Fatherhood.gov

President’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative

Fatherlessness is a growing crisis in America, one that undergirds many of the challenges that families are facing. When dads aren’t around, young people are more likely to drop out of school, use drugs, be involved in the criminal justice system, and become young parents themselves.

“On Father’s Day, we honor the men in our lives who have helped shape us for the good, and we recommit to supporting fatherhood in our families, in our communities, and across our Nation.Fathers, along with our mothers, are our first teachers, coaches, and advisors.  They help us grow into adults, consoling us in times of need and celebrating with us in times of triumph.  Strong male role models come in all forms, but they have one thing in common:  they show up and give it their best.  A father figure may be a biological father, or he may be a surrogate father who raises, mentors, or cares for another’s child.  Every family is different, but what matters is the unconditional support, guidance, and love fathers and mentors give us throughout life.”

6/17/11 President Barack Obama

PBO Fatherhood Buzz

Fatherhood Buzz

Neighborhood barbershops are a trusted space to discuss personal and public issues, ranging from family to politics, health, money, and other life issues. Fatherhood Buzz is an effort to increase awareness around responsible fatherhood and parenting issues, and increase families access to support through local barbershops throughout the country.

What’s New in Fatherhood Buzz

Bring Fatherhood Buzz to Your Area: Join the barbershop & partner planning call

Call for Barbershops: The purpose of this call is to inform barbershops and community partners about the NRFC’s Fatherhood Buzz efforts in June 2014, including our nationwide Father’s day events. Attend to learn innovative ways you and your community can benefit from celebrating fathers this Father’s Day weekend by partnering with Fatherhood Buzz and the NRFC.

Learn more: https://fatherhood.gov/fatherhood-buzz

About these ads

69 Responses to Fatherhood.gov

1. CR says:

WH

Saturday, June 18, 2011

All Times Eastern

President Obama receives the presidential daily briefing

7:00 AM
    8:00 AM
    9:00 AM
    9:30 AM
    President Obama and Vice President Biden play golf with Speaker Boehner and Governor Kasich.

10:00 AM
    9:00 PM
    10:00 PM

2. CR says:

Fatherhood.gov

Fatherhood.gov

President’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative

President Obama has said that being a father to Malia and Sasha is the most important job he has. At the same time, growing up without a dad himself, the President understands firsthand the holes that fathers leave in their families when they are absent. The President is joining with fathers across the nation to send a strong message about personal responsibility and ‘stepping up to the plate,’ while supporting fathers who want to be there for their kids, even dads facing challenges in their lives. That’s what the President’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative is all about. Take the President’s Fatherhood Pledge here.

Fatherhood stories

3. CR says:

June 17, 2011

Presidential Proclamation–Father’s Day

FATHER’S DAY, 2011
    BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    A PROCLAMATION

Parenthood is the ultimate gift and an incredible responsibility. Every day, fathers across our country give everything they have to build a better future for their family, asking nothing in return but their children’s love and success. On Father’s Day, we honor the men in our lives who have helped shape us for the good, and we recommit to supporting fatherhood in our families, in our communities, and across our Nation.

Today, too many children in our country grow up without such support and guidance. A father’s absence is felt by children, families, and communities in countless ways, leaving a hole that can have lasting effects. Their absence is also felt by mothers, who work overtime and double shifts, put food on the table, and care for children alone while trying to make ends meet. And it is felt in our communities, when boys grow up without male leaders to inspire them.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/06/17/presidential-proclamation-fathers-day

Fatherhood Involvement – President Obama

From: adcouncil | Jun 19, 2009

More than 79% of Americans feel the most significant family or social problem facing America is the physical absence of the father from the home. Research shows that the lack of a father in the home correlates closely with crime, educational and emotional problems, teenage pregnancy, and drug and alcohol abuse.

• CR says:

President Barack Obama Pens Essay on ‘Being the Father I Never Had’

June 08, 2011 BY BARACK OBAMA

In an exclusive Father’s Day essay, the President of the United States – and elementary school basketball coach – Barack Obama tells PEOPLE readers how growing up without a dad made him want to be the best parent he could.

I grew up without a father around. I have certain memories of him taking me to my first jazz concert and giving me my first basketball as a Christmas present. But he left when I was two years old.

And even though my sister and I were lucky enough to be raised by a wonderful mother and caring grandparents, I always felt his absence and wondered what it would have been like if he had been a greater presence in my life. I still do. It is perhaps for this reason that fatherhood is so important to me, and why I’ve tried so hard to be there for my own children.

That’s not to say I’ve always been a perfect dad. I haven’t. When Malia and Sasha were younger, work kept me away from home more than it should have. At times, the burden of raising our two daughters has fallen too heavily on Michelle. During the campaign, not a day went by that I didn’t wish I could spend more time with the family I love more than anything else in the world.

For the entire article: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20500603,00.html

Remarks of President Barack Obama
      Weekly Address

June 18, 2011

Hi, everybody. This Father’s Day weekend, I’d like to spend a couple minutes talking about what’s sometimes my hardest, but always my most rewarding job – being a dad.

I grew up without my father around. He left when I was two years old, and even though my sister and I were lucky enough to have a wonderful mother and caring grandparents to raise us, I felt his absence. And I wonder what my life would have been like had he been a greater presence.

That’s why I’ve tried so hard to be a good dad for my own children. I haven’t always succeeded, of course – in the past, my job has kept me away from home more often than I liked, and the burden of raising two young girls would sometimes fall too heavily on Michelle.

But between my own experiences growing up, and my ongoing efforts to be the best father I can be, I’ve learned a few things about what our children need most from their parents.

First, they need our time. And more important than the quantity of hours we spend with them is the quality of those hours. Maybe it’s just asking about their day, or talking a walk together, but the smallest moments can have the biggest impact.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/06/18/weekly-address-celebrating-fathers-day

Taking the Time to be a Dad

Posted by Katelyn Sabochik on June 19, 2011 at 09:27 AM EDT

This morning, President Obama sent the email below to the White House email list in honor of Father’s Day. If you didn’t get the email, be sure to sign up for the White House email list.

Good morning,

I grew up without a father around. I was lucky enough to be raised by a wonderful mother who, like so many heroic single mothers, never allowed my father’s absence to be an excuse for me to slack off or not always do my best. But I often wonder what it would have been like if my father had a greater presence in my life.

So as a father of two young girls, I’ve tried hard to be a good dad. I haven’t always been perfect – there have been times when work kept me away from my family too often, and most of the parenting duties fell to Michelle.
      I know many other fathers face similar challenges. Whether you’re a military dad returning from deployment or a father doing his best to make ends meet for his family in a tough economy, being a parent isn’t easy.

That’s why my Administration is kicking off the Year of Strong Fathers, Strong Families. We’re joining with dads across the country to do something about father absence. And we’re taking steps to offer men who want to be good fathers but are facing challenges in their lives a little extra support, while partnering with businesses to offer fun opportunities for fathers to spend time with their kids. For example, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, Major League Baseball and the WNBA are offering discounts for fathers and their kids, and companies like Groupon and LivingSocial will be featuring special offers for activities fathers can do with their children.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/06/19/taking-time-be-dad

• CR says:

Father’s Day E-Mail From Michelle Obama: Dads Should Join 2012 Re-Election Campaign

JUNE 19, 2011 OBAMAFOODORAMA.BLOGSPOT.COM

First Lady Michelle Obama sent a “Happy Father’s Day” e-mail to supporters on Sunday afternoon, through MyBarackObama.com, which is paid for by the Obama Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee authorized by Obama for America and the Democratic National Committee. In her text, Mrs. Obama encourages dads to get in on the re-election efforts for President Obama as she praises a Seattle father of four named Alex, who is a “Summer Organizer” for the Obama Campaign, and trains volunteers. The e-mail includes a video about Alex, as well as a campaign donation request at the bottom.

“Today, I’m also proud of my husband, the man who drove our first daughter and me home from the hospital 13 years ago next month, determined to be the kind of father he hadn’t had for himself,” Mrs. Obama wrote, adding “he dedicated himself then and there to making sure our daughter had every opportunity he could provide.”

For the entire article: http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/06/fathers-day-e-mail-from-michelle-obama.html

4. CR says:

June 15, 2011

President Obama to Host Military Fathers and Children for Screening of Cars 2

To Help Fathers and Kids Connect, Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative to Include New Partnerships with Organizations Including Bowling Centers, Sports Leagues, Zoos, Aquariums, LivingSocial and Groupon.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – This week, President Barack Obama’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative will kick off a year of Strong Fathers, Strong Families through events highlighting the important role fathers play in creating strong families. Over the past two years, the President’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative has helped fathers nation-wide engage with their families by providing support for local fatherhood programs, town halls around the nation, partnerships with outside organizations and through http://www.fatherhood.gov. This effort is supportive of all families, and affirms the central role of mothers in the lives of our children, especially those who have stepped up to the plate when dads haven’t been around.

“Father’s Day reminds us parents that we have no more solemn obligation than to care for our children. But far too many young people in America grow up without their dads, and our families and communities are challenged as a result,” said President Obama. “Through my administration’s fatherhood initiative and the year of Strong Fathers, Strong Families, we’re taking steps to offer men who want to be good fathers a little extra help, while working with partners around the country to encourage personal responsibility and help fathers connect with kids.”

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/06/15/president-obama-host-military-fathers-and-children-screening-cars-2

Strong Fathers, Strong Families

Posted by Michael Strautmanis on June 15, 2011

So this is fun.

Like millions of dads across our country, President Obama has said that being a father is the “most important job he has.” From coaching basketball to helping with homework, the President cherishes the time he gets to spend with his two girls, even when life gets busy.

Today at a screening of the movie Cars 2 for military fathers and families, President Obama is kicking off something called the year of Strong Fathers, Strong Families as part of his Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative. It’s an effort with partners from around the nation to create simple opportunities for dads and kids to connect. Whether it’s a free game of bowling, a Major League Baseball or WNBA game, a visit to the zoo or aquarium, or discounts for dads and kids through partners like Groupon and LivingSocial, we’re excited to help create small moments that can have a big impact. You can sign up for updates and find more in the coming days on http://www.fatherhood.gov.

President Obama wrote about growing up without his own dad in his life – and millions of kids in America experience the same. According to the U.S. Census, almost one out of every three children in our country grow up without their father. And when dads are not around to support, families and children can be impacted as a result.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/06/15/strong-fathers-strong-families

June 15, 2011

Remarks by the President to Military Fathers and Their Children

South Court Auditorium

5:49 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! (Applause.) Thank you, everybody. Thank you. Everybody, please have a seat. I am going to be really quick, because I understand you guys have been hearing too many speeches and you’re here to see the movie.

So, first of all, I want to say thanks to Jason and to Jack and Mary Frances for not only the great introduction, but also for your incredible service — your family — and the incredible service you’ve rendered to the First Lady, who could not be more thrilled about the work you’ve done.

I am extremely pleased to be here. I’m glad to have Disney’s Roshon Fegan here. Thank you very much, Roshon, for the great work you’ve done. Disney’s ambassador, Jennifer Mason, thank you.

I wanted to invite you all here first and foremost just to say thank you. Thank you for your service. Thank you for your dedication. And when I say thank you, it’s not just to those in uniform; it’s to the families as well who are also serving. We could not be more proud of you, and we are grateful because you help not only to keep us secure but also keep us free. So we’re grateful for that.

The second reason I’m here is because I’m a dad. And across the country, one of the things that we’ve been trying to do is to stress the importance of fatherhood. We’ve hosted town halls; we’ve supported local programs. We’ve reached out to over 10,000 dads through our fatherhood pledge. For those fathers who may have trouble living up to their responsibilities, we’re trying to give them some support, but also give them a strong nudge to understand how important they are in the lives of their families.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/06/15/remarks-president-military-fathers-and-their-children

5. CR says:

Obama says no more children for First Family, doesn’t miss his father

6/17/11 By Rachel Rose Hartman – yahoonews

In a pre-Father’s Day interview for ABC’s “Good Morning America,” President Obama opened up about fatherhood, experiencing “love at first sight” when seeing his eldest daughter for the first time, and why the Secret Service could come in handy during his daughters’ teenage years.

Obama offered nothing but praise for his daughters, saying he believes that–much to his wife’s credit–his daughters are turning out to be wonderful kids. They are “responsible” and “well-behaved” the president said, adding that he doesn’t predict “complete mayhem” for their teenage years.

But, the president joked: “I should also point out that I have men with guns that surround them, often … ,” adding that security helps make certain his daughters “never get in a car with a boy who had a beer. And that’s a pretty good thing.”

The president added that he might go so far as to invite a potential suitor to his Oval Office, knowing full well the intimidation factor. “Malia and Sasha, if you’re watching this, I’m just jokin’,” he added.

For the entire article and complete video: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110617/ts_yblog_theticket/obama-says-no-more-children-for-first-family-doesnt-miss-his-father

6. CR says:

ARCHIVE:

Dreams from My Father

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance is a memoir by United States President Barack Obama. It was first published in July 1995 as he was preparing to launch his political career, five years after being elected the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review in 1990.
    Obama’s March 2004 U.S. Senate Democratic primary victory in Illinois led to the book’s re-publication in August 2004, two weeks after his July keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention (DNC).The 2004 edition included a new preface by Obama and his DNC keynote address.

Narrative

The autobiographical narrative tells the story of the life of Obama up to his entry in Harvard Law School. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Obama, Sr. of Kenya, and Ann Dunham of Wichita, Kansas, who had met as students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Obama’s parents separated when he was two years old and divorced in 1964. Obama’s father went to Harvard to pursue his Ph. D, but he didn’t have the money to take his family with him. After that, he returned to Africa to fulfill his promise to the continent. Obama formed an image of his absent father from stories told by his mother and her parents. He saw his father only one more time, in 1971, when Obama Sr. came to Hawaii for a month’s visit. The elder Obama died in a car accident in 1982.

For the entire article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_of_My_Father

• CR says:

Book TV: Sen. Barack Obama “Dreams from My Father”

Uploaded by BookTV on Aug 20, 2008
      Barack Obama discusses his memoir, “Dreams from My Father.”

7. CR says:

ARCHIVE:

‘What I Want for You — and Every Child in America’

1/14/09

By President-elect Barack Obama Barack Obama will be sworn in as our 44th President. On this historic occasion, PARADE asked the President-elect, who is also a devoted family man, to get personal and tell us what he wants for his children. Here, he shares his letter to them.

Dear Malia and Sasha,

I know that you’ve both had a lot of fun these last two years on the campaign trail, going to picnics and parades and state fairs, eating all sorts of junk food your mother and I probably shouldn’t have let you have. But I also know that it hasn’t always been easy for you and Mom, and that as excited as you both are about that new puppy, it doesn’t make up for all the time we’ve been apart. I know how much I’ve missed these past two years, and today I want to tell you a little more about why I decided to take our family on this journey.

When I was a young man, I thought life was all about me-about how I’d make my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want. But then the two of you came into my world with all your curiosity and mischief and those smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day. And suddenly, all my big plans for myself didn’t seem so important anymore. I soon found that the greatest joy in my life was the joy I saw in yours. And I realized that my own life wouldn’t count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every opportunity for happiness and fulfillment in yours. In the end, girls, that’s why I ran for President: because of what I want for you and for every child in this nation.

For the entire article: http://www.parade.com/news/2009/01/barack-obama-letter-to-my-daughters.html

• CR says:

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama, illustrated by Loren Long

11/24/10 bookdragon.si.edu

Yes, President Obama’s first picture book is, of course, a gorgeous gift to his two young daughters. But it’s also quite a legacy for every child anywhere as it reminds us that a child’s potential is virtually unlimited in what he or she can grow up to be.

In telling his daughters the story of America, Daddy Obama includes the lives of 13 American heroes who used their gifts to change the world … from the creative young girl who grew up to be artist Georgia O’Keeffe who “helped us see big beauty in what is small,” to the brave boy who became baseball legend Jackie Robinson “and showed us all how to turn fear to respect and respect to love,” to a kind little girl who became Nobel Peace Prize winner Jane Addams who “taught adults and invited children to play and laugh and let their spirits grow wide,” to an inspiring boy who grew up to be activist Cesar Chavez who “showed farmworkers their own power when they felt they had none.”

The good Prez’s illustrator, Loren Long, cleverly captures the transformation from young child to hero … on the left side of each double-page spread is a growing audience of kiddies, while the right side shows the grown-up hero those children become. Long never misses an opportunity to infuse a moment of humor – check out young George Washington in red breeches holding a glinting ax behind his back, looking up at his own grown self inspiring his tattered troops through a harsh winter landscape.

For the entire article: http://bookdragon.si.edu/2010/11/24/of-thee-i-sing-a-letter-to-my-daughters-by-barack-obama-illustrated-by-loren-long/

OF THEE I SING: A Letter to My Daughters

Uploaded by RandomBooks on Nov 16, 2010

In this tender, beautiful letter to his daughters, President Barack Obama has written a moving tribute to thirteen groundbreaking Americans and the ideals that have shaped our nation. From the artistry of Georgia O’Keeffe, to the courage of Jackie Robinson, to the patriotism of George Washington, President Obama sees the traits of these heroes within his own children, and within all of America’s children.

Breathtaking, evocative illustrations by award-winning artist Loren Long at once capture the personalities and achievements of these great Americans and the innocence and promise of childhood.

This beautiful book celebrates the characteristics that unite all Americans, from our nation’s founders to generations to come. It is about the potential within each of us to pursue our dreams and forge our own paths. It is a treasure to cherish with your family forever.

Raw Video: Obama Reads His Book to 2nd Graders

Uploaded by AssociatedPress on Dec 17, 2010

Usually, big-name authors plug their books on a nationwide book tour. President Barack Obama took a lower-key approach Friday, reading selections from his new children’s book to a group of delighted second-graders in suburban Virginia. (Dec. 17)

Fisher House
        Heroes’ Legacy Scholarships

The “Heroes’ Legacy Scholarships” program honors not only those who have fallen in battle, but all who have died or have become disabled through their active military service since September 11, 2001. The program is open to their dependent unmarried children under age 23. A disability is defined as one that results in the service member being eligible for, and receiving, Traumatic Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (TSGLI) or a permanent and total disability compensation rating of 100%.

The scholarship grants for this special program are principally underwritten by the author’s after tax proceeds from the book “Of Thee I Sing. A Letter to My Daughters” written by President Barack Obama. The amount to be awarded each year depends on the amount of royalties and other potential donations.

Selected recipients will receive a scholarship grant, not to exceed the costs of tuition, books, lab fees, room and board, to any accredited U. S. post-secondary institution of high learning. The amount of the scholarship may be reduced by other funds that the student has received, from federal or state government programs or other grants. Eligibility criteria for the “Heroes’ Legacy Scholarships” program are different from the “Scholarships for Military Children” program. The two applicant pools are considered separately. Applicants can apply to either or both programs if they meet the eligibility criteria.

To learn more: http://militaryscholar.org/legacy/index.html

8. CR says:

Investing in America’s New Energy Frontier

Posted by Secretary Ken Salazar on June 17, 2011

With the desert sun warming our backs and our shovels in the ground, California Governor Jerry Brown, BLM Director Bob Abbey and I participated in a groundbreaking ceremony this morning for the Blythe Solar Power Project, the world’s largest solar energy project to be built on public lands.

Located eight miles west of Blythe, California, members of the small community, local officials, and representatives from Solar Trust of America braved the 100 degree heat to witness a historic moment in America’s new energy frontier. In the near future, the ground where we stood today will hold a solar power plant that will generate up to 1000 megawatts of power—enough energy to power more than 300,000 homes.

Today’s ceremony not only launched the beginning of construction, but it also marked another important step in making America’s clean energy future a reality. This project shows in a real way how harnessing our own renewable resources can create good jobs here at home and contribute to our nation’s energy security.

Just the first phase of this project will put about a thousand people to work out here in Blythe during construction and will create more than 200 permanent jobs. The second phase is expected to do the same. These are big numbers for the Blythe community.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/06/17/investing-america-s-new-energy-frontier

• CR says:

Ground broken in Blythe for massive solar plant

06/17/2011 The Associated Press

BLYTHE, Calif.—What will be the world’s largest solar power plant is a major milestone in the nation’s march toward a renewable energy world and a more stable economy, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said Friday during a groundbreaking ceremony.

His department is working on 19 renewable energy projects on public lands, he said. “The goal is to secure the energy future of the United States of America and we will give priority to these projects,” Salazar said. Most of the projects are in the West.

Government and corporate leaders lifted shovels full of dirt to toast the largest of the projects, the Blythe Solar Power Project in the California desert, 225 miles east of Los Angeles.

The estimated cost of the plant is $4 billion. The U.S. Department of Energy has pledged a $2.1 billion loan guarantee to support it.

The first phase of construction will put 1,000 people to work and create hundreds of permanent jobs. The second phase will do the same, Salazar said. When finished, the plant will generate enough electricity to power 300,000 homes, he said.

For the entire article: http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_18300754?IADID=Search-www.siliconvalley.com-www.siliconvalley.com&nclick_check=1

Groundbreaking Ceremony Blythe

Uploaded by SolarMillenniumGroup on Jun 17, 2011

SECRETARY KEN SALAZAR AND GOVERNOR JERRY BROWN BREAK GROUND ON THE BLYTHE SOLAR POWER PROJECT

9. CR says:

From General Mechanics to General Motors: Lynn Gantt’s EcoCAR Experience

Posted by April Saylor on June 17, 2011

Since childhood, Lynn Gantt has had a deep seeded passion for cars and the mechanics that drive them. The Virginia native spent his weekends rebuilding antique tractors with his dad to race at tractor pulls across the state, and now the Virginia Tech graduate student is the proud team co-leader of Virginia Tech’s EcoCAR Challenge team—the winners of the three-year long competition, as announced last night at an awards ceremony in Washington, DC.

Lynn grew up around mechanics and engineering, which is why he says the Mechanical Engineering undergrad and graduate programs at Virginia Tech were a perfect fit for him. In addition to the family hobby of rebuilding antique tractors, Lynn’s dad runs a small electrical contracting business (Swing Electrical Company) out of Newport News, VA, and his older brother is an auto mechanic at a car dealership. “Clearly this program was just a natural fit for me,” he says.

Lynn has been a member of the Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team of Virginia Tech (HEVT) for all three years of the EcoCAR Challenge, which began his senior year in Fall 2008. As the only remaining original Virginia Tech participant, Lynn has spent the last three years working with teams of 25 student volunteers modifying the team’s 2009 Saturn Vue—which the team aptly named the VT-REX (for Virginia Tech – Range Extended Crossover) . The car was donated to each of the 16 teams by General Motors, who partnered with Department of Energy to sponsor the competition and its predecessor, Challenge X.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/06/17/general-mechanics-general-motors-lynn-gantts-ecocar-experience

10. CR says:

Winning the Future: On the Ground in Chicago with Small Business Owners

Posted by Rosie Rios on June 17, 2011
    Ed. Note: Cross-posted from Treasury Notes

In his State of the Union address, President Obama laid out a vision for America to win the future by out-innovating, out-educating, and out-building our competitors. At a meeting with small business owners in Cleveland on that initiative, President Obama charged members of his Administration to travel across the country and speak directly with business leaders on the ground in local communities—to hear how we can help them succeed, so that they can help America succeed.

On Wednesday, as part of that outreach effort, I held a roundtable with small business owners in Chicago. That followed meetings I had with business leaders in New Jersey and New York over the last two months.

The Women’s Business Development Center of Chicago, which hosted yesterday’s event, is one of the largest and oldest women’s business assistance programs in the country. This year, they will celebrate their 25th anniversary. The center continues to grow each day, and, to date, they have served approximately 65,000 women small business owners, focusing on companies at every stage in the growth cycle. Their organization has also served as a national model, helping six states establish their own business centers.

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/06/17/winning-future-ground-chicago-small-business-owners

11. CR says:

UN backs gay rights for first time ever

6/17/11 By FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press – 1 hr 47 mins ago

GENEVA – The United Nations endorsed the rights of gay, lesbian and transgender people for the first time ever Friday, passing a resolution hailed as historic by the U.S. and other backers and decried by some African and Muslim countries.

The declaration was cautiously worded, expressing “grave concern” about abuses because of sexual orientation and commissioning a global report on discrimination against gays.

But activists called it an important shift on an issue that has divided the global body for decades, and they credited the Obama administration’s push for gay rights at home and abroad.

“This represents a historic moment to highlight the human rights abuses and violations that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people face around the world based solely on who they are and whom they love,” U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in a statement.

For the entire article: http://goo.gl/024yZ

• COS says:

Hey CR and friends. I heard this on the news this morning. Great news. BTW, I love this thread.

• CR says:

UN rights body hits out against violence based on sexual orientation

17 June 2011 – un.org

The United Nations Human Rights Council today expressed grave concern at the violence and discrimination experienced by people because of their sexual orientation or gender identity and called for a global study to document the suffering they face.
      In a resolution adopted narrowly in Geneva, the Council asked the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) to carry out a study by December that details “discriminatory laws and practices and acts of violence against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity, in all regions of the world.”

The resolution calls on the study to also consider “how international human rights law can be used to end violence and related human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity.”

Twenty-three countries voted in favour of the resolution, 19 countries voted against, and three others abstained.

For the entire article: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=38762&Cr=prejudice&Cr1=

June 17, 2011

Statement by the President on the UN Human Rights Council Resolution on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity

Today, for the first time in history, the United Nations adopted a resolution dedicated to advancing the basic human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons. This marks a significant milestone in the long struggle for equality, and the beginning of a universal recognition that LGBT persons are endowed with the same inalienable rights — and entitled to the same protections — as all human beings. The United States stands proudly with those nations that are standing up to intolerance, discrimination, and homophobia. Advancing equality for LGBT persons should be the work of all peoples and all nations. LGBT persons are entitled to equal treatment, equal protection, and the dignity that comes with being full members of our diverse societies. As the United Nations begins to codify and enshrine the promise of equality for LGBT persons, the world becomes a safer, more respectful, and more humane place for all people.

12. CR says:

June 17, 2011

Readout of the President’s Call With Mavericks Coach Rick Carlisle

Earlier today, President Obama called Rick Carlisle, head coach of the Dallas Mavericks, to congratulate him and his team on winning the NBA Finals. The President told Coach Carlisle that he is really proud of the way the team played and congratulated him on the job he did coaching the team. The President highlighted the performances of several players including Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and JJ Barea. The President said he looked forward to congratulating the team in person at the White House.

13. CR says:

Obama’s Twitter takeover

6/17/11 POLITICO

President Barack Obama’s official Twitter and Facebook accounts will now be managed by campaign organization Obama for America, his 2012 campaign announced Friday.

“Welcome to a new @BarackObama. From now on, #Obama2012 staff will manage this account; tweets from the President will be signed ‘-BO.’” the account tweeted at 7 p.m. That message was accompanied by a photo switch on Obama’s account from a headshot of the president to an Obama for America campaign logo.

The feeds will include dispatches from the campaign trail as well as tweets and posts from the president. Obama for America’s blog gave the reason for the change: “As the President said when he launched this campaign a few months ago, he’s focused on doing the job we elected him to do — so he’s counting on all of us to lead this organization from the grassroots up, helping to shape it as it grows.”

Obama’s Twitter account has over 8.6 million followers and over 21.6 million people have “liked” his Facebook page. The landing page of his Facebook account as of Friday evening was simply a donation form for his 2012 reelection effort.

14. CR says:

Can ‘Golf Diplomacy’ Ease Obama-Boehner Tensions?

June 16, 2011 Kent Klein | White House – VOA

President Barack Obama will host his main political rival, House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner, in a round of golf on Saturday. No substantive agreements are expected, but an afternoon of golf between the two leaders may improve their relationship.

President Obama and the top House Republican have clashed on issues ranging from the U.S. economy to health care reform to the military action in Libya.

In hopes of easing those tensions, Mr. Obama recently invited Speaker Boehner to join him for a round of golf.

Both sides have worked to quash expectations that any serious issues will be resolved on the golf course.

But White House Press Secretary Jay Carney says the president and the speaker may be able to better work together after sharing a relaxing afternoon on the links.

“Spending a number of hours together in that kind of environment, I think, can only help improve the chances of bipartisan cooperation,” he said. “It certainly cannot hurt it. Unless someone wins really big, and then….”

For the entire article: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Can-Golf-Diplomacy-Ease-Obama-Boehner-Tensions—124033869.html

TEE TIME

6/18/11 POLITICO44

9:20 AM: The golf summit is a go. President Obama departed the White House shortly after 9 a.m. with House Speaker John Boehner, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Vice President Joe Biden. Still no word on where the
      foursome will play.

9:40 AM: The golf game is happening at the course at Andrews AFB; the the foursome is playing 18 on the East course, according to a pool report.

Team Obama may have an early edge, thanks to VP Biden’s skills. Here’s the pool readout on the putting action at the first hole:

On the first green, Gov. Kasich, wearing long pants and an Ohio State University [shirt], missed a 30-foot putt but tapped in for par (scores are unconfirmed but an official’s estimation).

Next up, VPOTUS drained a 15-footer to make what we believe is bogey on the par 5 first hole.

POTUS putted next. Wearing long pants and a white polo, he crouched down to line up his shot before just missing a 12-footer. He tapped in for par.

The Speaker, who apparently hit a nice approach shot, putted last, hitting a short putt for par.

After holing out, the foursome walked back to their carts with POTUS patting Boehner on the back. They are riding together while VPOTUS and Kasich ride in the other cart. (10:37 AM)

15. What a difference a day makes. With the campaign’s integration of their Facebook and Twitter accounts with the OFA site, there are hundreds of new posters that are very positive on our President. We will either get more trolls eventually, for trolls like Becky and Chuck will be swallowed up by the masses. Time will tell.

Have a good night CR and everyone. Thanks, CR for all you do.

16. CR says:

Good Saturday morning everyone! I HOPE that you have a good day! :)

17. Good morning CR and everyone. HOPE you all have a wonderful Saturday.

Please join me in lighting a candle for our President, First Family and the Nation.

18. CR says:

I just saw a very good segment of Hardball on the Netroots Nation reaction to POTUS that puts things into a little more of a prospective.

Michelle Goldberg said “It is the activist role to push for more”

I will post the video when it becomes available in the YouTube version; for now here is a link to the video below:

———–

No love lost between Obama and progressives?

June 17: The Daily Beast’s Michelle Goldberg and Salon.com’s Steve Kornacki talk about the progressives’ criticism of President Barack Obama for not pushing hard enough on gay marriage and immigration reform.

19. CR says:

GM investing in two U.S. engine plants, eyes jobs

8/17/11 Neale Gulley – Reuters

TONAWANDA, New York (Reuters) – General Motors Co (GM.N) said on Friday it would invest $65 million in existing engine plants in New York and Tennessee.

GM is spending $33 million at a plant in Tonawanda near Buffalo, New York, and will retain or create 100 jobs. The automaker also will put $32 million into a plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee, about 30 miles south of Nashville, and fill 63 jobs.

Most of the jobs at the plants will be filled by laid off workers. The Tonawanda plant has 83 workers on lay off, down from 179 after GM’s 2009 bankruptcy.
    There are about 300 Spring Hill plant workers on lay off now, down from about 600 at the end of 2010, GM said.

The investments are part of a $2 billion effort by GM announced in May that the company said would keep or add 4,000 jobs in 17 plants in eight U.S. states.

For the entire article: http://goo.gl/z4UZ5

20. CR says:

Latest developments in Arab world’s unrest

6/18/11 By The Associated Press – 1 hr 33 mins ago

SYRIA
    Syrian troops sweep into a village near the Turkish border, cutting food supplies for nearly 2,000 refugees who have so far refused to leave their country. The British Foreign office, meanwhile, urges its citizens in Syria to leave the “immediately.”
    ___

LIBYA
    NATO accuses Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi of using mosques and children’s parks as shields. NATO has been ramping up the pressure on Gadhafi’s more than four-decade-old regime. At least two explosions shake Tripoli as NATO jets soar above the capital.
    ___

YEMEN
    A petition signed by more than 100 influential religious clerics and tribal leaders is calling for the formation of an interim government and presidential elections within 60 days. President Ali Abdullah Saleh is undergoing medical treatment in Saudi Arabia after being wounded in an attack on his palace earlier this month.
    ___

EGYPT
    Egypt’s armed forces fire into the air to disperse thousands of employees demanding higher salaries and promotions at companies affiliated with the Suez Canal. Labor unrest has surged in Egypt after the toppling of longtime President Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising in February.

21. CR says:

Folk opera based on Bill Clinton to open in New York

Jun 18, 2011 By Suzi Parker – Reuters

LITTLE ROCK, Ark (Reuters) – An Americana folk opera based on a teenage Bill Clinton debuts this weekend in New York, featuring some of the exaggerated Southern characters who surrounded him growing up, such as his fun-loving mother.

It is the brainchild of Arkansan Bonnie Montgomery, who has spent the last four years composing “Billy Blythe.”

The opera is based on a day in the life of a teenage Clinton. She enlisted a friend, Britt Barber of Atlanta, to write the lyrics. Last fall, Montgomery premiered a part of the opera in Little Rock.

The Metropolis Opera Project in New York debuts the entire opera at The Medicine Show Theater on Sunday and Monday.

“When we heard about it, it sounded completely intriguing,” said Zach James, the opera’s director. “It was very clear that it was an astonishingly beautiful piece and very much in the vein of what we want to do.”

The Metropolis Opera Project, which is three years old, and Montgomery want to attract a new generation to opera, which is struggling to keep up with modern times. A contemporary opera like Montgomery’s does just that, James said.

The opera’s name derives from Clinton’s birth surname. His biological father, Bill Blythe, died three months before the future president was born in 1946. Clinton later took his step-father’s name.

Montgomery, an Arkansas native and classically trained musician, examines a summer day in 1959 in Hot Springs, Arkansas with a young Clinton who lives with his mother, the late Virginia Clinton Kelley, and his abusive stepfather, Roger Clinton.

For the entire article: http://goo.gl/y0wOC

22. Have a good night CR.

23. CR says:

6:00 PM
    7:00 PM
    8:00 PM
    9:00 PM
    10:00 PM

24. CR says:

Sunday talk show tip sheet

By ZACK HALE | 6/17/11

Outgoing Defense Secretary Robert Gates makes a pair of appearances on this Sunday’s television talk shows, on CNN’s “State of the Union” and on “Fox News Sunday.”

Gates, who began his government career in the CIA and eventually served under eight presidents, will surely discuss the wars in Afghanistan and Libya and the expected cuts in defense spending. He’s retiring at the end of the month, to be replaced by CIA Director Leon Panetta.

On CNN, he’ll be followed by David Axelrod, senior strategist for President Barack Obama’s reelection campaign. And Fox shifts gears with comedian Jon Stewart, host of “The Daily Show,” in his first Sunday show interview.

ABC’s “This Week” sits down with Arizona Sen. John McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee and ranking member of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, and with Pakistan’s ambassador to the United States, Husain Haqqani.

NBC’s “Meet the Press” has Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), another member of the Armed Services Committee.

CBS’s “Face the Nation” hosts Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Democratic Policy Committee Chairman Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich.).

And Bloomberg TV’s “Political Capital” interviews Indiana Sen. Dick Lugar, a Republican who’s facing a challenge from the right in his reelection bid next year.

Finally, C-SPAN’s “Newsmakers” is live from the meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors in Baltimore.

25. CR says:

HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL THE WONDERFUL MALE ROLE MODELS!

Fathers, along with our mothers, are our first teachers, coaches, and advisors. They help us grow into adults, consoling us in times of need and celebrating with us in times of triumph. Strong male role models come in all forms, but they have one thing in common: they show up and give it their best. A father figure may be a biological father, or he may be a surrogate father who raises, mentors, or cares for another’s child. Every family is different, but what matters is the unconditional support, guidance, and love fathers and mentors give us throughout life.”

6/17/11 President Barack Obama

26. jacquelineoboomer says:

Great thread, CR! Happy Father’s Day to President Obama and Vice President Biden … and all the good dads and granddads out there, and other role models …

including my own dear son, who’s also a wonderful dad (and new grampa)!

27. CR says:

Happy Father’s Day!

Posted by Katelyn Sabochik on June 19, 2011

This Father’s Day President Obama is kicking off the Year of Strong Fathers, Strong Families as part of his Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative. It’s an effort with partners from around the nation to create simple opportunities for dads and kids to connect. Whether it’s a free game of bowling, a Major League Baseball or WNBA game, a visit to the zoo or aquarium, or discounts for dads and kids through partners like Groupon and LivingSocial, we’re excited to help create small moments that can have a big impact. You can learn more and take the fatherhood pledge at on http://www.fatherhood.gov.

In addition, President Obama sat down of a TV interview and wrote an op-ed this week discussing the important role fathers play and his own experience as a father. Check out the links to both and other Father’s Day content below:

* TV Interview: Earlier this week, President Obama sat down with Robin Roberts from Good Morning America and discussed the important role fathers play in the lives of their children and his own experience being a father to two young daughters. You can watch the interview on ABC.com.

* Op-Ed: President Obama also wrote an op-ed in People magazine discussing the importance of being a good dad. Check it out on People.com.

* Champions of Change: In honor of Father’s Day, the White House is honoring 15 Champions of Change who recognize the importance of good fathers as role models in young children’s lives and have dedicated themselves to mentoring and supporting fathers across the country.

* Weekly Address: In his Weekly Address this week, President Obama discusses his hardest, but most rewarding job – being a dad.

28. CR says:

Good Sunday morning everyone! I HOPE that you have a Happy Father’s Day! :)

29. Good morning CR and O’Family. HOPE you all have a terrific Sunday and Father’s Day.

30. latoriam23 says:

Good Morning, and Happy Father’s Day if any Fathers are peeping in lol..I have been a little M.I.A. lately with health scares etc..I have revamped my blog and I changed the name. It is now reelectobamabiden2012.com

Tori

31. CR says:

Obama campaign adviser Axelrod needles GOP field

6/19/11 AP

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama’s chief campaign strategist is dismissive of the Republicans who want his boss’ job, saying they are eager to criticize the Democratic incumbent without offering substantive ways to help the country.

David Axelrod says it’s too early to start sizing up the competition, but he took on the emerging field of candidates when asked to assess the GOP’ first major debate of the campaign season last Monday in New Hampshire. Republicans at that forum condemned Obama’s handling of the economy and pledged to repeal his health care overhaul.

“There seemed to be a unanimity of antipathy toward the president,” said Axelrod, who left the White House this year to return to Chicago to work on the re-election campaign. “I didn’t hear a lot of ideas,” but rather “a lot of pat partisan platitudes,” he told CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Axelrod seemed intent on going after former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the perceived front-runner, and citing the support that former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, a Republican who was Obama’s ambassador to China, had given the president.

For the entire article: http://goo.gl/bzrMd

32. COS says:

Happy Father’s Day to all fathers.

This is an interesting article.So Huntsman is proving me right. There is a snake hiding under that preppy perfect look after all. He and Romney are two of a kind.

33. CR says:

Obama reflects on Father’s Day

6/19/11 By Erik Wasson – TheHill

President Obama in an interview on ABC’s “This Week” discussed his relationship with his daughters Malia and Sasha and reminisced about the limited time he spent with his own Kenyan father.

He said that his daughters are the perfect age now and that he anticipates rockier days when they become teenagers.

“Perfect day on Father’s Day is just spending time with them. The great thing — and some of this is Malia and Sasha are the perfect age, you know, 13, 10, where, you know, they are interesting and funny, and they’re their own people, but they still actually want to spend time with you. You know, and that may not last that many more years,” he said.

“I could not ask for better kids, and so I’m not anticipating complete mayhem for the next four or five years. But I understand, you know, that, you know, teenagehood is complicated,” he said.

Obama said that he is maintaining his routine of having a hour or hour and a half dinner with his kids every night at 6:30 unless there is an “actual national emergency.”

Since he hardly knew his own father, Obama relies on his mom as a model for parenting, he said.

He said part of his philosophy is “your child isn’t your friend, at least when they’re young. You’re the parent. And so you’ve got to set limits for them.”

Although Obama focuses on his kids on Father’s Day he also thinks back to a one-month visit he had from his own father.

“The fact that certain interests that I have, in basketball or jazz music, came from a one-month visit that I had from my father,” the president said. “You know, he gave me my first basketball.”

34. CR says:

Gates Discusses Way Forward in Afghanistan

June 19, 2011 By Jim Garamone – American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON – The Taliban must know they are beaten before they reconcile in any meaningful way, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said on CNN’s “State of the Union” program today.

Gates told Candy Crowley that U.S. and coalition diplomats have been carrying out preliminary negotiations with the Taliban for a couple of weeks.

“My own view is that real reconciliation talks are not likely to make any substantive headway until at least this winter,” Gates said. “I think the Taliban have to feel themselves under military pressure and begin to believe they can’t win, before they are willing to have a serious conversation.”

American, Afghan and coalition troops have made significant gains over the past 18 months, the secretary said. Coalition and Afghan troops have booted the Taliban from Kandahar and Helmand provinces – traditionally the stronghold of the group.

The Taliban will have to meet the conditions for reconciliation including totally disavowing al-Qaida and supporting the Afghan constitution, the secretary said.

The Afghan troop draw down will be announced shortly, but everything will be conditions-based and even with a draw down there will be a significant number of American troops remaining in country, he said. President Obama has added 65,000 troops to Afghanistan since he took office.

The pace and the scope would be based on the conditions on the ground. “We will essentially present the president with options and with the different levels of risk associated with those options and he will decide,” he said.

The secretary sees the conflict in Afghanistan ending the same way it has in Iraq – “with us playing a key role for some period of time, building up the local security forces, … degrading the capability of the Taliban to the point where the Afghan forces can take care of them, and then transitioning the responsibility to the Afghans,” he said.

For the entire article: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=64372

35. CR says:

Fiscal Crisis Requires Responsible Approach, Lynn Says

June 19, 2011 By John D. Banusiewicz – American Forces Press Service

PARIS– A fiscal crisis that’s putting the squeeze on defense budgets and related industries requires difficult choices for leaders and a responsible approach that manages the spending slowdown while retaining military effectiveness, Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn III said here today.

In a keynote speech at an Aerospace Industry Association dinner, Lynn said he’d received a letter from a 9-year-old boy named Hunter, who enclosed a drawing of a futuristic bomber he had designed.

“Hunter’s letter highlights the issues confronting us,” Lynn said. “Our future security is inextricability tied to the technology we produce, but we are entering a period of significant resource constraints.

“For the past decade, we have lived in a world where when we faced new security challenges, we could meet them with increased resources,” Lynn said. “We have lived in a world where when we wanted to build systems with new technology, like Hunter’s bomber, we could increase our budget. Going forward, we will not have that luxury. We are going to have to make hard choices.”

The central challenge in defense planning, the deputy secretary said, is how to manage a slowdown in spending responsibly in the midst of two active conflicts, other commitments and numerous threats. He noted that the United States and almost all of its European allies are experiencing a significant fiscal crisis that requires everything to be on the table — including revenues, entitlements, domestic discretionary spending and defense spending – in regaining solid financial footing.

“Managing our militaries under these circumstances will challenge defense policymakers and industry executives alike,” he said. “We have at present the most capable, professional fighting force the world has ever known. Our challenge is to accommodate our changing fiscal circumstances without undercutting our military effectiveness, now or in the future.”

For the entire article: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=64374

36. CR says:

Latest developments in Arab world’s unrest

6/20/11 By The Associated Press

SYRIA
    Syrian troops combing through rebellious villages near the Turkish border set fire to homes and a bakery, cutting off a lifeline to thousands of uprooted people stranded in miserable open-air encampments. The military carries out mass arrests and throws up checkpoints in the village of Bdama and surrounding areas to block residents from fleeing across the frontier, as thousands of others have done. Turkey, whose leaders have denounced the Damascus regime’s deadly crackdown on dissent, begin distributing food to those encamped on the Syrian side of the border.
    ___

LIBYA
    Libya’s government says NATO warplanes struck a residential neighborhood in the capital and killed nine civilians, including two children, adding to its accusations that the alliance is striking nonmilitary targets. NATO acknowledges its planes hit targets in Tripoli in the early hours of Sunday and says it is investigating whether it was responsible for the alleged strike on a heavily damaged building. Whether the airstrikes are eventually confirmed or not, the allegations provide supporters of Moammar Gadhafi’s regime a new rallying point against the international intervention in Libya’s civil war. The foreign minister calls for a “global jihad” on the West in response.
    ___

EGYPT
    Calls are growing in Egypt for a delay of September’s parliamentary elections to give parties formed in the aftermath of Hosni Mubarak’s ouster more time to organize. The push, which now has the prime minister’s backing, is aimed at keeping the well-organized Muslim Brotherhood from dominating the next legislature and exerting disproportionate Islamist influence over the drafting of a new constitution. The debate over the timing of the elections and the new constitution is a political novelty in a country where elections under the 29-year rule of Mubarak were routinely marred by widespread fraud and their results known before the first ballot was cast.
    ___

YEMEN
    Government artillery shelling of an area in southern Yemen kills 12 al-Qaida-linked militants and wounds three others. The shelling is concentrated on the Dufas area in Zinjibar, capital of Abyan province. Islamic militants are taking advantage of internal strife in Yemen to overrun parts of the country.
    ___

TUNISIA
    Tunisia’s former autocratic leader, whose downfall triggered uprisings in the Arab world, has condemned his upcoming trial in absentia in Tunis as a “shameful masquerade.” Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, in exile in Saudi Arabia, also says in a statement from his French lawyer that he didn’t flee Tunisia but left to avoid “fratricidal and deadly confrontations.” It was the first public statement from the 74-year-old Ben Ali in the five months since he left Tunisia after a monthlong uprising.
    ___

MOROCCO
    Pro-government demonstrators in Morocco attack democracy activists protesting constitutional reforms recently unveiled by the king. Hundreds of youths pledging their support to King Mohammed VI scatter the pro-reform demonstrations taking place in a lower-income neighborhood in Rabat, hunting protesters through the narrow streets. After pro-democracy protests swept Morocco in February, the monarch unveiled a series of constitutional reforms Friday. Activists complain they are insufficient and pledge to keep up their weekly demonstrations.
    ___

BAHRAIN
    Lawyers for three former editors of Bahrain’s main opposition newspaper tell a court that the journalists were tricked into publishing false news about the Sunni monarchy’s crackdown on Shiite-led protesters as part of a plot to undermine a key opposition voice. The trial of the former Al Wasat editors is part of a sweeping crackdown on the island nation’s Shiite-led opposition, which has been protesting for greater rights and political freedoms in the Gulf island kingdom. The editors were forced to resign from Bahrain’s most widely read newspaper after the government imposed emergency rule in March to quell dissent.

37. CR says:

President Obama Celebrates Father’s Day, Takes Daughters On Ice Cream Run To “Thomas Sweet”

JUNE 19, 2011 obamafoodorama.blogspot.com

After a quiet day at the White House following Saturday’s Golf Summit, President Obama took daughters Malia and Sasha out for a quick, sweet celebration of Father’s Day at Thomas Sweet, an ice cream and chocolate shop in Georgetown. They were accompanied by the President’s unidentified niece and nephew. The President was clad in a casual white shirt and dark slacks, and the girls wore denim shorts and t-shirts for the low-key celebration. Onlookers crowded in as the motorcade pulled up, and were held back by the President’s security detail. (Above: The President and Sasha leaving Thomas Sweet)

No word on ic cream selections, but Thomas Sweet bills itself as “the favored ice cream shop of prominent Washingtonians for generations, preferred by senators and Presidential families.” The sweetery offers ice cream with “Blend-Ins,” soft frozen yogurt, chocolate, and fresh fudge.

The girls leave late tonight to accompany First Lady Obama on a week-long trip to South Africa and Botswana, so it was a bit of a farewell party, too. Their cousins, Leslie and Avery Robinson, will also be on the trip, so it’s a safe bet that they were the niece and nephew on the Presidential ice cream outing.

For the entire article: http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/06/president-obama-celebrates-fathers-day.html

38. CR says:

emancipation_proclamation

Juneteenth Celebration

It is the name for a holiday celebrating June 19, 1865, the day when Union soldiers arrived in Texas and spread the word that President Lincoln had delivered his Emancipation Procalamation. News traveled so slowly in those days that Texas did not hear of Lincoln’s Proclamation, which he gave on January 1, 1863, until more than two years after it was issued!

The proclamation declared “that all persons held as slaves” within the rebellious states “are, and henceforward shall be free.” Thus, the Emancipation Proclamation was limited in many ways. It applied only to states that had seceded from the Union, leaving slavery untouched in the loyal border states. It also expressly exempted parts of the Confederacy that had already come under Northern control. Most important, the freedom it promised depended upon Union military victory.

Although Juneteenth has been informally celebrated each year since 1865, it wasn’t until June 3, 1979, that Texas became the first state to proclaim Emancipation Day (Juneteenth) an official state holiday. But it is much more than a holiday. Juneteenth has become a day for African Americans to celebrate their freedom, culture, and achievements. It is a day for all Americans to celebrate African American history and rejoice in their freedom.

Source: http://www.americaslibrary.gov/es/tx/es_tx_june_1.html

June 19, 2011
      Statement by the President on the Observance of Juneteenth

On this day in 1865, more than two years after President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the word finally came down to slaves in Galveston, Texas, that they were free and entitled to the same “absolute equality of rights” and “right to property” protected under law.

It would take many more years and many more struggles before African-Americans received full and equal treatment under the law. But today, here and around the world, we commemorate Juneteenth as a time to celebrate the rich heritage and significant contributions of African-Americans, and to recommit ourselves – as Americans – to the enduring pursuit of a more perfect union and to the eternal principles of liberty and justice for all.

39. CR says:

*********************
    THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED

NBLB Come on over to my newest post

titled: “First Lady Michelle Obama’s African Travel 2011 ”
    **********************

To get to newest post click on “HOME” at the top of the page and click on the title of the newest post

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 282 other followers