, the screen names are back up on OFA.

• donnanoshock says:

Vero’s email did it I bet ya :)

• sandy466 says:

heehee I didn’t see you wrote before me Jackie’O. Sorry for the duplicate.

• jacquelineoboomer says:

No problem, Sandy!

Well, it should be interesting on OFA — to see how many negative people drop off now that their names will be exposed for all the world. Yee-haw!

• CR says:

I just went there and you are right.

I then went to my #2 acct and tried to click on the “Manage your blog” button and I got the same old message:

“You are not authorized to create a post.
      You will be automatically redirected in 10 seconds.
      If you are not, click here.”

When I tried to view my own blog I get this message:

“Invalid blog/profile URL”

So I am still limited to only composing/receiving O-mail.

• jacquelineoboomer says:

Cheryl – It is my hope that your situation at OFA will be fixed, now that somebody noticed the other problem!

I DOUBT IT

• donnanoshock says:

I’ve been told that once they deactivate an account it cannot be activated again.

I make this confession to y’all, I have for a very long time had two accounts over there for this very reason.

I know CR doesn’t want to establish another account by using a new gmail or hotmail email address but unfortunately I think that is the only way she’ll be able to blog there again. :(

I know its ridiculous and one of the things I really dislike about that site but Snicky has had to sign back up three or four times. She’s been deactivated several times. The trolls keep reporting her. Yep anybody can report anybody. YULK!

• CR says:

Sorry but I also unsubscribed to OFA….I lost hope in them.

• CR says:

All I get when I go there is have my blood pressure raised.

• donnanoshock says:

I understand CR. I would have probably done the same thing.

We lost our names on Sunday May 21st and didn’t get them back until Friday June 4th without a single word of explanation. Doesn’t say much for the management of the OFA site and I really believe that Vero sending that friend request with her scathing message is what gave them pause to do something about the situation.

It shouldn’t have to be that way!

• CR says:

Thank you for understanding.

I always felt protective of mybo.com (not the one that exists now) but the one that Obama, Plouffe & Axelrod worked hard at developing.

55. vero804 says:

Did I see David Vitter welcoming the president when he landed in Louisiana? These guys have a lot of nerve.

• donnanoshock says:

Remember what we said yesterday about one face in front of the President and another when their not.

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

Yes, Vitter has always been a part of the folks who met President Obama. Can U beleive that? I was so impressed at seeing our President in action just now on CNN. Did you all see him?

• vero804 says:

No I didn’t see him, can you fill me in on what he said/did.

• CompassionateObamaSupporter says:

He summarized what they had discussed in the meeting. He called BP out for the new image ad now airing. Also mentioned the 10 billion dollars being paid out to shareholders (I think). He was very much in command. He also said that the moratorium on drilling will not be lifted until he get the report from Graham and the other guy. it will not be rushed, but he told them to report to him as soon as they have something to report, even if it is before the six months. He wants the report done right so that we will not experience this type of catastrophe again. The video will probably be posted on Cnn soon. They are on the way to Grand isle where he will meet with locals. It is a 2 hour drive there.

56. sandy466 says:

Hi everyone!OFA finally has user names showing. :)

57. canadabarb4obama says:

I think the only way to rid the OFA blog of trolls, is to not respond to them. I know how hard it is, but if we can ignore them for 5 days, they’ll give up. Can we try it?

• donnanoshock says:

Barb you are preaching to the choir here. Most of us ignore them but I notice that a lot of bloggers that normally just lurk come out just to confront the trolls. Its a weird scenario but that’s what they do. I don’t understand it but at least with the names I can ignore them.

It was so hard to know who was who without the names so at least those of us who normally ignore and roll can go back to doing that now.

• jocelyneinmontreal says:

I’m good for the 5 days, anyone else?

58. sandy466 says:

Savannah Guthrie reports on tweeter;
    In mtg, Obama to Jindal: “Bobby you can’t tell me on everything else we can’t trust them but on this one let’s just take BP’s word for it” 4 minutes ago via UberTwitter

59. CR says:

———————
    WARNING ABOUT REPORTING TROLLS AT OFA:

Donna said this in the post /\:

“(several people have had their accounts) deactivated several times. The trolls keep reporting her. Yep anybody can report anybody.”

CR said in reply:

“Maybe that is the idea aggrevate everyone so that they say something that the trolls can report on to get supporter’s accounts deactivated then they will give up.”

——————-

• donnanoshock says:

And something else that I have always told people on background is that they should never announce that they are reporting a troll. Just do it but don’t ever tell the troll that you are doing it. That just signals to them to report you as well.

Something for all my Blog Family to remember.

60. CR says:

*********************
    THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED

NBLB Come on over to my newest post

titled: ” 1-800-MEDICARE”
    **********************

To get to newest post click on “HOME” at the top of the page and click on the title of the newest post

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 275 other followers