Religious Tolerance

US Bill of Rights - Amendment I

Source: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html

~~~~~

“I will do everything that I can as long as I am President of the United States to remind the American people that we are one nation under God, and we may call that God different names but we remain one nation. And as somebody who relies heavily on my Christian faith in my job, I understand the passions that religious faith can raise. But I’m also respectful that people of different faiths can practice their religion, even if they don’t subscribe to the exact same notions that I do, and that they are still good people, and they are my neighbors and they are my friends, and they are fighting alongside us in our battles.”

September 10, 2010 President Obama

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8/10/12  10:00 AM ET Sikh Temple of Wisconsin wake and memorial service

Support Wisconsin Shooting Victims - Attend a Support Event

8/6/12 - 8/26/12 http://www.kaurista.com/events/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I was in Aurora to meet those who lost loved ones during that terrible shooting. And I just had a chance to see some of the first responders who helped to save lives and comfort families during that terrible, terrible day.  Unfortunately, since that time, we’ve had another tragedy in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, where six members of our community were killed as they entered into a house of worship.

And so I think we can all acknowledge, we’ve got to put an end to this kind of senseless violence  — whether it’s in Aurora, whether it’s in Oak Creek, whether it’s in Tucson, whether it’s in cities all across America where too many lives are cut short because of senseless violence. This is going to have to stop. And as an American family — as one American family — we’re going to have to come together and look at all the approaches that we can take to try to bring an end to it.

And I want you to all know that the thoughts and prayers of the entire nation remain with those in Aurora. And even though the perpetrators of these acts have received a lot of attention, attention on them will fade and what will be replaced are the stories of heroism and hope that we’ve seen here in Colorado, and in Wisconsin, and across the nation. That’s what we’ll remember. That’s what’s going to matter.  That’s what we will value — the strength and the resilience and the care and the love of the American people.”

August 08, 2012 President Obama

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August 08, 2012

Readout of the President’s Call with the Prime Minister of India
President Obama spoke with Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh this morning to express condolences for victims of the senseless attack at the gurdwara in Wisconsin, which took the lives of Indian nationals as well as Americans, and to convey the solidarity of the American people. President Obama reiterated that the Sikh community is an essential and vibrant part of the American family. The President also underscored that the incident is particularly tragic because it took place in a house of worship. Prime Minister Singh expressed his gratitude for the many messages and gestures of support from the United States, and for the prompt reaction and heroism of the local police department. The two leaders re-affirmed their nations’ commitment to the shared values of pluralism, religious freedom, and freedom of worship.

Presidential Proclamation–Honoring the Victims of the Tragedy in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

About these ads

76 Responses to Religious Tolerance

1. CR says:

WH

Friday, August 10, 2012

All Times Eastern

President Obama attends meetings at the White House.

7:00 AM
    8:00 AM
    9:00 AM
    10:00 AM
    11:00 AM
    President Obama receives the presidential daily briefing.

12:00 PM
    12:15 PM
    White House Press Secretary Jay Carney briefs the press.

1:00 PM
    2:00 PM
    3:00 PM
    4:00 PM
    5:00 PM
    6:00 PM
    7:00 PM
    8:00 PM
    8:35 PM
    President Obama hosts an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan.

9:00 PM
    10:00 PM

2. CR says:

cactus_flower

Religious Tolerance

US Bill of Rights – Amendment I

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Source: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript

The International Religious Freedom Act of 1998

The International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 established the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom which investigates the records of over 200 other nations with respect to religious freedom, and makes recommendations to submit nations with egregious records to ongoing scrutiny and possible economic sanctions. Many human rights organizations have urged the United States to be still more vigorous in imposing sanctions on countries that do not permit or tolerate religious freedom.

The International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 (Public Law 105–292, as amended by Public Law 106–55, Public Law 106–113, Public Law 107–228, Public Law 108–332, and Public Law 108–458) was passed to promote religious freedom as a foreign policy of the United States, and to advocate on the behalf of the individuals viewed as persecuted in foreign countries on the account of religion. The Act was signed into law by President Bill Clinton (D) on October 27, 1998.

January 15, 2010

Presidential Proclamation–Religious Freedom Day

A PROCLAMATION

Long before our Nation’s independence, weary settlers sought refuge on our shores to escape religious persecution on other continents. Recognizing their strife and toil, it was the genius of America’s forefathers to protect our freedom of religion, including the freedom to practice none at all. Many faiths are now practiced in our Nation’s houses of worship, and that diversity is built upon a rich tradition of religious tolerance. On this day, we commemorate an early realization of our Nation’s founding ideals: Virginia’s 1786 Statute for Religious Freedom.

The Virginia Statute was more than a law. It was a statement of principle, declaring freedom of religion as the natural right of all humanity — not a privilege for any government to give or take away. Penned by Thomas Jefferson nd championed in the Virginia legislature by James Madison, it barred compulsory support of any church and ensured the freedom of all people to profess their faith openly, without fear of persecution. Five years later, the First Amendment of our Bill of Rights followed the Virginia Statute’s model, stating, quot;Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . .”.

Our Nation’s enduring commitment to the universal human right of religious freedom extends beyond our borders as we advocate for all who are denied the ability to choose and live their faith. My Administration will continue to oppose growing trends in many parts of the world to restrict religious expression.

Faith can bring us closer to one another, and our freedom to practice our faith and follow our conscience is central to our ability to live in harmony. On Religious Freedom Day, let us pledge our constant support to all who struggle against religious oppression and rededicate ourselves to fostering peace with those whose beliefs differ from our own. In doing so, we reaffirm our common humanity and respect for all people with whom we share a brief moment on this Earth.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 16, 2010, as Religious Freedom Day. I call on all Americans to commemorate this day with events and activities that teach us about this critical foundation of our Nation’s liberty, and show us how we can protect it for future generations here and around the world.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifteenth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

September 10, 2010

Press Conference by President Obama

Anne Kornblut [Washington Post reporter asks a question]

Q Thank you, Mr. President. Nine years after the September 11th attacks, why do you think it is that we are now seeing such an increase in suspicion and outright resentment of Islam, especially given that it has been one of your priorities to increase — to improve relations with the Muslim world?

THE PRESIDENT: I think that at a time when the country is anxious generally and going through a tough time, then fears can surface, suspicions, divisions can surface in a society. And so I think that plays a role in it.

One of the things that I most admired about President Bush was after 9/11, him being crystal-clear about the fact that we were not at war with Islam. We were at war with terrorists and murderers who had perverted Islam, had stolen its banner to carry out their outrageous acts. And I was so proud of the country rallying around that idea, that notion that we are not going to be divided by religion; we’re not going to be divided by ethnicity. We are all Americans. We stand together against those who would try to do us harm.

And that’s what we’ve done over the last nine years. And we should take great pride in that. And I think it is absolutely important now for the overwhelming majority of the American people to hang on to that thing that is best in us, a belief in religious tolerance, clarity about who our enemies are — our enemies are al Qaeda and their allies who are trying to kill us, but have killed more Muslims than just about anybody on Earth. We have to make sure that we don’t start turning on each other.

And I will do everything that I can as long as I am President of the United States to remind the American people that we are one nation under God, and we may call that God different names but we remain one nation. And as somebody who relies heavily on my Christian faith in my job, I understand the passions that religious faith can raise. But I’m also respectful that people of different faiths can practice their religion, even if they don’t subscribe to the exact same notions that I do, and that they are still good people, and they are my neighbors and they are my friends, and they are fighting alongside us in our battles.

And I want to make sure that this country retains that sense of purpose. And I think tomorrow is a wonderful day for us to remind ourselves of that.”

For the entire transcript: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/09/10/press-conference-president-obama

———-

President Obama: 9/11 a Day to Remember Religious Tolerance

Uploaded by PBSNewsHour on Sep 10, 2010

• CR says:

Obama talks about his faith

8/21/12 12:44 PM EDT POLITICO44

In an interview with the Washington National Cathedral magazine, President Obama discussed how his faith influenced his politics — saying that at the end of the day ‘God is in control.’

“First and foremost, my Christian faith gives me a perspective and security that I don’t think I would have otherwise: that I am loved. That, at the end of the day, God is in control,” Obama said.

Obama also tied faith in God to his belief in a compassionate role for government.

“Faith tells us that there is something about this world that ties our interest to the welfare of a child who can’t get the health care they need, or a parent who can’t find work after the plant shut down, or a family going hungry,” Obama told the magazine.

“Faith has always provided a moral framework and vocabulary for this country to come to terms with its most pressing challenges. One of the great things about this nation is that it is a place where people from all walks of life can advocate on behalf of their faith and beliefs and be open about what drives and motivates them,” Obama said.

“From slavery to the suffrage movement to civil rights, faith — and the moral obligations that derive from our faith — have always helped us to navigate some of our greatest moral challenges with a recognition that there’s something bigger than ourselves: we have obligations that extend beyond our own self-interest,” Obama said.

Obama also briefly addressed the ongoing (false) doubts about his faith — including rumors that he is a Muslim (which he is not).

“I have a job to do as president, and that does not involve convincing folks that my faith in Jesus is legitimate and real. I do my best to live out my faith, and to stay in the Word, and to make my life look more like His,” Obama said “What I can do is just keep on following Him, and serve others—trying to make folks’ lives a little better using this humbling position that I hold.”

Obama also nodded to religious pluralism in the U.S. — and the idea that there are people of many faiths in the country.

“This country has a rich tradition of seeking to create an environment where people of different beliefs can live together and share common goals. As Americans, I think we understand that—in protecting our ability to advocate for our own positions—we must protect the ability of those who come from different backgrounds and beliefs to do so as well. Faith demands that we see the image of God in one another and respect it,” Obama said.

“Faith can express itself in people in many ways, and I think it is important that we not make faith alone a barometer of a person’s worth, value, or character,” Obama said.

Promoting Religious Tolerance Around the World

JULY 27, 2011 POSTED BY SUZAN JOHNSON COOK – state.gov

As the Ambassador at Large for International Religious Freedom, a big part of my job is combating religious intolerance and encouraging respect for religious diversity around the world. It is my belief that in order to live peacefully side by side, we cannot allow violence based on religion to continue under any circumstances. My heart goes out to the families and loved ones of those injured and killed in Norway last week, and I join the President and Secretary in offering my deepest sympathies in this moment of sorrow. It is heart-wrenching to hear every day about violence committed in the name of religion or because of one’s religious beliefs or lack of religious belief.

It is with this in mind that I want to share with you some of the ways that we are working to combat religious intolerance. During my recent trip to Istanbul, Turkey, I traveled with Secretary Clinton and Ambassador to the Human Rights Council Eileen Donahoe to discuss coordinated international strategies to combat intolerance, discrimination, and violence based on religion or belief with our international partners. We met with leaders of both the Organization for Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the European Union Office of the High Representative for Foreign Policy and Security in Istanbul at the historic Center for Islamic Arts and History. Along with several foreign ministers, European Union High Representative Ashton, and other senior diplomats, Secretary Clinton and OIC Secretary General Ihsanoglu made a public commitment to address religious intolerance around the world.

For more; http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/site/entry/religious_tolerance_around_the_world

February 02, 2012

Remarks by the President at the National Prayer Breakfast

Washington Hilton
      Washington, D.C.

9:10 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Please, please, everybody have a seat. Well, good morning, everybody. It is good to be with so many friends united in prayer. And I begin by giving all praise and honor to God for bringing us together here today.

I want to thank our co-chairs Mark and Jeff; to my dear friend, the guy who always has my back, Vice President Biden. (Applause.) All the members of Congress –- Joe deserves a hand –- all the members of Congress and my Cabinet who are here today; all the distinguished guests who’ve traveled a long way to be part of this. I’m not going to be as funny as Eric — (laughter) — but I’m grateful that he shared his message with us. Michelle and I feel truly blessed to be here.

This is my third year coming to this prayer breakfast as President. As Jeff mentioned, before that, I came as senator. I have to say, it’s easier coming as President. (Laughter.) I don’t have to get here quite as early. But it’s always been an opportunity that I’ve cherished. And it’s a chance to step back for a moment, for us to come together as brothers and sisters and seek God’s face together. At a time when it’s easy to lose ourselves in the rush and clamor of our own lives, or get caught up in the noise and rancor that too often passes as politics today, these moments of prayer slow us down. They humble us. They remind us that no matter how much responsibility we have, how fancy our titles, how much power we think we hold, we are imperfect vessels. We can all benefit from turning to our Creator, listening to Him. Avoiding phony religiosity, listening to Him.

This is especially important right now, when we’re facing some big challenges as a nation. Our economy is making progress as we recover from the worst crisis in three generations, but far too many families are still struggling to find work or make the mortgage, pay for college, or, in some cases, even buy food. Our men and women in uniform have made us safer and more secure, and we were eternally grateful to them, but war and suffering and hardship still remain in too many corners of the globe. And a lot of those men and women who we celebrate on Veterans Day and Memorial Day come back and find that, when it comes to finding a job or getting the kind of care that they need, we’re not always there the way we need to be.

It’s absolutely true that meeting these challenges requires sound decision-making, requires smart policies. We know that part of living in a pluralistic society means that our personal religious beliefs alone can’t dictate our response to every challenge we face.

But in my moments of prayer, I’m reminded that faith and values play an enormous role in motivating us to solve some of our most urgent problems, in keeping us going when we suffer setbacks, and opening our minds and our hearts to the needs of others.

We can’t leave our values at the door. If we leave our values at the door, we abandon much of the moral glue that has held our nation together for centuries, and allowed us to become somewhat more perfect a union. Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, Jane Addams, Martin Luther King, Jr., Dorothy Day, Abraham Heschel — the majority of great reformers in American history did their work not just because it was sound policy, or they had done good analysis, or understood how to exercise good politics, but because their faith and their values dictated it, and called for bold action — sometimes in the face of indifference, sometimes in the face of resistance.

This is no different today for millions of Americans, and it’s certainly not for me.

I wake up each morning and I say a brief prayer, and I spend a little time in scripture and devotion. And from time to time, friends of mine, some of who are here today, friends like Joel Hunter or T.D. Jakes, will come by the Oval Office or they’ll call on the phone or they’ll send me a email, and we’ll pray together, and they’ll pray for me and my family, and for our country.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/02/02/remarks-president-national-prayer-breakfast

May 01, 2012

Presidential Proclamation — National Day of Prayer, 2012

NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER, 2012
      - – - – - – -
      BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
      A PROCLAMATION

Prayer has always been a part of the American story, and today countless Americans rely on prayer for comfort, direction, and strength, praying not only for themselves, but for their communities, their country, and the world.

On this National Day of Prayer, we give thanks for our democracy that respects the beliefs and protects the religious freedom of all people to pray, worship, or abstain according to the dictates of their conscience. Let us pray for all the citizens of our great Nation, particularly those who are sick, mourning, or without hope, and ask God for the sustenance to meet the challenges we face as a Nation. May we embrace the responsibility we have to each other, and rely on the better angels of our nature in service to one another. Let us be humble in our convictions, and courageous in our virtue. Let us pray for those who are suffering around the world, and let us be open to opportunities to ease that suffering.

Let us also pay tribute to the men and women of our Armed Forces who have answered our country’s call to serve with honor in the pursuit of peace. Our grateful Nation is humbled by the sacrifices made to protect and defend our security and freedom. Let us pray for the continued strength and safety of our service members and their families. While we pause to honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice defending liberty, let us remember and lend our voices to the principles for which they fought — unity, human dignity, and the pursuit of justice.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 3, 2012, as a National Day of Prayer. I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.

BARACK OBAMA

• CR says:

California man confirms role in anti-Islam film

9/13/2012 06:54:19 AM PDT By GILLIAN FLACCUS and STEPHEN BRAUN, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — The anti-Muslim film implicated in mob protests against U.S. diplomatic missions in the Mideast received logistical help from a man once convicted of financial crimes and featured actors who complained that their inflammatory dialogue was dubbed in after filming.

The self-proclaimed director of “ Innocence of Muslims” initially claimed a Jewish and Israeli background. But others involved in the film said his statements were contrived as evidence mounted that the film’s key player was a southern Californian Coptic Christian with a checkered past.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, told The Associated Press in an interview outside Los Angeles Wednesday that he managed logistics for the company that produced “Innocence of Muslims,” which mocked Muslims and the prophet Muhammad.

The movie has been blamed for inflaming mobs that attacked U.S. missions in Egypt and Libya this week as well as U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Thursday.

Nakoula denied he had directed the film, though he said he knew the self-described filmmaker, Sam Bacile. But the cellphone number that the AP contacted Tuesday to reach the filmmaker who identified himself as Bacile traced to the same address near Los Angeles where Nakoula was located.

Nakoula told the AP he is a Coptic Christian and supported the concerns of Christian Copts about their treatment by Muslims.

The film was implicated in protests that resulted in the burning of the U.S. consulate Tuesday in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. Libyan officials said Wednesday that Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other embassy employees were killed during the mob violence, but U.S. officials now say they are investigating whether the assault was a planned terrorist strike linked to Tuesday’s 11-year anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.

Nakoula denied he had posed as Bacile. Federal court papers filed in a 2010 criminal prosecution against him said Nakoula had used numerous aliases in the past. Among the fake names, the documents said, were Nicola Bacily and Erwin Salameh.

During a conversation outside his home, Nakoula offered his driver’s license to show his identity but kept his thumb over his middle name, Basseley. Records checks by the AP subsequently found that middle name as well as other connections to the Bacile persona.

The AP located Bacile after obtaining his cellphone number from Morris Sadek, a conservative Coptic Christian in the U.S. who had promoted the anti-Muslim film in recent days on his website. Egypt’s Christian Coptic populace has long decried what they describe as a history of discrimination and occasional violence from the country’s Arab majority.

Pastor Terry Jones, of Gainesville, Fla., who sparked outrage in the Arab world when he burned Qurans on the ninth anniversary of 9/11, said he spoke with the movie’s director on the phone Wednesday and prayed for him. Jones said he has not met the filmmaker in person but added that the man contacted him a few weeks ago about promoting the movie. Jones and others who have dealt with the filmmaker said Wednesday that Bacile was hiding his real identity.

“I have not met him. Sam Bacile, that is not his real name,” Jones said. “I just talked to him on the phone. He is definitely in hiding and does not reveal his identity. He was quite honestly fairly shook up concerning the events and what is happening. A lot of people are not supporting him. He was generally a little shook up concerning this situation.”

The YouTube account under the username “Sam Bacile,” which was used to publish excerpts of the provocative movie in July, was used to post comments online as recently as Tuesday, including this defense of the film written in Arabic: “It is a 100 percent American movie, you cows.”

Nakoula, who talked guardedly about his role, pleaded no contest in 2010 to federal bank fraud charges in California and was ordered to pay more than $790,000 in restitution. He was also sentenced to 21 months in federal prison and ordered not to use computers or the Internet for five years without approval from his probation officer.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Leigh Williams said Nakoula set up fraudulent bank accounts using stolen identities and Social Security numbers; then, checks from those accounts would be deposited into other bogus accounts from which Nakoula would withdraw money at ATM machines.

It was “basically a check-kiting scheme,” the prosecutor told the AP. “You try to get the money out of the bank before the bank realizes they are drawn from a fraudulent account. There basically is no money.”

American actors and actresses who appeared in “Innocence of Muslims” issued a joint statement Wednesday saying they were misled about the project and alleged that some of their dialogue was crudely dubbed during post-production.

In the English-language version of the trailer, direct references to Muhammad appear to be the result of post-production changes to the movie. Either actors aren’t seen when the name “Muhammad” is spoken in the overdubbed sound, or they appear to be mouthing something else as the name of the prophet is spoken.

“The entire cast and crew are extremely upset and feel taken advantage of by the producer,” said the statement, obtained by the Los Angeles Times. “We are 100 percent not behind this film and were grossly misled about its intent and purpose. We are shocked by the drastic rewrites of the script and lies that were told to all involved. We are deeply saddened by the tragedies that have occurred.”

One of the actresses, Cindy Lee Garcia, told the Gawker.com website that the film was originally titled “Desert Warriors” and said the script did not contain offensive references to Islam. She said the director, who identified himself as Bacile, told her then that he was Egyptian.

The person who identified himself as Bacile and described himself as the film’s writer and director told the AP on Tuesday that he had gone into hiding. But doubts rose about the man’s identity amid a flurry of false claims about his background and role in the purported film.

Bacile told the AP he was an Israeli-born, 56-year-old Jewish writer and director. But a Christian activist involved in the film project, Steve Klein, told the AP on Wednesday that Bacile was a pseudonym and that he was Christian.

For more: http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_21533466/california-man-confirms-role-anti-islam-film?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

U.S. Embassy Condemns Florida Church Plans To Burn Copies Of the Koran

September 8, 2010 islamabad.usembassy.gov

Islamabad – The U.S. Embassy condemns plans by a Florida church to burn hundreds of copies of the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11.

“We condemn acts that are disrespectful, intolerant and divisive,” said Charge d’Affaires Stephen C. Engelken. “We are deeply concerned about all deliberate attempts to offend members of any religious or ethnic group.”

“We believe firmly in freedom of religion and freedom of expression; they are universal rights, enshrined in the U.S. Constitution and in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We reaffirm our position that the deliberate destruction of any holy book is an abhorrent act, said Engelken.”

Officials in Gainesville, Florida, where the church is located, denied the church’s permit for the burning under the local fire ordinance and have said they will take further steps if the Church goes forward with its plans.

Public condemnation of this event has come from a variety of organizations including the National Association of Evangelicals, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Anti-Defamation League.

As she hosted an Iftar meal at the State Department in Washington Tuesday evening, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton welcomed the condemnation of the planned act, saying “I am heartened by the clear, unequivocal condemnation of this disrespectful, disgraceful act that has come from American religious leaders of all faiths, from evangelical Christians to Jewish rabbis, as well as secular U.S. leaders and opinion-makers. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. Many of you know that in 1790, George Washington wrote to a synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island, that this country will give ‘to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.’”

• CR says:

Clinton: Video is ‘disgusting and reprehensible’

9/13/12 10:34 AM EDT By JENNIFER EPSTEIN – POLITICO44

The anti-Islam video that sparked protests in Libya and Egypt is “disgusting and reprehensible,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Thursday, but it’s no reason for violence — especially against diplomats.

“Let me state very clearly — and I hope it is obvious — that the United States government had absolutely nothing to do with this video. We absolutely reject its content and message. America’s commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation,” Clinton said at the State Department, as she held a pre-scheduled meeting with Moroccan leaders.

But the violent reaction to the video has been unacceptable, she said. “Violence, we believe, has no place in religion and is no way to honor religion. Islam, like other religions respects, the fundamental dignity of human beings, and it is a violation of that fundamental dignity to wage attacks on innocence.”

Still, freedom of speech and freedom of religion are ideals that the United States upholds even when the results outrage some. “I know it is hard for some people to understand why the United States cannot or does not just prevent these kinds of reprehensible videos from ever seeing the light of day,” Clinton said, directing her remarks toward the Muslim world.

Current technologies mean there’s no way of effectively muzzling speech, she said, “but even if it were possible, our country does have a long tradition of free expression, which is enshrined in our Constitution and in our law. We do not stop individual citizens from expressing their views no matter how distasteful they may be.”

Clinton also spoke out against violence targeting diplomatic facilities.

“It is especially wrong for violence to be directed against diplomatic missions,” she said. “These are places whose very purpose is peaceful to promote better understanding across countries and cultures. All governments have a responsibility to protect those spaces and people, because to attack an embassy is to attack the idea that we can work together to build understanding and a better future.”

• CR says:

California man linked to anti-Islam film taken in for questioning

9/15/12 By Alex Dobuzinskis | Reuters – 2 hrs 0 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A California man convicted of bank fraud was taken in for questioning on Saturday by officers investigating possible probation violations stemming from the making of an anti-Islam film that triggered violent protests in the Muslim world.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, voluntarily left his home in the early hours of Saturday morning for the meeting in a sheriff’s station in the Los Angeles suburb of Cerritos, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

“He will be interviewed by federal probation officers,” Whitmore said. He said Nakoula had not been placed under arrest but would not be returning home immediately. “He was never put in handcuffs… It was all voluntary.”

Nakoula, who has denied involvement in the film in a phone call to his Coptic Christian bishop, was ushered out of his home and into a waiting car by several sheriff’s deputies, his face shielded by a scarf, hat and sunglasses.

The crudely made 13-minute English-language film, filmed in California and circulated on the Internet under several titles including “Innocence of Muslims”, mocks the Prophet Mohammad.

The film sparked a violent protest at the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi during which the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed on Tuesday. Protests have spread to other countries across the Muslim world.
        For many Muslims, any depiction of the prophet is blasphemous. Caricatures deemed insulting in the past have provoked protests and drawn condemnations from officials, preachers, ordinary Muslims and many Christians.

For more: http://news.yahoo.com/u-investigating-man-linked-anti-islam-film-011018967.html

US Pulls Embassy Staff Amid al-Qaida Calls for Violence

September 16, 2012 6:26 AM VOA News

The U.S. has ordered the departure of all non-essential personnel and the families of diplomats from its embassies in Sudan and Tunisia.

The State Department order Saturday also warned U.S. citizens against travel to the two countries because of concerns about rising anti-American violence.

A U.S. made, anti-Muslim film prompted a wave of protests and violence last week across the Middle East and other regions.

The man allegedly behind the private film was questioned Saturday by U.S. authorities in California.

Some parts of the Muslim world returned to calm Saturday following violence that began Tuesday when U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens was killed along with three other Americans. Several demonstrators have died since then.

Al-Qaida’s branch in Yemen has called for more violence against American embassies after days of deadly protests against the film.

Sudanese police patrolled the streets of Khartoum Saturday, a day after protesters attacked the British, German and U.S. embassies.

Sudan’s foreign minister, Ali Karti, has rejected a U.S. request to send Marines to the capital to protect the embassy.

Tunisia’s Foreign Ministry has condemned the violence and says it is committed to protecting all embassies and diplomatic missions.

Egyptian workers spent Saturday cleaning up Cairo’s Tahrir Square after a night of fighting between police and demonstrators that left one person dead.

Other countries that had seen days of protests, including Tunisia and Yemen, were also quieter Saturday. But new protests erupted in Afghanistan, India, Indonesia and Sydney, Australia.

Remarks at Reception Marking Eid ul-Fitr

Hillary Rodham Clinton
      Secretary of State
      Ben Franklin Room
      Washington, DC

September 13, 2012 state.gov

SECRETARY CLINTON: Good evening, and although I am many weeks overdue in saying it: Eid Mubarak. No matter how belated we are honoring Eid and the end of Ramadan, this is a cherished tradition here at the State Department. And I would like to thank all of you for being here, including the many members of the Diplomatic Corps.
      Tonight, our gathering is more somber than any of us would like. This comes during sad and difficult days for the State Department family. We lost four Americans. They were good and brave men. They were committed to the cause of building a brighter future for the people of Libya. And we condemn the violence in the strongest terms, the violence against our posts in Benghazi, in Egypt, and now in Yemen.

The Libyan ambassador is with us tonight, and I want to take a moment to thank him for the support that his government and the Libyan people have shown to the United States in this tragedy, particularly the outpouring of feelings of grief and loss because of the killing of our ambassador.

Ambassador Aujali, would you mind saying a few words?

AMBASSADOR AUJALI: Thank you very much, Secretary Clinton. Standing beside you here in the Department of State, it shows the world how much the Americans are standing by the Libyans and the Libya revolution. You do support us during the war, but you have to support us during the peace. We are going through a very difficult time, and we need the help of friends.

It is a very sad day for me, since I learned of the death of my dear friend and colleague, Ambassador Chris Stevens. I knew Chris for the last six years. We play tennis together, we drive in one car, and we had some traditional Libyan food in my house. I must tell you, Madam Secretary, and tell the American people, that Chris is a hero. He is a real hero. He’s the man who believes in the Libyans and the Libyan ability that they will achieve democracy after 42 years of the dictatorship.

Now we are facing a serious problem, and we have to maintain and we have to – we need security and stability in our country. The government, unfortunately, faces a serious problem, personnel and equipment. And the support of you and the friends who support us during the war is very important.

I want to show you and to show the American people how much it was – we were shocked by the death of four American diplomats. It is a very sad story to tell. But I am sure that it is our responsibility, and the responsibility of the Libyan people, that we have to protect our people, we have to protect the Americans in the first place and have to protect all the diplomatic missions who are serving in our country. I am sure that without the help, we will not be able to do it.

I hope that this sad incident which happened, this terrorist attack which took place against the American consulate in Libya, it will tell us how much we have to work closely. Our religion, our culture, never tells us that this is the way to express your view. It is – in fact (inaudible) a terrorist act. This is condemned by all the world and by all the Libyans at the top level of the Libyan authority.

Please, Madam Secretary, accept our apology and accept our condolence for the loss of the four Americans, innocent people. They lost their lives in the Libyan territory. Chris, he loves Benghazi, he loves the people, he talks to them, he eats with them, and he committed — and unfortunately lost his life because of this commitment.

Madam Secretary, thank you very much indeed. (Applause.)

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you very much, Ambassador. I know that that was a very personal loss for you, as it was for me. I’m the one who sent Chris to Benghazi during the revolution to show support and be able to advise our government about what we could do to bring freedom and democracy and opportunity to the people of Libya.

Religious freedom and religious tolerance are essential to the stability of any nation, any people. Hatred and violence in the name of religion only poison the well. All people of faith and good will know that the actions of a small and savage group in Benghazi do not honor religion or God in any way. Nor do they speak for the more than one billion Muslims around the world, many of whom have shown an outpouring of support during this time.

Unfortunately, however, over the last 24 hours, we have also seen violence spread elsewhere. Some seek to justify this behavior as a response to inflammatory, despicable material posted on the internet. As I said earlier today, the United States rejects both the content and the message of that video. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. At our meeting earlier today, my colleague, the foreign minister of Morocco, said that all prophets should be respected because they are all symbols of our humanity, for all humanity.

But both of us were crystal clear in this paramount message: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind. And we look to leaders around the world to stand up and speak out against violence, and to take steps to protect diplomatic missions from attack.

Think about it. When Christians are subject to insults to their faith, and that certainly happens, we expect them not to resort to violence. When Hindus or Buddhists are subjected to insults to their faiths, and that also certainly happens, we expect them not to resort to violence. The same goes for all faiths, including Islam.

When all of us who are people of faith – and I am one – feel the pain of insults, of misunderstanding, of denigration to what we cherish, we must expect ourselves and others not to resort to violence. That is a universal standard and expectation, and it is everyone’s obligation to meet that, so that we make no differences, we expect no less of ourselves than we expect of others. You cannot respond to offensive speech with violence without begetting more violence.

And I so strongly believe that the great religions of the world are stronger than any insults. They have withstood offense for centuries. Refraining from violence, then, is not a sign of weakness in one’s faith; it is absolutely the opposite, a sign that one’s faith is unshakable.

For more: http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2012/09/197735.htm

Consulate Attack Preplanned, Libya’s President Says

8/16/12 by LEILA FADEL – npr

Libya’s president says he believes al-Qaida is behind a deadly attack in eastern Libya that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other U.S. staffers.

In an exclusive interview with NPR in Benghazi, President Mohammed el-Megarif says foreigners infiltrated Libya over the past few months, planned the attack and used Libyans to carry it out.

Wearing the traditional long white robe of men in Libya, Megarif is visibly exhausted when we speak to him at his home in Benghazi. As he describes the ambush on the U.S. consulate that killed Stevens and three other Americans, his eyes water and he drops his head.

“Our friend and friend of all Libyans and all residents of Benghazi and we feel very, very, very,” deep sadness, he says.

A steady stream of people files in and out of the soft-spoken president’s home. This eastern Libyan city was the birthplace of the revolt against late dictator Moammar Gadhafi. Now it is a neglected place, with few security forces on the street and a flood of heavy weaponry.

Megarif says that over the past few months, foreigners took advantage of the security vacuum and flowed into the country from Mali and Algeria. I ask if this attack was over an anti-Muslim film that sparked violent protests across the Muslim world. He shakes his head.

“The idea that this criminal and cowardly act was a spontaneous protest that just spun out of control is completely unfounded and preposterous,” he says. “We firmly believe that this was a precalculated, preplanned attack that was carried out specifically to attack the U.S. Consulate.”

The attackers used the protesters outside the consulate as a cover, he says.

“The intention was there from the beginning, for it to take this ugly barbaric, criminal form,” he says.

Megarif claims evidence shows that some elements of Ansar al-Sharia, an extremist group in eastern Benghazi, were used as tools by foreign citizens with ties to al-Qaida to attack the consulate and threaten Libya’s stability.

For the entire article and audio interview: http://www.npr.org/2012/09/16/161228170/consulate-attack-preplanned-libya-s-president-says

• CR says:

From Boston to Newtown to Aurora and beyond: Obama’s sad role as national grief counselor

4/18/13 By Walter Shapiro – yahoonews

Just moments after he raised his right hand to take the oath of office at a time of economic despair in 2009, Barack Obama spoke of the resilience of the American people. In that first inaugural address, Obama paraphrased the lyrics from a 1930s Fred Astaire musical as he declared, “Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.”

Thursday afternoon, at a memorial service in Boston’s Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Obama invoked the story of 78-year-old marathoner Bill Iffrig who was knocked off his feet by the bomb blast just 15 feet from the finish line. Talking of the resilience of Boston and America in the face of harrowing violence, Obama said, “We may be momentarily knocked off our feet, but we’ll pick ourselves up. We’ll keep going. We will finish the race.”

Obama was very careful with his language, describing “this heinous act” and the perpetrators as “small, stunted individuals.” The president never mentioned “terrorism” or referred to foreign threats, but he pointedly used the verb “terrorize.” The president’s words were a way of gliding over all the public uncertainty surrounding the bombings and their cause. It was probably wiser and definitely more uplifting for the president to celebrate Boston and its gritty, yet intellectual self-image than to dwell on the fear unleashed on Patriot’s Day.

This has been a harrowing week for Obama. All the emotion that flowed from his last memorial service for the victims in Newtown led to defeat and dejection with the expected—yet still brutal—Senate rejection of expanded background checks for gun buyers Wednesday afternoon. Even the memory of 20 dead small children was not enough to turn the legislative tide. As Obama put it Wednesday, not bothering to mask his anger over vote, “This was a pretty shameful day for Washington.”

Grief counseling is not mentioned in the Constitution, nor does it ever come up in presidential debates. But part of the job of any president in this already tear-stained century is to channel our collective sadness, to speak for all Americans at a time of national tragedy.

Obama was still in the first year of his presidency when he said during a memorial service at Fort Hood after the shootings there, “We pay tribute to 13 men and women who were not able to escape the horror of war, even in the comfort of home.” In 2011, at a memorial service for the victims of the shootings in a Tucson parking lot, Obama sadly admitted, “There is nothing I can say that will fill the sudden hole torn in your hearts.”

Last year, in response to the massacre in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater, Obama said, “If there’s anything to take away from this tragedy, it’s the reminder that life is very fragile. Our time here is limited and it is precious.” And at the memorial service for the victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Obama said, “Here in Newtown, I come to offer the love and the prayers of a nation. I am very mindful that mere words cannot match the depths of your sorrow, nor can they heal your wounded hearts.”

Yes, there is a sameness to much of Obama’s funereal oratory. The fault lies not with the president or the White House speechwriters, but with the limits of human speech at a time of grief. These are the same limitations that Abraham Lincoln referred to in 1863 when he dedicated a national cemetery at Gettysburg near where nearly 8,000 soldiers died: “We cannot dedicate—we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.”

The difference, of course, is that Lincoln was speaking on a military battlefield, while Obama as president has been primarily mourning those killed at home following everyday pursuits—watching a famous race, attending a leafy elementary school, going to the movies or meeting with their congresswoman in a supermarket parking lot. Each innocent setting makes the carnage crueler and more macabre.

The three deaths and the scores of maimed bodies at the finish line in Boston also speak to the profound uncertainty of our age. Was this a new front in the war that toppled the Twin Towers on Sept. 11, 2001? Or was this the latest reminder (as if we needed one after Newtown and Aurora) that Americans are a violent people—and that walking among us are individuals with crazed grievances and a warped desire to inflict pain, suffering and death.

The hair-trigger mood was symbolized Wednesday by the wildly wrong rumors about an impending arrest that were legitimized by major news organizations like the Associated Press and CNN. To be charitable, it was almost as if amid our fears, the news media abandoned traditional rules of reliable sourcing in a desperate effort to add a note of the-worst-is-over calm to our continuing anguish.

Politicians and the media often give way to an irresistible impulse to automatically brand any horrific act “terrorism.” In the immediate aftermath of Monday’s bloodbath, Dianne Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, flatly said, “My understanding is that it’s a terrorist incident.” Two Maine senators, Susan Collins and Angus King—both members of the Intelligence Committee—were even more unequivocal, saying that the bombings “bear the hallmarks of a terrorist attack.”

Using the word “terrorism” before there is any certainty that the attack had any remote connection with an organized group—let alone the remnants of al-Qaida—can only fan frightening memories of 9/11 and Oklahoma City. That is why Obama’s restraint today in Boston and in his prior remarks at the White House has been admirable. The images of dead bodies and maimed limbs on Boylston Street are wrenching enough without politicians in Washington resorting to rhetorical fear-mongering.

Obama ended his 20-minute reflections with a passionate affirmation of an open society where “we come together to celebrate life, to walk our cities and to cheer for our teams.” As the nation’s first truly urban president since John Kennedy, Obama instinctively understands the vibrancy of cities like Boston. That may be why he places such a high premium on living without fear amid the hubbub of the Hub. And in the resilience of Bostonians and all Americans.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/from-boston-to-newtown-to-aurora-and-beyond–obama’s-sad-role-as-national-grief-counselor-193800181.html

Mother Of Mass Shooting Victim Becomes Gun-Control Advocate

September 19, 2013 4:00 AM NPR

Summary: After her daughter was killed in the theater shooting in Aurora, Colo, last year, Sandy Phillips became a full-time advocate for universal background checks for gun buyers. Phillips was on her way to Washington, D.C. to lobby for gun legislation when the Navy Yard shooting happened. She tells Steve Inskeep she’s been meeting with members of Congress.

Excerpt:

INSKEEP: You mentioned that you work with family members of victims from other shootings. I’m sorry to say there’s another collection of family members now. You may well meet them.

PHILLIPS: Yes, we probably will.

INSKEEP: What advice would you have for them?

PHILLIPS: Oh, man. First of all, not to let anyone else judge the way you’re grieving. And what is right for you may be abhorrent to someone else. We had a situation within our Aurora families where one of the families who actually live in Aurora went back to the theater opening and sat in the seat that their son had been sitting in before he was killed.

And we were just – oh my god. I could never do that. I mean my husband and I, we can’t go to a movie. We’ll never go to a movie again. I can’t smell popcorn, I can’t look at popcorn without gagging. This is the last thing my daughter ate. My life and their life are very different. That was where he and his son really bonded, was at the movies. They loved going to movies together.

And he knew that the only way he was going to get that 500 pound gorilla off of his back was to face it. So first of all, don’t let anyone judge how you’re grieving. Second of all, find an outlet, whatever that outlet is. Find an outlet that you can pour yourself into to help the process.

INSKEEP: Sandy Phillips, thanks for coming by.

PHILLIPS: Thank you for having me.

For the entire audio interview: http://www.npr.org/2013/09/19/223965801/mother-of-colo-mass-shooting-victim-becomes-gun-control-advocate

3. CR says:

2012 Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting

On August 5, 2012, a mass shooting took place at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, with a lone gunman killing six people and wounding four others. The gunman, Wade Michael Page, a known white supremacist, shot nine people at the temple, then shot a responding police officer.

August 05, 2012

Statement by the President on the Shooting in Wisconsin

Michelle and I were deeply saddened to learn of the shooting that tragically took so many lives in Wisconsin. At this difficult time, the people of Oak Creek must know that the American people have them in our thoughts and prayers, and our hearts go out to the families and friends of those who were killed and wounded. My Administration will provide whatever support is necessary to the officials who are responding to this tragic shooting and moving forward with an investigation. As we mourn this loss which took place at a house of worship, we are reminded how much our country has been enriched by Sikhs, who are a part of our broader American family.

• CR says:

“I was in Aurora to meet those who lost loved ones during that terrible shooting. And I just had a chance to see some of the first responders who helped to save lives and comfort families during that terrible, terrible day. Unfortunately, since that time, we’ve had another tragedy in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, where six members of our community were killed as they entered into a house of worship.

And so I think we can all acknowledge, we’ve got to put an end to this kind of senseless violence — whether it’s in Aurora, whether it’s in Oak Creek, whether it’s in Tucson, whether it’s in cities all across America where too many lives are cut short because of senseless violence. This is going to have to stop. And as an American family — as one American family — we’re going to have to come together and look at all the approaches that we can take to try to bring an end to it.

And I want you to all know that the thoughts and prayers of the entire nation remain with those in Aurora. And even though the perpetrators of these acts have received a lot of attention, attention on them will fade and what will be replaced are the stories of heroism and hope that we’ve seen here in Colorado, and in Wisconsin, and across the nation. That’s what we’ll remember. That’s what’s going to matter. That’s what we will value — the strength and the resilience and the care and the love of the American people.”

August 08, 2012 President Obama

August 06, 2012

HONORING THE VICTIMS OF THE TRAGEDY IN OAK CREEK, WISCONSIN

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on August 5, 2012, in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, August 10, 2012. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

Two wounded in Sikh Temple attack upgraded

8/9/12 whby.com

The conditions of two of three people wounded during the Sikh Temple shooting in Oak Creek were upgraded at a Milwaukee area hospital.

Froedtert Hospital says Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy is now in satisfactory condition. A man is now in serious condition, while a woman is still in critical condition.

Governor Walker met with the families of three shooting victims this morning.

Walker spokeswoman Jocelyn Webster says the governor wanted to express his support and sympathy, and the meetings were “very emotional.”

The governor plans to attend tomorrow’s funeral services for the victims.

A book is also available on the ground floor of the Capitol, to give people a chance to offer their condolences to the families.

First Lady Michelle Obama Visits Sikh Community in Wisconsin

Updated: Joshua DuBois August 24, 2012 02:32 PM EDT

On Sunday, August 5, a gunman tore into the Sikh Gudwrara in Oak Creek, turning that temple, and the lives of community members within it, upside down. Six people were killed and others wounded, some severely. There’s no explanation for why that gunman did what he did. But what we do know is this: this horrible tragedy has revealed the courageous story of the Sikh community, and it reminds us that their story is an American story.

Yesterday, First Lady Michelle Obama visited with the Sikh American families affected by the tragedy in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. It was a time for condolences and for healing, and a day that the First Lady and the families of the victims will never forget.

As she hugged grieving husbands and wives, comforted granddaughters and grandsons, and embraced sons and daughters, the First Lady lifted up the Sikh American story yesterday. She not only expressed her condolences but also underscored how strong those who died were, and how strong the Sikh community continues to be. Since the first Sikhs arrived at Angel Island in California almost 100 years ago, they have been woven into the fabric of our country. Doctors, artists and lawyers, politicians and priests, Sikh Americans have strengthened the United States in innumerable ways. The First Lady expressed her pride in the community yesterday, and looked into the eyes of the children in the room and said that she expects them to achieve ever greater things as well.

The First Lady also greeted the family of Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy, who was shot and injured while defending the temple. So many folks thank her for visiting and commented about how much her visit meant to the community. But Mrs. Obama simply said in reply, “No – I’m the one that’s honored to be here. This means so much to me.”

August 08, 2012

Readout of the President’s Call with the Prime Minister of India

President Obama spoke with Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh this morning to express condolences for victims of the senseless attack at the gurdwara in Wisconsin, which took the lives of Indian nationals as well as Americans, and to convey the solidarity of the American people. President Obama reiterated that the Sikh community is an essential and vibrant part of the American family. The President also underscored that the incident is particularly tragic because it took place in a house of worship. Prime Minister Singh expressed his gratitude for the many messages and gestures of support from the United States, and for the prompt reaction and heroism of the local police department. The two leaders re-affirmed their nations’ commitment to the shared values of pluralism, religious freedom, and freedom of worship.

Support Wisconsin Shooting Victims
      Attend a Support Event

8/6/12 – 8/19/12 http://www.kaurista.com/events/

• CR says:

Thousands expected to honor Sikh temple victims

8/10/12 By DINESH RAMDE | Associated Press – 4 hrs ago

OAK CREEK, Wis. (AP) — Thousands of mourners are expected to pay their final respects to the half-dozen Sikh (seek) worshippers gunned down by a white supremacist at their Wisconsin temple over the weekend.

Organizers initially allocated two hours for a wake and visitation. But they added two hours to accommodate demand.

Dignitaries scheduled to attend include U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan.

The service will include prayers and hymns. Afterward mourners plan to return to the temple and begin a traditional 48-hour ceremony intended to honor the memories of the victims.

Forty-year-old Wade Michael Page opened fire Sunday at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin. He killed six and wounded three others, including a police officer. He killed himself after a second officer wounded him.

4. CR says:

Iftar dinner

8/10/12 5:26 AM EDT POLITICO44

President Obama will host an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan in the State Dining Room. From the White House: “This will be the fourth Iftar that President Obama has hosted, continuing the tradition of hosting Iftars that began annually under President Clinton and was continued by President George W. Bush. The invited guests include elected officials, religious and grassroots leaders in the Muslim American community, and leaders of diverse faiths and members of the diplomatic corps.”

————–

Expected Attendees at the White House Iftar Dinner http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/10/expected-attendees-white-house-iftar-dinner

5. CR says:

PTA Day at the White House

150 PTA leaders from 41 states, DC and US military bases overseas to the White House for a day-long briefing. Made up of millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders, the PTA promotes parent involvement in schools and works every day towards the success of every student. Local PTAs across the country are also some of the most effective advocates for making education a priority.

We’ll honor 12 PTA leaders as Champions of Change, a program created to honor ordinary Americans doing great work in their communities. The PTA Champions have collaborated with school administrators and community leaders, launched innovative advocacy campaigns, and worked tirelessly to grow their local PTA organizations to involve more parents in their children’s education. You can learn more about our PTA Champions here.

But this Friday isn’t just for PTA leaders joining us at the White House, it’s also to engage with millions of moms and dads who can’t make it to Washington. So, we’re hoping you’ll tune-in live and join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #WHPTA. Join us live at WhiteHouse.gov/Champions for PTA Day, including:

* 9:30 a.m. EDT: PTA leaders briefing with Administration officials

* 12:00 p.m. EDT: “Open for Questions” online Q&A with Director of the Domestic Policy Council Cecilia Munoz moderated by National PTA President Betsy Landers. PTA members around the country are invited to watch live and submit questions at PTA.org or on Twitter using the hashtag #WHPTA

* 2:00 p.m. EDT: “Champions of Change” event honoring 12 PTA members

The President knows how important parent involvement is to successfully educating our kids, and that is why we’re excited to welcome PTA leaders who are setting such great examples in their communities to the White House.

6. CR says:

August 09, 2012

President Obama Announces Presidential Delegation to the Republic of Ghana to Attend the State Funeral of President John Evans Atta Mills

President Barack Obama today announced the designation of a Presidential Delegation to the Republic of Ghana to attend the State Funeral of His Excellency John Evans Atta Mills, President of the Republic of Ghana.

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State, will lead the delegation on August 10, 2012.

Members of the Presidential Delegation:

The Honorable Donald Teitelbaum, United States Ambassador to the Republic of Ghana

The Honorable Johnnie Carson, Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs

General Carter F. Ham, Commander, United States Africa Command

Mr. Grant T. Harris, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for African Affairs, National Security Staff

7. CR says:

Jobless Claims Fall In Sign U.S. Job Market Mending: Economy

By Michelle Jamrisko and Alex Kowalski – Aug 9, 2012 1:53 PM PT

Fewer Americans filed applications for unemployment benefits last week, a sign the labor market may keep improving after hiring picked up in July.

Jobless claims unexpectedly dropped by 6,000 to 361,000 in the week ended Aug. 4, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington. The median forecast of 43 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News called for an increase to 370,000. Other reports showed consumer confidence dropped to a two-month low and home prices climbed by the most since 2006.

The decrease in firings indicates the job market continues to mend after payrolls rose last month by the most since February. The world’s largest economy needs bigger gains in employment to prevent the lingering European debt crisis and approaching U.S. fiscal cliff from derailing the economic expansion.

“There’s a gradual improvement on the layoffs side,” said Peter Newland, an economist in New York for Barclays Plc, who projected claims would drop to 360,000. There will be “a bit of a rebound in the second half. It’s not going to be spectacular, but it should be better than the first half.”

Most stocks rose, giving the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index its longest rally since March. The S&P 500 advanced less than 0.1 percent to 1,402.8 at the close in New York.

The economic slowdown in Europe curtailed Britain’s exports in the second quarter, producing a record trade deficit, other data today showed.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-09/jobless-claims-in-u-s-unexpectedly-fall-as-labor-market-mends.html

8. CR says:

Exclusive: Obama to include Republicans in hard-hitting convention

8/10/12 4:26 AM EDT By MIKE ALLEN – POLITICO44

Advisers to President Barack Obama are scripting a Democratic National Convention featuring several Republicans in a prime-time appeal to independents — and plan a blistering portrayal of Mitt Romney as a heartless aristocrat who “would devastate the American middle class,” Democratic sources tell POLITICO.

According to convention planning documents, the three-night convention in Charlotte, N.C., early next month will seek to “[e]xpose Mitt Romney as someone who doesn’t understand middle class challenges” while also burnishing “the President’s image as someone whose life story is about fighting for middle class Americans and those working to get into the middle class.”

Each night of the convention will include a star turn for what planners call “real people” — for instance, an auto worker whose job was saved, a student who benefited from college loans and an entrepreneur fueled by federal research-and-development funds.
    The most innovative — and harshest — element of the preliminary program is a nightly “social contrast” in which two people describe their personal experience with a hot-button issue — one person lauding the president’s actions, the other taking Romney to task. “Each paired-testimonial should have an ‘unexpected’ participant,” the documents say.

But the plans show organizers intent on steering clear of controversy as well. For the gay marriage social contrast, for instance, the documents state the participants should be “not a gay couple” — but a “parent and gay son or daughter.”

Other examples: “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell: Gay soldier and fellow (straight) soldier who served together in Iraq or Afghanistan (ideally the straight soldier was helped by the gay soldier, i.e., medic, in fire fight) … Planned Parenthood: Husband who talks about how a PAP smear saved his wife’s life and his spouse … Immigration: Two young people from the same family, one who was born here, the other a few years older who was not … Choice: A couple who has children, but wants to make their own decisions, not have the government do it for them (or who has confronted a difficult medical situation).”

The documents also give a glimpse of what parts of Obama’s record will get the most attention in the campaign, with one piece — the auto bailout — rating several mentions in the plan. “Tell the story of the President’s accomplishments — the auto rescue, manufacturing, ending the war, health care, energy — as central to his fight for the middle class and America’s long-term economic strength,” is listed as one objective of the convention.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79542.html?hp=t1

9. CR says:

West Wing Week 08/10/12 or “We Have A Moral, Sacred Duty”

Published on Aug 10, 2012 by whitehouse

Welcome to the West Wing Week, your guide to everything that’s happening at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This week, the President continued to push for middle class tax cuts, spoke with both the AAPD Summer interns with disabilities and with the White House Summer Interns of 2012, signed the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act, and convened his Rural Council to discuss ways to ease the burden of drought. That’s August 3rd to August 9th or “We Have A Moral Sacred Duty.”

10. CR says:

Good Friday morning everyone. I HOPE that you have a good day.

11. CR says:

Next Up…

9:30 AM EDT
    PTA Day at the White House: Community Leaders Briefing

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

PTA Day at the White House: Community Leaders Briefing

Published on Aug 10, 2012 by whitehouse

The White House welcomes more than 150 Parent Teacher Association (PTA) leaders from 41 states, DC, and US military bases overseas for a day-long briefing. PTA comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. August 10, 2012.

12. Good morning CR and PPO friends. HOPE you all have a great Friday.

Please join me in lighting a candle for our President, First Family and the Nation.

13. CR says:

10:00 AM ET
    Sikh temple shooting wake and memorial service
    A wake and memorial service takes place for the six victims of Sunday’s Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin. Attorney General Eric Holder will make remarks.

Attorney General Eric Holder Speaks at the Oak Creek Memorial Service

OAK CREEK, WIS. ~ Friday, August 10, 2012 justice.gov

I come to you today with a heavy heart, and with the knowledge that my words – or any words – are insufficient to convey the grief we all feel, to supply the answers we seek, or to provide the comfort for which we long. But I am here – on behalf of the President of the United States, on behalf of my colleagues at the Department of Justice, and on behalf of all the American people – to stand with you, to mourn with you, and to pray with you.

Although we have been brought together by an unspeakable, and devastating, tragedy – we are bound together by far more. We are united today – not only by a shared sense of loss, but also by a common belief in the healing power of faith, and in the universal principles that are glorified in our nation’s churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, Gurdwaras, and other houses of worship; but also by the principles of compassion, kindness, tolerance, inclusion, and love.

The ongoing American experiment was inspired by these ideals – and by the premise that people of diverse races, colors, creeds, faiths and ideologies can work together to build a society that is rooted in freedom, personal responsibility, and equality and opportunity for all. As President Obama has often said, “It is that fundamental belief that I am my brother’s keeper, [and] I am my sister’s keeper, that makes this country work.”

This is the idea that – no matter where you come from or how you worship – once you are here, you are part of the American family. And this also is the story of the Sikh community in our country – a community that has contributed in innumerable ways to the greatness of America.

For more: http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/ag/speeches/2012/ag-speech-1208101.html

——–

Attorney General Holder Speak at Sikh Memorial Service

Published on Aug 10, 2012 by PBSNewsHour

Attorney General Eric Holder spoke Friday at a memorial service held in the Oak Creek High School gymnasium in Oak Creek, Wisconsin honoring the six slain and three injured in a shooting August 5.

14. Kat 4 Obama says:

Good and HOPEful Friday, CR and all friends!

>^..^<

15. Kat 4 Obama says:

WenatcheeWorld.com:

Labor Council convention draws state’s top Democrats

By Rick Steigmeyer

Some of Washington’s top Democratic politicos were in Wenatchee Wednesday to give their primary election victory speeches while drumming up support for the general election with 430 members of the Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO….

“There are many things we’ve gotten done,” said (Senator Maria) Cantwell during her focused G15-minute speech. She cited the transportion bill now on Pres. Obama’s desk that will create many new jobs. Hanford cleanup legislation, free trade agreements with Korea that have helped Washington cherry growers, a soon-to-be passed Farm Bill and other legislation that will result in more aerospace jobs will also help the state economy.

“Still, we’re challenged by some of the hardest hit economics since the Great Depression,” she said. Paraphrasing Pres. Harry Truman, she added, “America was not built on fear, but on hard work, determination and courage.”

16. Kat 4 Obama says:

Really good thread topic, CR. You’re right, PBO has been front and center on acknowledging and respecting our country’s diversity of faith traditions.

17. CR says:

12:00 PM EDT
    “Open for Questions” with the PTA

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Open for Questions: PTA Day

Published on Aug 10, 2012 by whitehouse

Director of the Domestic Policy Council Cecilia Munoz hosts an online Q&A moderated by National PTA President Betsy Landers. Friday 10, 2012.

18. CR says:

Newark-based Envia, backed by GM, may have electric car breakthrough

8/10/2012 06:37:02 AM PDT By Tom Krisher Associated Press

DETROIT — A small battery company backed by General Motors is working on breakthrough technology that could power an electric car 100 or even 200 miles on a single charge in the next two-to-four years, GM’s CEO said Thursday.

Speaking at an employee meeting, CEO Dan Akerson said the company, Newark, Calif.-based Envia Systems, has made a huge breakthrough in the amount of energy a lithium-ion battery can hold. GM is sure that the battery will be able to take a car 100 miles within a couple of years, he said. It could be double that with some luck, he said.

“I think we’ve got better than a 50-50 chance,” Akerson said, “to develop a car that will go to 200 miles on a charge,” he said. “That would be a game changer.”

GM’s current electric car, the Chevrolet Volt, goes about 35 miles on a charge and has a small gas motor that generates power to keep the car going after that. Few competitors have electric cars with more than 100 miles of range. Palo Alto-based Tesla Motors (TSLA)’ Model S can go up to 300 miles, but it has a much larger battery and can cost more than twice as much as a Volt. Nissan’s Leaf and Ford’s Focus electric cars both claim ranges of around 100 miles, but that can vary with temperature, terrain and speed.

Envia said earlier this year that its next-generation rechargeable lithium-ion cell hit a record high for energy density. The company said the new battery could slash the price of electric vehicles by cutting the battery cost in half.

For more: http://www.mercurynews.com/cars/ci_21277154/gm-may-have-electric-car-breakthrough?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

19. CR says:

“Blatant” – Obama for America TV Ad

Uploaded by BarackObamadotcom on Aug 9, 2012

Get the facts: http://OFA.BO/gsqohF

“Seen this? Mitt Romney claiming the President would end welfare reform’s work requirements?”

“The New York Times calls it ‘blatantly false’.”

“The Washington Post says, ‘the Obama administration is not removing the bill’s work requirements at all.’”

“In fact Obama’s getting states to move 20% more people from welfare to work.”

“And President Clinton’s reaction to the Romney ad?”

“It’s just not true.”

Get the facts: http://OFA.BO/gsqohF

20. CR says:

Pickpocket for the 1%

Published on Aug 10, 2012 by karinmoveon

Mitt Romney’s creepy hand wants your $2k to pay for tax breaks for his millionaire and billionaire friends. Tell Mitt Romney: Get your hand out of my pocket!

21. Kat 4 Obama says:

90 day, 90 reasons to re-elect President Obama!

• CR says:

1. Obama is the first president in U.S. history to acknowledge the right of gay couples to marry and enjoy the full benefits of marriage in the eyes of the law.— BEN GIBBARD

2. Obama faced down the GOP and the health industry to finally reform American healthcare – ROGER EBERT

3. Obama has fully funded the Violence Against Women Act – GEORGE SAUNDERS

22. CR says:

Growing Paychecks Boost Americans’ Purchasing Power: Economy

Aug 10, 2012 7:24 AM PT By Shobhana Chandra – bloomberg

Americans’ paychecks in the first half of 2012 grew at the fastest pace in five years, pointing to an improvement in purchasing power that may help propel the economic expansion.

Wages and salaries for all employees increased at a 4.8 percent annual pace from January through June after adjusting for inflation, the most since March 2007, according to calculations by Harm Bandholz, chief economist at UniCredit Group in New York, based on data from the Commerce Department. The pickup contrasts with last week’s Labor Department report that showed the smallest gain in average hourly wages on record.

“What matters to people is the size of the paycheck,” said Stephen Stanley, chief economist at Pierpont Securities LLC in Stamford, Connecticut. “How much money you get in the bank, that’s what I care about.”

The Commerce Department figures take into account the total number of people holding jobs and the length of the workweek, which is what shows up in Americans’ paystubs. The recent gains indicate consumers have the means to boost spending and shield the U.S. from any global slowdown as Europe’s debt crisis lingers and Asia cools.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-10/growing-paychecks-boost-americans-purchasing-power-economy.html

23. CR says:

Next Up…

2:00 PM ET
    “Champions of Change” event honoring 12 PTA members

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Champions of Change: PTA Leaders

Published on Aug 10, 2012 by whitehouse

As part of PTA Day at the White House, 12 PTA leaders are honored as “Champions of Change.” These extraordinary parents have devoted their time and effort to PTA chapters across the country to improve the educational success of children and promote parent involvement in schools. August 10, 2012.

24. CR says:

August 10, 2012

Statement by the Press Secretary on Key Trade Measures in H.R. 5986

Today, the President signed into law H.R. 5986, which includes key measures to bolster domestic manufacturing and strengthen our economic ties with sub-Saharan Africa and Central America. This bill also contains provisions to renew authorities under the Burma Freedom and Democracy Act. Congress passed this legislation with overwhelming bipartisan support.

This bill addresses sub-Saharan Africa’s top trade priority with the United States by extending a key provision under the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) trade preference program until September 2015. This provision, which was set to expire in the fall, will continue to allow duty-free access to the U.S. market for certain AGOA apparel exports. AGOA continues to be critical to expanding and diversifying our trade and investment relationship with Africa.

This legislation also includes technical amendments to textile and apparel provisions under the Central America – Dominican Republic – United States Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR). These technical changes will have real job-supporting economic benefits for thousands of American workers in our textile and apparel industry, and will help boost economic growth in these developing regions.

25. CR says:

August 10, 2012

Executive Order — Preventing and Responding to Violence Against Women and Girls Globally

EXECUTIVE ORDER
    - – - – - – -
    PREVENTING AND RESPONDING TO VIOLENCE
    AGAINST WOMEN AND GIRLS GLOBALLY

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

* Section 1. Policy. (a) Recognizing that gender-based violence undermines not only the safety, dignity, and human rights of the millions of individuals who experience it, but also the public health, economic stability, and security of nations, it is the policy and practice of the executive branch of the United States Government to have a multi-year strategy that will more effectively prevent and respond to gender-based violence globally.

* Sec. 2. Creating an Interagency Working Group.

* Sec. 3. Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gender-based Violence Globally.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/10/executive-order-preventing-and-responding-violence-against-women-and-gir

• CR says:

Fact Sheet: Preventing and Responding to Violence Against Women and Girls Globally

Progress Toward a World without Violence Against Women and Girls

Today, President Obama issued an Executive Order on Preventing and Responding to Violence Against Women and Girls Globally to further enhance the Administration’s efforts to advance the rights and status of women and girls, to promote gender equality in U.S. foreign policy, and to bring about a world in which all individuals can pursue their aspirations without the threat of violence.

Violence against women and girls cuts across ethnicity, race, class, religion, education level, and international borders. Although statistics on the prevalence of violence vary, the scale is tremendous, the scope is vast, and the consequences for individuals, families, communities, and countries are devastating.

An estimated one in three women worldwide has been beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in her lifetime. Intimate partner violence is the most common form of violence experienced by women globally. Other forms of violence include human trafficking, sexual violence, including when used as a tactic of war, and harmful traditional practices, such as early and forced marriage, female genital mutilation/cutting, and “honor” killings.

Today’s Executive Order, which creates an interagency working group co-chaired by the Secretary of State and the Administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), directs departments and agencies to implement the new United States Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gender-based Violence Globally. This Strategy was developed by the Department of State and USAID in coordination with other relevant U.S. Government departments and agencies. The Executive Order will ensure that agencies prioritize this issue in their implementation of U.S. foreign policy, and that work in this area is evaluated. Recognizing that this is a long-term commitment, the Order directs the interagency working group to update or revise the Strategy after three years.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/10/fact-sheet-preventing-and-responding-violence-against-women-and-girls-gl

26. CR says:

8:35 PM ET
    President Obama hosts an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan.

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

CNN http://live.cnn.com

August 10, 2012
      Remarks by the President at Iftar Dinner

East Room

8:40 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, everybody. (Applause.) Please, please have a seat. Good evening, everyone. And welcome to the White House.

Of all the freedoms we cherish as Americans, of all the rights that we hold sacred, foremost among them is freedom of religion, the right to worship as we choose. It’s enshrined in the First Amendment of our Constitution — the law of the land, always and forever. It beats in our heart — in the soul of the people who know that our liberty and our equality is endowed by our Creator. And it runs through the history of this house, a place where Americans of many faiths can come together and celebrate their holiest of days — and that includes Ramadan.

As I’ve noted before, Thomas Jefferson once held a sunset dinner here with an envoy from Tunisia — perhaps the first Iftar at the White House, more than 200 years ago. And some of you, as you arrived tonight, may have seen our special display, courtesy of our friends at the Library of Congress — the Koran that belonged to Thomas Jefferson. And that’s a reminder, along with the generations of patriotic Muslims in America, that Islam — like so many faiths — is part of our national story.

This evening, we’re honored to be joined by members of our diplomatic corps, members of Congress — including Muslim American members of Congress, Keith Ellison and Andre Carson — as well as leaders from across my administration. And to you, the millions of Muslim Americans across our country, and to the more than one billion Muslims around the world — Ramadan Kareem.

Now, every faith is unique. And yet, during Ramadan, we see the traditions that are shared by many faiths: Believers engaged in prayer and fasting, in humble devotion to God. Families gathering together with love for each other. Neighbors reaching out in compassion and charity, to serve the less fortunate. People of different faiths coming together, mindful of our obligations to one another — to peace, justice and dignity for all people — men and women. Indeed, you know that the Koran teaches, “Be it man or woman, each of you is equal to the other.”

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/10/remarks-president-iftar-dinner

27. CR says:

Mormons for Obama: Why we love Obamacare

Published on Jul 27, 2012 by MormonsforObama

Some Mormons talking about why we love Obamacare!

I’m a BYU student and I’m voting for Obama

Published on Aug 12, 2012 by MormonsforObama
      Hannah, a Mormon and a BYU student, shares why she’s voting for President Obama

Mormons For Obama: Nick Miller

Published on Aug 13, 2012 by julsenor

28. CR says:

New York Sikhs Organize Help for Sandy Victims

NOVEMBER 14, 2012 BY RAMAA REDDY RAGAVAN ⋅ theworld.org

Summary: Members of Indian Sikh communities from around New York have organized to help those hardest-hit by Hurricane Sandy.

Sikh volunteers are in Queens, providing hot food for displaced people in need of a meal.

Ramaa Reddy Raghavan of “Feet In Two Worlds” reports from Queens.

For the audio interview: http://www.theworld.org/2012/11/new-york-sikhs-sandy/

————–

MyRM interviews Jitunda Singh from United Sikhs at Sandy Relief Center in The Rockaways Nov 3

Published on Nov 3, 2012 by MyRockawaysMedia

My Rockaways Media “MyRM” reporter Mr. Brett A. Scudder interviews Mr. Singh from United Sikhs as he continues coverage of the aftermath of tropical storm Sandy and its impacts on The Rockaways. Mr. Singh and his volunteers came out to support the people of The Rockaways by giving out hot food and refreshments. You can find out more about them at http://www.unitedsikhs.org and please support their efforts. We say a very special Thank You to every org that has come out to support the community. God bless.

New York Sikhs Organize Help for Sandy Victims

NOVEMBER 14, 2012 BY RAMAA REDDY RAGAVAN ⋅ theworld.org

Ramaa Reddy Raghavan of “Feet In Two Worlds” reports from Queens.

For the audio interview: http://www.theworld.org/2012/11/new-york-sikhs-sandy/

————–

Published on Nov 3, 2012 by MyRockawaysMedia

29. CR says:

*********************
    THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED

NBLB Come on over to my newest post

titled: “ Overseas Sellout / Uncaring Catholic Ticket”
    **********************

To get to newest post click on “HOME” at the top of the page and click on the title of the newest post

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 220 other followers