Congressional Reform Act of 2013
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 01/31/2013. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.
Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves.
Serving in Congress
8. Term limits will be set the same as president. A two term limit for all congressman/women will take effect immediately and all pensions stop for everyone past and present. They made enough money by being in office for two terms, now they can go and get a job with that nice resume they have, just like the rest of us would have to do.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their Term(s), then go home and back to work
To sign the petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/congressional-reform-152
Learn about the United States Congress