Gun Control March In DC

March on Washington for Gun Control 1/26/13  (Photo: AP Photo)

March on Washington for Gun Control
1/26/13 (Photo: AP Photo)

Recent US Mass Shootings2012 Aurora shootingColumbine High School massacreFort Hood shootingOikos University shootingSandy Hook Elementary School shooting2011 Seal Beach shooting,  2011 Tucson shootingVirginia Tech massacreWisconsin Sikh temple shooting

List of US School Shootings

Newtown residents to join gun control march in DC

SATURDAY, JANUARY 26, 2013 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS – BRETT ZONGKER

Residents from Newtown, Conn., are joining a march on Washington for gun control on Saturday with parents, pastors, survivors of gun violence and Education Secretary Arne Duncan.

Organizers said they are expecting thousands of participants for the rally on the National Mall, including about 100 from Newtown and buses from New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. Others are flying in from Seattle, San Francisco and even Alaska. They will gather Saturday at the Capitol Reflecting Pool at 10 a.m. and will begin marching down Constitution Avenue toward the Washington Monument at 11 a.m. A rally is planned on the monument grounds at noon.

Molly Smith, the artistic director of Washington’s Arena Stage, and her partner organized the march, inspired by the December massacre that killed 20 first graders and six teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, she said. The gunman also fatally shot his mother and committed suicide.

“With the drum roll, the consistency of the mass murders and the shock of it, it is always something that is moving and devastating to me. And then, it’s as if I move on,” Smith said. “And In this moment, I can’t move on. I can’t move on.

“I think it’s because it was children, babies,” she said. “I was horrified by it.”

While she’s never organized a political march before, Smith said she was compelled to press for a change in the law. The march organizers support President Barack Obama’s call for a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines as well as for universal background checks for gun sales. They also want lawmakers to require gun safety training for all buyers of firearms.

For more: http://www.laramieboomerang.com/articles/2013/01/26/ap/us/us_gun_control_march.txt

10:00 AM ET Saturday, January 26, Education Secretary Arne Duncan  joins residents from Newtown, Conn. to march on Washington for gun control
Capitol Reflecting Pool, Washington DC

March on Washington for Gun Control: http://www.guncontrolmarch.com/

.MomsDemandAction

January 16, 2013

Remarks by the President and the Vice President on Gun Violence

South Court Auditorium

11:52 A.M. EST

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Before I begin today, let me say to the families of the innocents who were murdered 33 days ago, our heart goes out to you. And you show incredible courage — incredible courage — being here. And the President and I are going to do everything in our power to honor the memory of your children and your wives with the work we take up here today.

It’s been 33 days since the nation’s heart was broken by the horrific, senseless violence that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School — 20 — 20 beautiful first-graders gunned down in a place that’s supposed to be their second sanctuary. Six members of the staff killed trying to save those children. It’s literally been hard for the nation to comprehend, hard for the nation to fathom.

And I know for the families who are here that time is not measured in days, but it’s measured in minutes, in seconds, since you received that news. Another minute without your daughter. Another minute without your son. Another minute without your wife. Another minute without your mom.

I want to personally thank Chris and Lynn McDonald, who lost their beautiful daughter, Grace, and the other parents who I had a chance to speak to, for their suggestions and for — again, just for the courage of all of you to be here today. I admire the grace and the resolve that you all are showing. And I must say I’ve been deeply affected by your faith, as well. And the President and I are going to do everything to try to match the resolve you’ve demonstrated.

No one can know for certain if this senseless act could have been prevented, but we all know we have a moral obligation — a moral obligation — to do everything in our power to diminish the prospect that something like this could happen again.

As the President knows, I’ve worked in this field a long time — in the United States Senate, having chaired a committee that had jurisdiction over these issues of guns and crime, and having drafted the first gun violence legislation — the last gun violence legislation, I should say. And I have no illusions about what we’re up against or how hard the task is in front of us. But I also have never seen the nation’s conscience so shaken by what happened at Sandy Hook. The world has changed, and it’s demanding action.

It’s in this context that the President asked me to put together, along with Cabinet members, a set of recommendations about how we should proceed to meet that moral obligation we have. And toward that end, the Cabinet members and I sat down with 229 groups — not just individuals, representing groups — 229 groups from law enforcement agencies to public health officials, to gun officials, to gun advocacy groups, to sportsmen and hunters and religious leaders. And I’ve spoken with members of Congress on both sides of the aisle, had extensive conversations with mayors and governors and county officials.

And the recommendations we provided to the President on Monday call for executive actions he could sign, legislation he could call for, and long-term research that should be undertaken. They’re based on the emerging consensus we heard from all the groups with whom we spoke, including some of you who are victims of this god-awful occurrence — ways to keep guns out of the wrong hands, as well as ways to take comprehensive action to prevent violence in the first place.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/01/16/remarks-president-and-vice-president-gun-violence

4/9 – Gun vote set for Thursday as Democrats beat back GOP-led filibuster

4/11 – Senate votes 68-31 to move forward with gun control measure

4/17 – More Senators Vote To Loosen Gun Laws Than Tighten Them

Contact your legislator Call your US Congressional Representative  and tell them to vote YES on sensible gun reforms.

U.S. Senators
U.S. Representatives
Tweet a Message to Your Representatives

Gun-Free Establishment

Companies with a gun-free policy:

Obama_Biden_thumbnail

About these ads

30 Responses to Gun Control March In DC

1. CR says:

WH

Saturday, January 26, 2013

All Times Eastern

President Obama receives the presidential daily briefing

Vice President Biden attends a fundraiser for Sen. Mary Landrieu
    New Orleans, LA

7:00 AM
    8:00 AM
    9:00 AM
    10:00 AM
    Education Secretary Arne Duncan joins residents from Newtown, Conn. to march on Washington for gun control
    Capitol Reflecting Pool, Washington DC

South Court Auditorium

11:52 A.M. EST

January 16, 2013

Remarks by the President and the Vice President on Gun Violence

South Court Auditorium

11:52 A.M. EST

We should do as much as we can, as quickly as we can. And we cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good. So some of what you will hear from the President will happen immediately; some will take some time. But we have begun. And we are starting here today and we’re going to resolve to continue this fight.

—————

“We Can No Longer Continue To Define Deviancy Down! We Can’t Wait Any Longer To Take Action”

Published on Jan 18, 2013 MOXNews.com
      C-SPAN

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan on Newtown, Gun Violence

Published on Dec 21, 2012

Earlier this week, correspondent Gwen Ifill sat down with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan for the PBS special report “After Newtown,” which airs 8 p.m. ET Friday, one week after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The PBS special will be streamed to national audiences at PBS.org/afternewtown

April 13, 2013

Weekly Address: Sandy Hook Victim’s Mother Calls for Commonsense Gun Responsibility Reforms

The White House

Remarks of Francine Wheeler
      The President’s Weekly Address

Hi. As you’ve probably noticed, I’m not the President. I’m just a citizen. And as a citizen, I’m here at the White House today because I want to make a difference and I hope you will join me.

My name is Francine Wheeler. My husband David is with me. We live in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.

David and I have two sons. Our older son Nate, soon to be 10 years old, is a fourth grader at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Our younger son, Ben, age six, was murdered in his first-grade classroom on December 14th, exactly 4 months ago this weekend.

David and I lost our beloved son, but Nate lost his best friend. On what turned out to be the last morning of his life, Ben told me, quite out of the blue, “ I still want to be an architect, Mama, but I also want to be a paleontologist, because that’s what Nate is going to be and I want to do everything Nate does.”

Ben’s love of fun and his excitement at the wonders of life were unmatched His boundless energy kept him running across the soccer field long after the game was over. He couldn’t wait to get to school every morning. He sang with perfect pitch and had just played at his third piano recital. Irrepressibly bright and spirited, Ben experienced life at full tilt.

Until that morning. 20 of our children, and 6 of our educators – gone. Out of the blue.

I’ve heard people say that the tidal wave of anguish our country felt on 12/14 has receded. But not for us. To us, it feels as if it happened just yesterday. And in the four months since we lost our loved ones, thousands of other Americans have died at the end of a gun. Thousands of other families across the United States are also drowning in our grief.

Please help us do something before our tragedy becomes your tragedy.

Sometimes, I close my eyes and all I can remember is that awful day waiting at the Sandy Hook Volunteer Firehouse for the boy who would never come home – the same firehouse that was home to Ben’s Tiger Scout Den 6. But other times, I feel Ben’s presence filling me with courage for what I have to do – for him and all the others taken from us so violently and too soon.

We have to convince the Senate to come together and pass commonsense gun responsibility reforms that will make our communities safer and prevent more tragedies like the one we never thought would happen to us.

When I packed for Washington on Monday, it looked like the Senate might not act at all. Then, after the President spoke in Hartford, and a dozen of us met with Senators to share our stories, more than two-thirds of the Senate voted to move forward.

But that’s only the start. They haven’t yet passed any bills that will help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people. And a lot of people are fighting to make sure they never do.

Now is the time to act. Please join us. You can talk to your Senator, too. Or visit WhiteHouse.gov to find out how you can join the President and get involved.

Help this be the moment when real change begins. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

August 29, 2013

FACT SHEET: New Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence

Today, the Obama administration announced two new common-sense executive actions to keep the most dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands and ban almost all re-imports of military surplus firearms to private entities. These executive actions build on the 23 executive actions that the Vice President recommended as part of the comprehensive gun violence reduction plan and the President unveiled on January 16, 2013.

Even as Congress fails to act on common-sense proposals, like expanding criminal background checks and making gun trafficking a federal crime, the President and Vice President remain committed to using all the tools in their power to make progress toward reducing gun violence.

Building on the 23 Executive Actions the President and Vice President Unveiled Last January

* Last December, the President asked the Vice President to develop a series of recommendations to reduce gun violence. On January 16, 2013, they released these proposals, including 23 executive actions. With the first Senate confirmation of an ATF Director on July 31, 2013, the Administration has completed or made significant progress on 22 of the 23 executive actions. The new executive actions unveiled today build on this successful effort.

Closing a Loophole to Keep Some of the Most Dangerous Guns Out of the Wrong Hands

* Current law places special restrictions on many of the most dangerous weapons, such as machine guns and short-barreled shotguns. These weapons must be registered, and in order to lawfully possess them, a prospective buyer must undergo a fingerprint-based background check.

* However, felons, domestic abusers, and others prohibited from having guns can easily evade the required background check and gain access to machine guns or other particularly dangerous weapons by registering the weapon to a trust or corporation. At present, when the weapon is registered to a trust or corporation, no background check is run. ATF reports that last year alone, it received more than 39,000 requests for transfers of these restricted firearms to trusts or corporations.

* Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole. The proposed rule requires individuals associated with trusts or corporations that acquire these types of weapons to undergo background checks, just as these individuals would if the weapons were registered to them individually. By closing this loophole, the regulation will ensure that machine guns and other particularly dangerous weapons do not end up in the wrong hands.

Keeping Surplus Military Weapons Off Our Streets

* When the United States provides military firearms to its allies, either as direct commercial sales or through the foreign military sales or military assistance programs, those firearms may not be imported back into the United States without U.S. government approval. Since 2005, the U.S. Government has authorized requests to reimport more than 250,000 of these firearms.

* Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums. This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets.

Mother Of Mass Shooting Victim Becomes Gun-Control Advocate

September 19, 2013 4:00 AM NPR

Summary: After her daughter was killed in the theater shooting in Aurora, Colo, last year, Sandy Phillips became a full-time advocate for universal background checks for gun buyers. Phillips was on her way to Washington, D.C. to lobby for gun legislation when the Navy Yard shooting happened. She tells Steve Inskeep she’s been meeting with members of Congress.

For the entire audio interview: http://www.npr.org/2013/09/19/223965801/mother-of-colo-mass-shooting-victim-becomes-gun-control-advocate

3. CR says:

At The Inauguration, A Time For Civil Rights Reflection

January 26, 2013 8:00 AM NPR

Summary: Joseph McCoggle grew up in Atlanta under segregation. He’s 66 years old, African-American, and now retired from the U.S. Postal Service. Earlier this week, he came to President Obama’s second inauguration, to mark the moment in civil rights history.

For the entire article and audio interview: http://www.npr.org/2013/01/26/170336333/at-the-inauguration-a-time-for-civil-rights-reflection

4. CR says:

January 26, 2013

WEEKLY ADDRESS: Two Nominees Who Will Fight for the American People

Remarks of President Barack Obama
    Weekly Address
    The White House
    January 26, 2013

Hi, everybody. Here in America, we know the free market is the greatest force for economic progress the world has ever known. But we also know the free market works best for everyone when we have smart, commonsense rules in place to prevent irresponsible behavior.

That’s why we passed tough reforms to protect consumers and our financial system from the kind of abuse that nearly brought our economy to its knees. And that’s why we’ve taken steps to end taxpayer-funded bailouts, and make sure businesses and individuals who do the right thing aren’t undermined by those who don’t.

But it’s not enough to change the law – we also need cops on the beat to enforce the law. And that’s why, on Thursday, I nominated Mary Jo White to lead the Securities and Exchange Commission, and Richard Cordray to continue leading the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Mary Jo White has decades of experience cracking down on white-collar criminals and bringing mobsters and terrorists to justice. At the SEC, she will help complete the task of reforming Wall Street and keep going after irresponsible behavior in the financial industry so that taxpayers don’t pay the price.

Richard Cordray is a champion for American consumers. After the Senate refused to allow Richard an up-or-down vote when I nominated him in 2011, I took action to appoint him on my own. And since then, he’s helped protect Americans from predatory lenders, launched a “Know Before You Owe” campaign to help families make smart decisions about paying for college, and cracked down on credit card companies that charge hidden fees. But Richard’s appointment runs out at the end of the year, and in order for him to stay on the job, the Senate needs to finally give him the vote he deserves.

As President, my top priority is simple: to do everything in my power to fight for middle-class families and give every American the tools they need to reach the middle class.

That means bringing in people like Mary Jo and Richard whose job it is to stand up for you. It means encouraging businesses to create more jobs and pay higher wages, and improving education and job training so that more people can get the skills that businesses are looking for. It means reforming our immigration system and keeping our children safe from the menace of gun violence. And it means bringing down our deficit in a balanced way by making necessary reforms and asking every American to pay their fair share.

I am honored and humbled to continue to serve as your President. And I am more hopeful than ever that four years from now – with your help – this country will be more prosperous, more open, and more committed to the principles on which we were founded.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

GOP WRONG WAY

‘We were wrong’

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:35 PM EDT By Steve Benen – maddowblog

It took over 700 days, a recess appointment, and a nuclear-option showdown, but a prominent Republican senator yesterday took stock of his party’s efforts to reject Richard Cordray and nullify the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. He reached an interesting conclusion.

“Cordray was being filibustered because we don’t like the law” that created the consumer agency, said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina. “That’s not a reason to deny someone their appointment. We were wrong.”

That’s not a phrase we often hear from politicians, especially congressional Republicans, and it’s a welcome concession. Indeed, since I made the same argument on Monday, I’m delighted by Graham’s candor.

Perhaps, if Senate Republicans had come to this realization just a little sooner, Elizabeth Warren would be at the CFPB right now and Scott Brown would still be making Wall Street happy as a senator.

Regardless, the question many Senate Democrats are asking right now is whether yesterday’s breakthrough — which overwhelmingly tilted in their favor — can help lay the foundation for broader progress, at least in the upper chamber. Greg Sargent reported this morning:

Democrats plan to seize on yesterday’s events to exacerbate what they hope is a developing schism between the GOP leadership/hard right alliance and a bloc of GOP Senators who (Dems are betting) are genuinely fed up with that alliance’s continued flouting of basic governing norms. They hope to renew the push for a return to budget negotiations, with an eye towards replacing the sequester.”

For more: http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/07/17/19523971-we-were-wrong?lite

5. Kat 4 Obama says:

Happy and HOPEful Saturday, CR and all friends!

>^..^<

Great post, CR. HOPEfully we can take back the House and hold the Senate in 2014 so sane gun safety laws will be more likely!

6. CR says:

Please join me in lighting a candle for the President, First Family and our Nation.

7. CR says:

10:00 AM ET
    Capitol Reflecting Pool, Washington DC

• CR says:

Thousands march for gun control in Washington

1/26/13 By BRETT ZONGKER | Associated Press – 5 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Thousands of people, many holding signs with names of gun violence victims and messages such as “Ban Assault Weapons Now,” joined a rally for gun control on Saturday, marching from the Capitol to the Washington Monument.

Leading the crowd were marchers with “We Are Sandy Hook” signs, paying tribute to victims of the December school shooting in Newtown, Conn. Washington Mayor Vincent Gray and other city officials marched alongside them. The crowd stretched for at least two blocks along Constitution Avenue.

Participants held signs reading “Gun Control Now,” ”Stop NRA” and “What Would Jesus Pack?” among other messages. Other signs were simple and white, with the names of victims of gun violence.

About 100 residents from Newtown, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six teachers, traveled to Washington together, organizers said.

Participant Kara Baekey from nearby Norwalk, Conn., said that when she heard about the Newtown shooting, she immediately thought of her two young children. She said she decided she must take action, and that’s why she traveled to Washington for the march.

“I wanted to make sure this never happens at my kids’ school or any other school,” Baekey said. “It just can’t happen again.”

Once the crowd arrived at the monument, speakers called for a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition and for universal background checks on gun sales.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan told the crowd it’s not about taking away Second Amendment gun rights, but about gun safety and saving lives. He said he and President Barack Obama would do everything they could to enact gun control policies.

“This is about trying to create a climate in which our children can grow up free of fear,” Duncan said. “This march is a starting point; it is not an ending point … We must act, we must act, we must act.”

For more: http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-march-gun-control-washington-164306917.html

————-

Thousands march on Washington for gun control

Published on Jan 26, 2013

Thousands of protesters marched in Washington on Saturday calling for for stricter gun control laws following the Sandy Hook school massacre.

More Senators Vote To Loosen Gun Laws Than Tighten Them

APRIL 18, 2013, 11:10 AM 4654  SAHIL KAPUR – tpmFifty-seven senators voted Wednesday to dramatically expand gun rights after the background check legislation was scuttled, a sign that even amid the most concerted gun control push in two decades, there remains more Senate support for loosening gun laws than tightening them.

The National Rifle Association-backed measure, brought by Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn (R-TX) as an amendment to gun legislation, would have made a concealed carry permit in one state valid in other states. In other words, if it passed, California would be forced to let someone carry a concealed weapon in public if they were permitted to do so, say, by the state of Kansas.

The bill failed as it was subject to a filibuster-proof 60 vote threshold, like all amendments. But thirteen Democrats joined all but one Republican (Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk) in voting for it. It received more votes than background check legislation, which would have modestly tightened the nation’s gun laws and managed to find 55 supporters.

“This amendment would wreak havoc in large portions of America — suburban and urban areas,” Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said just before the vote on Cornyn’s amendment. “Because there are no residency requirements, criminals from all states could go to states, Florida is one, get a concealed carry permit and legally — criminals, felons — concealed carry in other states.”

“Let Wyoming do what they want to do on concealed carry, but don’t impose that on New York, and vice versa,” he said.

Cornyn said his legislation was “designed to protect the fundamental Second Amendment rights of American citizens who are traveling or temporarily away from home while they hold a concealed handgun license.” He called it “background checks on steroids.”

Pro-gun proponents love the measure. Similar legislation was brought in 2009 by Sen. John Thune (R-SD) and received 58 votes. Democratic leaders worked hard to ensure its defeat this time around, worrying that its inclusion could poison and likely scuttle the final legislation.

Along with the Cornyn measure Wednesday, well over a majority of senators also voted for amendments offered by Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Richard Burr (R-NC) that contained provisions gun control advocates feared would weaken gun safety laws. By contrast, fewer than a majority of senators to ban assault weapons or restrict high-capacity ammunition clips.

The votes reveal that the filibuster, shortly after killing expanded background checks supported by 90 percent of the public, worked to protect a priority of the gun control side.

Fifty-five senators supported the background check bill. The final tally was 54-46 because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), switched his vote to no in the last minute to reserve the right to bring up the bill again, which he later pledged to keep fighting for.

April 17, 2013

Statement by the President

Rose Garden

5:35 P.M. EDT

MR. BARDEN: Hello. My name is Mark Barden. Just four months ago, my wife Jackie and I lost our son, and our children, James and Natalie, they lost their little brother Daniel. Daniel was a first-grader at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Our sweet, 7-year-old Daniel was one of 20 children, six adults lost on December 14th. I have to say it feels like it was just yesterday.

In our deepest grief, we were supported by the love of our families and comforted by the love and prayers we received from millions of America, from every corner of the country.

What happened in Newtown can happen anywhere. In any instant, any dad in America could be in my shoes. No one should feel the pain. No one should feel our pain or the pain felt by the tens of thousands of people who’ve lost loved ones to senseless gun violence.

And that’s why we’re here. Two weeks ago, 12 of us from Newtown came to meet with U.S. senators and have a conversation about how to bring common-sense solutions to the issues of gun violence. We came with a sense of hope, optimistic that real conversation could begin that would ultimately save the lives of so many Americans. We met with dozens of Democrats and Republicans and shared with them pictures of our children, our spouses, our parents who lost their lives on December 14th.

Expanded background checks wouldn’t have saved our loved ones, but still we came to support the bipartisan proposal from two senators, both with “A” ratings from the NRA — a common-sense proposal supported by 90 percent of Americans. It‘s a proposal that will save lives without interfering with the rights of responsible, law-abiding gun owners.

We’ll return home now, disappointed but not defeated. We return home with the determination that change will happen — maybe not today, but it will happen. It will happen soon. We’ve always known this would be a long road, and we don’t have the luxury of turning back. We will keep moving forward and build public support for common-sense solutions in the areas of mental health, school safety, and gun safety.

We take strength from the children and loved ones that we lost, and we carry a great faith in the American people.

On behalf of the Sandy Hook Promise, I would like to thank President Obama, Vice President Biden for their leadership and for standing strong and continuing to fight for a safer America. I would like to thank Senators Toomey, Manchin, Schumer and Kirk on coming together to seek common ground on legislation that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and save lives.

And I would like to thank Connecticut’s Senators Blumenthal and Murphy. They’ve been right with us. They stood by us right from the very beginning. From the first few hours after this tragedy they were with us.

We will not be defeated. We are not defeated, and we will not be defeated. We are here now; we will always be here because we have no other choice. We are not going away. And every day, as more people are killed in this country because of gun violence, our determination grows stronger.

We leave Washington hoping that others, both here and across the country, will join us in making the Sandy Hook Promise, a pledge that we’d had great hope that more U.S. senators would take literally. I’d like to end by repeating the words with which the Sandy Hook Promise begins: Our hearts are broken. Our spirit is not.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/04/17/statement-president

• CR says:

Obama taking action on gun background check system

4/19/13 By NEDRA PICKLER | Associated Press – 5 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Blocked by Congress from expanding gun sale background checks, President Barack Obama is turning to actions within his own power to keep people from buying a gun who are prohibited for mental health reasons.

Federal law bans certain mentally ill people from purchasing firearms, but not all states are providing data to stop the prohibited sales to the FBI’s background check system. A federal review last year found 17 states contributed fewer than 10 mental health records to the database, meaning many deemed by a judge to be a danger still could have access to guns.

The Obama administration was starting a process Friday aimed at removing barriers in health privacy laws that prevent some states from reporting information to the background check system. The action comes two days after the Senate rejected a measure that would have required buyers of firearms online and at gun shows to pass a background check. That’s already required for shoppers at licensed gun dealers.

For more: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-taking-action-gun-background-check-system-100127550–politics.html

8. CR says:

6:00 PM
    7:00 PM
    8:00 PM
    9:00 PM
    10:00 PM

9. CR says:

Sunday talk show tip sheet

1/25/13 4:52 PM EST By KATIE GLUECK – POLITICO44

“Meet the Press” on NBC
    • Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), chairman, House Budget Committee; 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee
    • Former Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), incoming president, Heritage Foundation
    • Ben Jealous, president and CEO, NAACP

“This Week” on ABC
    • Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)
    • Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.)
    • Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.)
    • Mark Boal, screenwriter and producer of “Zero Dark Thirty”
    • Donna Brazile, Democratic strategist

“Face the Nation” on CBS
    • Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairwoman, Senate Intelligence Committee
    • Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.)
    • Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, 2012 GOP presidential candidate
    • Kevin Madden, senior adviser to the Romney campaign
    • Stephanie Cutter, deputy campaign manager of the Obama campaign

“State of the Union” on CNN
    • Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairwoman, Senate Intelligence Committee
    • Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal, former U.S. commander in Afghanistan
    • Former CIA Director Michael Hayden
    • Saratoga Springs, Utah, Mayor Mia Love (R); 2012 candidate for Congress
    • Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R)
    • Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R)
    • Former Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez (R)

“Fox News Sunday” on Fox
    • Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), ranking member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
    • Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.)

“Newsmakers” on C-SPAN
    • Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), ranking member, Senate Armed Services Committee

“Political Capital” on Bloomberg TV
    • Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R)

“Al Punto” on Univision
    • Rep. Juan Vargas (D-Calif.)
    • Rep. Joe Garcia (D-Fla.)
    • Larry Pratt, executive director, Gun Owners of America

“Washington Watch” on TV One
    • Former Labor Secretary Hilda Solis

10. CR says:

Clinton, Obama to give joint interview

1/25/13 7:47 AM EST POLITICO44

President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will give a joint interview at the White House on Friday afternoon to CBS News’ Steve Kroft, for broadcast Sunday on “60 Minutes.” Officials say it is the first joint interview for Obama and Clinton, and the president’s first sit-down television interview with anyone other than First Lady Michelle Obama.

CBS’ 60 Minutes 7 p.m. ET

Obama and Clinton: The 60 Minutes interview

January 27, 2013 7:00 PM cbs

The following script is from “The President and the Secretary of State” which aired on Jan. 27, 2013. Steve Kroft is the correspondent. Michael Radutzky, Maria Gavrilovic and L. Franklin Devine, producers.

There are few people we think we know more about than President Barack Obama and outgoing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and everyone has an opinion about their politics, their marriages and a rivalry that is one of the richest in American history.

On Friday, we had the opportunity to sit down with the two of them side by side. The White House offered us 30 minutes, barely enough time to scratch the surface of their complicated personal and professional relationship, let alone discuss their policies on Iran and Israel, Russia and China, Egypt and Libya. There has been much speculation about their evolution from bitter opponents to partners in the corridors of power and the motivation for doing this interview. Now, you can be the judge.

Steve Kroft: This is very improbable. This is not an interview I ever expected to be doing. But I understand, Mr. President, this was your idea. Why did you want to do this together, a joint interview?

President Obama: Well, the main thing is I just wanted to have a chance to publicly say thank you, because I think Hillary will go down as one of the finest secretary of states we’ve had. It has been a great collaboration over the last four years. I’m going to miss her. Wish she was sticking around. But she has logged in so many miles, I can’t begrudge her wanting to take it easy for a little bit. But I want the country to appreciate just what an extraordinary role she’s played during the course of my administration and a lot of the successes we’ve had internationally have been because of her hard work.

Steve Kroft: There’s no political tea leaves to be read here?

Secretary Clinton: We don’t have any tea. We’ve got some water here is the best I can tell. But you know, this has been just the most extraordinary honor. And, yes, I mean, a few years ago it would have been seen as improbable because we had that very long, hard primary campaign. But, you know, I’ve gone around the world on behalf of the president and our country. And one of the things that I say to people, because I think it helps them understand, I say, “Look, in politics and in democracy, sometimes you win elections, sometimes you lose elections. And I worked very hard, but I lost. And then President Obama asked me to be secretary of state and I said yes.” And so this has been just an extraordinary opportunity to work with him as a partner and friend, to do our very best on behalf of this country we both love. And it’s something I’m going to miss a great deal.

For more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57565734/obama-and-clinton-the-60-minutes-interview/

Watch the video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50139839n

The friendship of Barack and Hillary

1/26/13 Chris Cillizza – washingtonpost

President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton are sitting for a rare joint interview set to run Sunday on CBS’ “60 Minutes”, the latest sign that the once-hostile relationship between the two has thawed considerably over the past four years.

“I think there was a reason that the 2008 fight for the Democratic nomination was as long and intense as it was,” said Patti Solis Doyle, who managed Clinton’s campaign. “These are two brilliant, formidable people who have, after working on the same team, developed a clear mutual respect and admiration.”

Another source familiar the relationship between the two put it this way: ”As amazing as it seems, Obama came to see Clinton as like himself — a no drama adult in a city he thinks is full of posturing phonies. Who woulda thunk it?”

It’s not clear whether the relationship between Obama and Clinton is one borne — and built — on admiration and commitment to common causes or a true and genuine friendship (we would lean toward the former) but it’s beyond debate that the two have moved well beyond the divisiveness of the 2008 campaign.

“Secretary Clinton has been first among equals as part of the President’s team, which is a long way from being first among equals on the presidential campaign trail,” said Stephanie Cutter, deputy campaign manager for Obama’s re-election race.

For more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/01/26/the-friendship-of-barack-and-hillary/?hpid=z3

11. CR says:

Stamp prices: Postage stamp increase coming in January 2013

OCTOBER 12, 2012 examiner

Postage stamp prices are about to increase again after 2012. The U.S. Postal Service announced Thursday it will raise postage prices by January 27, 2013. Stamps that are now 45 cents will have a one cent increase going up to 46 cents.

A new global “forever” stamp will be introduced for the set price of $1.10 for first-class letters being sent anywhere in the world. As international costs stand now, it varies depending on the country a letter is sent to. First-class letters sent to Canada and Mexico are 85 cents.

As MSN Money reports, the Postal Service cannot raise their prices more than the rate of inflation — or 2.6 percent — unless it receives special permission.

The Post Office expects to lose an astounding $15 billion and has asked Congress for a five cent increase. Lawmakers haven’t moved in favor of that request.

Stamp prices already went up by one cent in 2012. For many this will come as another increase in costs along with everything else. Forever stamps will always be available and probably a good investment at the rate in which postage is going up.

For more about postage stamps and prices for mailing letters and packages, check out the U.S. Postal Service web site.

12. CR says:

Please join me in lighting a candle for our President, First Family and our Nation.

13. CR says:

********************
    THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED NBLB

Come on over to my newest post titled: “Comprehensive Immigration Reform ”

********************

To get to the newest post click on “HOME” at the top of the thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 291 other followers