2013 Presidential Medal of Freedom

Presidential Medal of Freedom

The Medal of Freedom is the Nation’s highest civilian honor, presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

Awarded for “a meritorious act or service which has aided the United States in the prosecution of a war against an enemy or enemies and for which an award of another United States medal or decoration is considered inappropriate”

This year marks the 50th Anniversary of the Executive Order signed by President John F. Kennedy establishing the Presidential Medal of Freedom, as well as the first ceremony bestowing the honor on an inaugural class of 31 recipients. Since that time, more than 500 exceptional individuals from all corners of society have been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

President Obama said, “The Presidential Medal of Freedom goes to men and women who have dedicated their own lives to enriching ours. This year’s honorees have been blessed with extraordinary talent, but what sets them apart is their gift for sharing that talent with the world. It will be my honor to present them with a token of our nation’s gratitude.”

On November 20, 2013 the following individuals will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom:

Ernie Banks
Arturo Sandoval
Dean Smith
Gloria Steinem
Cordy Tindell “C.T.” Vivian
Patricia Wald
Oprah Winfrey

For the entire article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/08/president-obama-names-presidential-medal-freedom-recipients

About these ads

11:00 AM
    11:05 AM
    President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Sixteen Recipients

12:00 PM
    1:00 PM
    1:00 PM
    President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton attends a wreath-laying ceremony to honor President John F. Kennedy’ as the nation observes the 50th anniversary of his assassination.
    Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA

2:00 PM
    3:00 PM
    4:00 PM
    4:05 PM
    President Obama meets with representatives from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners

5:00 PM
    6:00 PM
    7:00 PM
    7:10 PM
    President Obama Speaks at a Dinner in Honor of Medal of Freedom Awardees
    Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington, DC

8:00 PM
    8:40 PM
    President Obama Attends a Performance by Arturo Sandoval in Honor of Medal of Freedom Awardees
    Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington, DC

9:00 PM
    10:00 PM

2. CR says:

August 08, 2013

President Obama Names Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipients

2013 Marks 50th Anniversary of President Kennedy’s Establishment of the Presidential Medal of Freedom

WASHINGTON – Today, President Barack Obama named sixteen recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the Nation’s highest civilian honor, presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors. The awards will be presented at the White House later this year.

The following individuals will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom:

Dean Smith
    Gloria Steinem
    Cordy Tindell “C.T.” Vivian
    Patricia Wald
    Oprah Winfrey

3. vitaminlover says:

Impressive list of recipients!

4. CR says:

Obamas, Clintons to visit JFK gravesite Wednesday

11/16/13 NEDRA PICKLER – Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama will visit John F. Kennedy’s gravesite and honor two of Kennedy’s lasting initiatives as the nation observes the 50th anniversary of his assassination in the coming week.

Obama and his wife, Michelle, will be accompanied by former President Bill Clinton and his wife, Hillary, at a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday afternoon. Also that day, Obama will be joined by scores of prominent Americans who have received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in paying tribute to Kennedy’s legacy.

Kennedy established the modern version of the medal, the highest award the U.S. bestows on civilians, in the months before his death. He was killed two weeks before he planned to honor the inaugural group of recipients, and it fell to President Lyndon Johnson to preside over the ceremony at the White House on the day Kennedy’s family was moving out.

Since then more than 500 have received the medal.

Obama will present the award Wednesday to the 2013 recipients, including Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, the late astronaut Sally Ride, women’s rights activist Gloria Steinem, baseball Hall of Famer Ernie Banks, country music singer Loretta Lynn and 10 others.

On Wednesday evening, Obama plans a speech on Kennedy’s legacy of service with a dinner at the Smithsonian American History Museum attended by current and past recipients of the medal, including baseball’s Hank Aaron, astronaut Buzz Aldrin, singer Aretha Franklin, economist Alan Greenspan, activist Jesse Jackson and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

Kennedy’s grandson, Jack Schlossberg, is to introduce Obama at the dinner. Other Kennedy members plan to attend, including Robert Kennedy’s daughter Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and former diplomat Jean Kennedy Smith, a former medal winner and John Kennedy’s last surviving sibling.

Friday marks 50 years to the day since Kennedy was killed by a gunman in Dallas. Obama will meet privately at the White House that day with leaders and volunteers from the Peace Corps program Kennedy established.

For more: http://news.yahoo.com/obamas-clintons-visit-jfk-gravesite-wednesday-140805502–politics.html

5. CR says:

MBA Purchase Applications

Released On 11/20/2013 7:00:00 AM For wk11/15, 2013
    Prior Actual

Composite Index – W/W Change -1.8 % -2.3 %
    Purchase Index – W/W Change -1.0 % 6.0 %
    Refinance Index – W/W Change -2.0 % -7.0 %

Highlights
    The purchase index popped 6.0 percent higher in the November 15 week to end a run of negative readings. The refinance index, however, extended its run of minuses, falling 7.0 percent. Rates were little changed in the week with the average 30-year rate for conforming loans ($417,500 or less) down 1 basis point to 4.47 percent.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/economic-calendar/

6. CR says:

9:00 AM EST
    Warriors for Wireless Event
    The White House

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

7. CR says:

Tribes to receive Congressional Gold Medals in honor of Code Talkers

choctawnation.com

On Nov. 20, the Congress of the United States will present Congressional gold medals to 26 tribes in honor of their tribal members’ service in the U.S. military as Code Talkers in World War I and World War II. A private awards ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. in the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center in Washington, D.C. The tribe will receive the Congressional Gold Medal, and each one will be of a unique design befitting that tribe. The Code Talkers or a surviving family member will receive duplicate solid Silver medals. Bronze duplicate medals will be sold to be public from the United States Mint beginning soon afterward.

During World War I and World War II, hundreds of American Indians from dozens of tribes joined the U.S. armed forces. Historically, they are among the first to volunteer and are recognized as having the highest record of service on average compared to other ethnic groups.

One small group of Choctaw men helped turn the tide during World War I and was so successful their method of communications was repeated in World War II. They were the original Code Talkers who used words from their traditional tribal language as weapons. America’s enemies were never able to decipher or “break” the coded message they sent.

“The Code Talker Recognition Act paved the way for Congressional medals to honor American Indian Code Talkers,” said Choctaw Nation Chief Gregory E. Pyle. “It has been a delayed and challenging path since the beginning of the crusade for acknowledgement. Many people worked tirelessly in an effort to educate others about the Code Talkers. They walked the halls of Congress to raise awareness and are now going to see the realization of their goal.”

For more: http://choctawnation.com/news-room/press-room/media-releases/tribes-to-receive-congressional-gold-medals-in-honor-of-code-talkers/

8. CR says:

Consumer Prices in U.S. Decline for First Time in Six Months

Nov 20, 2013 5:53 AM PT By Shobhana Chandra & Victoria Stilwell – bloomberg

The cost of living in the U.S. declined in October for the first time in six months, showing inflation remains below the Federal Reserve’s goal.

The consumer-price index dropped 0.1 percent, reflecting cheaper energy, clothing and new cars, after a 0.2 percent gain the prior month, a Labor Department report showed today in Washington. The median forecast of 85 economists surveyed by Bloomberg called for no change. Excluding volatile food and fuel, the so-called core measure rose 0.1 percent.

Companies from Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) to Macy’s Inc. (M) are holding the line on prices to attract more customers heading into the holiday-shopping period. Limited inflation also gives Fed officials the flexibility to maintain their $85 billion-a-month bond purchase program to stimulate the economy.

“Inflation is a distant concern at this time,” Russell Price, senior economist at Ameriprise Financial Inc. in Detroit, said before the report. “It gives the Fed room for its continued quantitative-easing efforts.”

Estimates for the consumer-price index ranged from a drop of 0.2 percent to a gain of 0.2 percent, according to the Bloomberg survey. Economists projected the core gauge would rise 0.1 percent.

Stock-index futures rose after the inflation data and a separate report showing retail sales increased more than forecast in October. The contract on the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index expiring in December increased 0.2 percent to 1,788.2 at 8:51 a.m. in New York.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-20/consumer-prices-in-u-s-decline-for-first-time-in-six-months.html

9. CR says:

Retail Sales in U.S. Increased More Than Forecast in October

Nov 20, 2013 5:46 AM PT By Victoria Stilwell – bloomberg

Retail sales in the U.S. rose more than forecast in October, a sign that consumer spending was resilient even during the government shutdown.

The 0.4 percent increase was the most in three months and followed no change in September, Commerce Department figures showed today in Washington. The median forecast of 86 economists surveyed by Bloomberg called for a 0.1 percent October advance.

Sales excluding gasoline climbed 0.5 percent.

Fuel costs near their lowest levels in more than two years and household wealth boosted by rising stock and home prices may keep underpinning consumers’ ability to buy. The pickup boosts the outlook for retailers such as Macy’s Inc. heading into the holiday-shopping season.

“Maybe the rhetoric was just a little bit overblown in terms of the magnitude of the economic impact behind the partial government shutdown,” said Michael Brown, an economist at Wells Fargo Securities LLC in Charlotte, North Carolina. The firm is the best forecaster of retail sales during the last two years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. “As we get ready to go into the holiday shopping season, this is welcome news.”

Estimates in the Bloomberg survey ranged from a decline of 0.3 percent to a gain of 0.7 percent. The reading for September was revised from an initially reported 0.1 percent decrease.

Stock-index futures rose after the sales data and a separate report showing consumer prices declined. The contract on the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index expiring in December increased 0.2 percent to 1,788.3 at 8:46 a.m. in New York.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-20/retail-sales-in-u-s-increased-more-than-forecast-in-october.html

10. CR says:

9:45 AM ET
    Vice President Biden meets with Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong

11. Isaac Nuru says:

Thank You!

12. CR says:

Business Inventories

Released On 11/20/2013 10:00:00 AM For Sep, 2013

Prior Prior Revised Consensus Consensus Range Actual
    Inventories – M/M change 0.3 % 0.4 % 0.3 % 0.2 % to 0.4 % 0.6 %

Market Consensus before announcement
    Business inventories rose 0.3 percent in August versus a 0.4 percent rise in sales which kept the stock-to-sales ratio unchanged for a third straight month at 2.90. All three components contributed to the balance. The stock-to-sales ratio in retail is unchanged at 1.40 for a 3rd straight month. The ratios in wholesale, at 1.17, and in manufacturing, at 1.29, have been dead steady for 4 straight months.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/economic-calendar/

13. CR says:

November 19, 2013

Interview of the First Lady by Bow Wow and Keshia Chante

BET’S 106 & PARK
    Black Entertainment Television Studios
    New York, New York

3:00 P.M. EST

MRS. OBAMA: Hello!

Q Well, hello!

MRS. OBAMA: This is nice. (Applause.)

Q So, welcome to 106. It’s an honor, if I may say so myself, to have you here. We’re really excited that you are here.

MRS. OBAMA: Well, let me just start by saying, first of all, that was my music to Let’s Move.

Q Yes.

MRS. OBAMA: Beyoncé hooked a sister up.

Q She really did.

MRS. OBAMA: But I have to say I was sharing with you all that this appearance gives me street cred in my own home, because my kids never care what I do. When I told them I was coming here, they were like, oh. (Laughter.) So I’m very happy to be here with you. (Applause.)

Q So your daughters are excited.

MRS. OBAMA: Yes, they are.

Q So as you said, that was a collaboration with you and Beyoncé for your Let’s Move campaign.

MRS. OBAMA: Absolutely.

Q Really cool flash mob dancing. It was in a cafeteria if you guys all saw it. And it was a great workout routine. I got a little workout in that.

MRS. OBAMA: A little moving. That’s important for you guys. I want you guys to be healthy, eat right, keep moving. When we did this video, we had flash mobs going on across the world. It wasn’t just — so on that day, people were moving. It was amazing. And I just want to thank Beyoncé. She has been terrific, just a great supporter. She is amazing. (Applause.)

Q So you’re so committed to encouraging young people to be the best versions of themselves. But I kind of want to know what were you like growing up?

MRS. OBAMA: What was I like when I was growing up? I have to say, I was a pretty serious student. I mean, one of the things I wanted to make sure was that I didn’t peak in high school. That’s something I want you all — you don’t want your best days to be in high school. So I focused on school. I mean, I was really clear that I wanted to go to college. So I needed to have myself together, go to my classes — be on point, be involved in the school. I was student class treasurer, so I wasn’t doing too much partying in high school. I was trying to get myself into college.

Q Good for you.

Q Oh, most definitely. (Applause.) And see, that was my next question. I was getting ready to ask you, well, what did you do for fun?

MRS. OBAMA: It was pretty low key back then. I try to tell my kids they have way more fun than we ever do. I mean, my kids go to parties. They hang out. But what we really did — hung out with friends. You went over somebody’s house, played some music. We didn’t have a lot of money. Nobody had cars. You had to borrow. I know I was driving around my father’s deuce and a quarter. And if he had to take that car to work, you didn’t have a car.

So you went over to a friend’s house. There were occasional parties, but there weren’t that many parties going on. So I was probably a little more dull than people might imagine in high school.

Q And I know with growing up, there’s goals that people set all the time. Now, was there something that you wanted to be when you were growing up?

MRS. OBAMA: I thought I wanted to be a pediatrician when I was really little. And then, I wasn’t that great at math and science, so I switched to law, because my mother told me I like to argue a lot. But I realized in high school and in college that you don’t have to exactly know. You’re kind of always discovering yourself.

So I studied law. I went to law school, but it was pretty clear that I just wanted to be a good student. I wanted to know how to read and write and communicate, be able to articulate my point, which is always a good skill. And I’m still discovering who I want to be. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I leave the White House. So I tell young people you are always reinventing yourself. You’re always discovering who you’re going to be. The learning never stops. So ask me that in three and a half years or so and we’ll see what it looks like on that side.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/11/19/interview-first-lady-bow-wow-and-keshia-chante

14. CR says:

11:05 AM ET
    President Obama awards the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Vice President Biden and First Lady Michelle also attend.

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

CSPAN http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/316372-1

• CR says:

November 20, 2013

Remarks by the President at Presidential Medal of Freedom Ceremony

East Room

11:17 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning! (Applause.) Good morning, everybody! Everybody, please have a seat. Have a seat.

Well, on behalf of Michelle and myself, welcome to the White House. This is one of my favorite events every year, especially special this year, as I look at this extraordinary group of individuals and our opportunity to honor them with our nation’s highest civilian honor — the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

And this year, it’s just a little more special because this marks the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy establishing this award. We’re honored, by the way, today to have with us one of my favorite people — Ethel Kennedy — and a pretty good basketball player, President Kennedy’s grandson, Jack. (Applause.)

This medal has been bestowed on more than 500 deserving people. Tonight, I’m looking forward to joining some of these honorees, as well as members of the Kennedy family, as we pay tribute to these 50 years of excellence. And this morning, we’re honored to add 16 new names to this distinguished list.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/11/20/remarks-president-presidential-medal-freedom-ceremony

15. CR says:

1:00 PM ET
    Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA

CSPAN http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/316372-2

• CR says:

Wreath Laying Ceremony in Honor of President John F. Kennedy

Published on Nov 20, 2013

President Obama and the First Lady, joined by Former President Clinton, former Secretary Clinton and members of the Kennedy family, visit Arlington National Cemetery to participate in a wreath laying ceremony in honor of the life and legacy of the late President John F. Kennedy. November 20, 2013.

16. CR says:

Real progress on Guantanamo

11/20/13 11:00 AM By Steve Benen – maddowblog

President Obama has pushed for closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay since literally his first week in office. And for just as long, Congress has pushed back in the opposite direction.

After five years, the White House has finally inched closer to its goal. Adam Serwer reported last night on a rare congressional victory for Obama’s long-sought policy.

Tuesday evening, the Senate defeated an attempt by Republican New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte to add an amendment to the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act that would have barred transfers of Gitmo detainees to U.S. soil for detention, trial or medical treatment. […]

Ayotte didn’t even get a simple majority for her bill – let alone the 60 votes she needed to add the amendment to the bill under an agreement reached by Senate leadership on the amendment process. Her amendment went down, 43-55. The fact that Ayotte couldn’t get a majority on her side strengthens Senate Democrats’ hand heading into conference.

In recent years, federal lawmakers – including a few too many Democrats, by the way – have placed inflexible restrictions on the Obama administration, which wants to transfer detainees from Guantanamo as a precursor to closing the detention facility altogether. The Senate’s version of the Defense spending bill lifts most of those restrictions, empowering the White House towards its goals.

Ayotte sought to keep the restrictions in place, and a bipartisan majority easily rejected her effort.

“It’s a really big win,” Chris Anders, an attorney with the ACLU, told Serwer. “I think a lot of it is due to President Obama and the Defense department and the White House making very clear that this is something they are now determined to get done.”

It’s not yet a done deal. The House version of the Defense bill, not surprisingly, leaves the restrictions in place and seeks to tie the president’s hands on the issue. Because the Senate bill differs, the issue will now head to a conference committee.

But between the Senate vote and the administration’s lobbying efforts – Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel personally connected with lawmakers recently, explaining the broad benefits of transferring detainees and closing the detention facility – critics of the status quo like their chances.

• CR says:

Why Guantanamo remains open

5/22/14 04:34PM By Steve Benen – maddowblog

President Obama has received a fair amount of criticism from the left about the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. The president vowed to close the prison, but after five years in office, it remains open.

That’s not for lack of effort. Obama has tried, repeatedly, to pursue the policy that used to enjoy bipartisan support, but Congress — including members of both parties — have placed inflexible restrictions on the administration, preventing progress. In other words, the president hasn’t closed the prison because lawmakers simply won’t let him.

Every time there’s reason to think progress is possible, Congress does what it always does. Adam Serwer reports on today’s developments.

Congress isn’t ready to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, either. Shortly before the vote on [Rep. Adam Schiff's] proposal, the House voted down an amendments put forth by Washington Democratic Rep. Adam Smith that would have shut down the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay and lifted the restrictions on transfers of detainees into U.S. prisons.

The White House has threatened to veto the defense bill over the transfer restrictions, but it has backed down from doing so in the past.

Smith reminded his colleagues that the prison, a symbolic scourge around the world, is wildly expensive and entirely unnecessary since the existing federal prison system already houses terrorists.

It didn’t matter — the final vote was 177 to 247. A grand total of six Republicans actually voted with Democrats on this one, which I suppose is a nice silver lining. (23 Dems voted with the GOP majority.)

There’s certainly nothing with being frustrated by the detention facility remaining open, but if you’re blaming the White House, you’re pointing the finger at the wrong end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Read more: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/why-guantanamo-remains-open

17. CR says:

4:05 PM ET

• CR says:

November 20, 2013

Readout of the President’s Meeting With Representatives from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners on the Affordable Care Act

Today, the President met with representatives from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) to discuss the implementation of the Affordable Care Act and other insurance-related issues.

The President reiterated the Administration’s commitment to working in close coordination with insurance commissioners who have a critical role to play in protecting consumers, ensuring plan solvency, and promoting competitive health insurance markets. They also help consumers understand the provisions and opportunities afforded them under the Affordable Care Act.

The President and insurance commissioners also discussed ongoing work to make sure consumers across the country understand their options and rights under the Affordable Care Act.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/11/20/readout-presidents-meeting-representatives-national-association-insuranc

18. CR says:

7:10 PM ET
    President Obama Speaks at a Dinner in Honor of Medal of Freedom Awardees
    Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington, DC

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

• CR says:

November 20, 2013

Remarks by the President at the 50th Anniversary of the Presidential Medal of Freedom

National Museum of American History

7:26 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Good evening, everybody. Please have a seat. Michelle and I are so pleased to join you tonight to honor the legacy of an American leader in a building dedicated to the preservation of our American history.

And we are thrilled to be joined by so many people whose accomplishments helped write new chapters in that history. This morning, I recognized 16 brilliant, compassionate, wildly talented people with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award. And that was intimidating enough. Tonight, I’m facing dozens of you.

To the Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients of this year and years past, it is a great honor to be with you for this anniversary celebration. To Wayne Clough, thank you for hosting us and for all the Smithsonian does to enrich our cultural heritage. And to Jack, I have to say that our new ambassador to Japan, I’m sure, would be pleased with how you performed this evening. I’ll give her a full report. (Laughter.) To all the family members of the Kennedy family, we are grateful for your presence and your enduring contributions to the life of our country.

For centuries, awards have existed for military valor. And fifty years ago, President John F. Kennedy established a way to award extraordinary civilian virtue — contributions to our country, service to our democracy, a dedication to our humanity that has advanced the common interest of freedom-loving people, both here at home and around the world.

Since its creation, the Presidential Medal of Freedom has paid tribute to the creativity of writers, and artists, and entertainers. We’ve recognized the leadership of elected officials and civil rights organizers; the imagination of scientists and business leaders; the grit and determination of our astronauts and our athletes. Because there is no one way to contribute to the success of America. What makes us great is that we believe in a certain set of values that encourage freedom of expression and aspiration. We celebrate imagination and education and occasional rebellion. And we refuse to set limits on what we can do or who we can be.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/11/20/remarks-president-50th-anniversary-presidential-medal-freedom

19. CR says:

8:40 PM ET
    Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington, DC

20. Kat 4 Obama says:

Happy and HOPEful Wednesday, CR and all friends!

Great post!

12:30 PM
    President Obama and Vice President Biden meet for lunch
    Private Dining Ro

1:00 PM
    White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest briefs the press

1:55 PM
    President Obama Delivers a Statement on the Change in the Senate’s Filibuster Rules

2:00 PM
    President Obama delivers remarks at a ConnectED Champions of Change event
    South Court Auditorium

3:00 PM
    3:30 PM
    Vice President Biden meets with Prime Minister Robert Fico of Slovakia
    White House

4:00 PM
    5:00 PM
    6:00 PM
    Vice President Biden and Dr. Jill Biden host their annual early Thanksgiving dinner for Wounded Warriors and their families
    Naval Observatory

7:00 PM
    8:00 PM
    9:00 PM
    10:00 PM

22. CarolMaeWY says:

Thank you for all you post. I would just like to say Pres. Kennedy also established the Peace Corp and the Presidential Fitness Award.

• CR says:

Hello CarolMaeWY! Thank you for your comment. Yes, Pres Kennedy did those things and more for America. I often wonder what our world would have been like had Pres Kennedy lived. From what I learned he lived with much pain. It is also so sad that the Kennedy family has had so many tragedies. My heart goes out for Japanese Ambassador Caroline Kennedy; I hope that she is doing well in Japan.

Thank God that Pres Kennedy’s Vice President LB Johnson stepped up and Pres LB Johnson passed so many civil rights Laws.

• CarolMaeWY says:

Thanks Carol, we have same initials in real life! ;) I agree with everything you mentioned. Thanks again. Yes, I have heard Pres. Kennedy lived in a lot of pain. Much of that might be help with modern medice but I don’t know. CMWYR. . . ;)

23. CR says:

Claims for U.S. Jobless Benefits Fall More Than Forecast

Nov 21, 2013 5:50 AM PT By Michelle Jamrisko – bloomberg

Applications for unemployment benefits in the U.S. declined to the lowest level in almost two months, showing further healing in the labor market.

Jobless claims in the week ended Nov. 16 dropped by 21,000 to 323,000, the fewest since the week ended Sept. 28, from a revised 344,000 the previous week, the Labor Department said today in Washington. The median forecast of 47 economists surveyed by Bloomberg called for a drop to 335,000. Last week included the Veterans’ Day holiday, which makes adjusting the data for seasonal swings more difficult, a Labor Department spokesman said.

Rising sales going into the holiday-shopping period will probably prompt employers to keep current workers on staff to meet demand. Fewer firings may also lead to bigger gains in hiring that will help boost consumer spending, which accounts for almost 70 percent of the economy.

“We’re discounting this a little bit, only because some of this is just seasonal noise,” said Omair Sharif, a U.S. economist for RBS Securities in Stamford, Connecticut, who projected a drop in claims to 325,000. “The pace of layoffs hasn’t changed that significantly in the last few months.”

Economists’ estimates in the Bloomberg survey ranged from 323,000 to 360,000. The prior week’s claims were revised up from an initial reading of 339,000.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/fewer-americans-than-forecast-file-claims-for-jobless-benefits.html

24. CR says:

Wholesale Prices in U.S. Fell in October for a Second Month

Nov 21, 2013 5:59 AM By Shobhana Chandra & Michelle Jamrisko – bloomberg

Wholesale prices in the U.S. fell in October for a second month, reflecting cheaper energy costs.

The 0.2 percent drop in the producer-price index followed a 0.1 percent decline the prior month, a Labor Department report showed today in Washington. The decrease matched the median estimate in a Bloomberg survey of 75 economists. The so-called core measure, which excludes food and energy, increased 0.2 percent as the cost of cars jumped by the most in four years.

Weaker overseas markets such as Europe are limiting demand for commodities including fuel, keeping a lid on prices within the production chain. The lack of inflationary pressures indicates Federal Reserve policy makers have room to maintain their $85 billion-a-month asset program to spur growth.

“Inflation’s clearly low, but I don’t think it’s getting any lower from here,” said Omair Sharif, a U.S. economist for RBS Securities in Stamford, Connecticut. As the U.S. economy improves, inflation will be in “ a real slow, gradual drift upwards.”

Estimates for the wholesale prices in the Bloomberg survey ranged from a drop of 0.4 percent to a gain of 0.3 percent.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/wholesale-prices-in-u-s-declined-in-october-for-a-second-month.html

25. CR says:

PMI Manufacturing Index Flash

Released On 11/21/2013 8:58:00 AM For Nov, 2013

Prior Consensus Consensus Range Actual
    Level 51.1 53.0 51.0 to 53.0 54.3

Highlights
    Composite activity in Markit Economics’ manufacturing sample is suddenly picking up steam, at an 8-month high of 54.3 for sizable gains vs October’s final reading of 51.8 and October’s mid-month flash of 51.1. Markit’s PMI is now almost matching the ISM’s manufacturing PMI which has been much stronger, over 55 going all the way back to July.

Strength in this sample is centered so far this month in output which is surging, to 57.1 to show the strongest rate of monthly growth since February. This points to a second straight month of strength for the manufacturing component of the November industrial production report.

The index for new orders, which is the most important detail of all, also shows strength, at 54.9 for a roughly 3 point gain from the October readings. But the strength in orders isn’t coming much from foreign demand as the new export index remains subdued, at 52.6.

Also on the soft side is employment which is still showing monthly growth, at a plus 50 reading of 52.2, but not very much. This index has averaged only 52.0 over the past 6 months.

Input cost pressure is moderate but is at its highest level since February, driven this month by higher metal prices. Output prices are also a bit higher as firms pass along higher costs.

An important detail in the report is a lengthening in delivery times which are the slowest since July 2011. This is consistent with rising activity.

Rates of growth are still on the moderate side but the gains bring this report into the bullish camp for the manufacturing sector where data have been very bumpy and difficult to read.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/economic-calendar/

26. CR says:

Yellen Nomination Clears Senate Panel in 14-8 Vote

Nov. 21, 2013 Bloomberg

Bloomberg chief Washington correspondent Peter Cook reports that the Senate Banking Committee has voted 14-8 to send Janet Yellen’s nomination to be chairman of Federal Reserve ahead to the full Senate. He speaks on Bloomberg Television’s “Market Makers.”

27. CR says:

Resilient U.S. Shoppers Offer Holiday Hope to Retailers: Economy

Nov 21, 2013 7:20 AM PT By Victoria Stilwell – bloomberg

Americans look to be in the mood to shop this holiday season as their buying power gets a lift from more plentiful jobs and cheaper gasoline.

Consumers spent at the fastest pace in three months in October, snapping up everything from clothing and electronics to sporting goods and restaurant meals, a government report showed yesterday. Economists, surprised by the spending strength, said the momentum will carry into year-end.

“Consumers are marginally better off” compared with last year, said Thomas Simons, a money-market economist at Jefferies LLC in New York. “We have been adding more jobs, and while wages are somewhat flat, people who were earning nothing before are earning something now.”

Such resilience may mean the most dire predictions for the holiday-shopping season will be unfulfilled, providing relief to retailers Macy’s Inc. (M) to Best Buy Co. (BBY), which have warned they’ll discount merchandise to boost sales. Economists at Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase & Co. are among those forecasting consumer spending will pick up from its weakest performance in more than two years, helping the economy grow even as companies reduce production to work off bloated inventories.

Retail sales rose 0.4 percent in October, the most in three months and representing gains in nine of 13 categories, figures from the Commerce Department showed yesterday. The median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg projected a 0.1 percent advance.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/resilient-u-s-shoppers-offer-holiday-hope-to-deal-weary-stores.html

28. CR says:

gop-blocks-pres-obamas-nominees

Senate Enacts Rules to End Minority Blocking of Nominees

Nov 21, 2013 9:46 AM PT Kathleen Hunter – bloomberg

The U.S. Senate enacted a major change to its rules, paving the way to allow a simple majority to confirm nominees for executive branch jobs and most judicial posts.

The Senate voted 52-48 on a procedural issue that effectively ends the requirement that at least 60 votes are needed to advance nominations, except for those to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid today said that since the nation was founded, half of the 168 nominees delayed in the Senate using the procedure were selections of President Barack Obama.

“Is there anything fair about that?” Reid said before lawmakers began debating the changes. “The American people believe the Senate is broken, and I believe the American people are right.”

Reid invoked what has been described as the nuclear option. The revision is limited to executive branch and lower-court nominations and wouldn’t apply to legislation, Reid said.

The Senate is “burning wasted hours and wasted days between filibusters,” Reid said. “Today, Democrats and independents are saying ‘enough is enough.’”

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/reid-plans-to-execute-change-to-nominee-rules-aide-says.html

29. CR says:

CSPAN http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/316397-2

• CR says:

November 21, 2013

Remarks by the President at Champions of Change ConnectED Event

South Court Auditorium

2:28 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Well, hello, everybody. Have a seat, have a seat. And thank you, Misa, for the introduction and, more importantly, what you are doing in the classroom every single day, which is making such a big difference. And I want to welcome all of you who are here. This is one of my favorite events we do periodically. It gives me an opportunity to say thanks and recognize people who are making extraordinary contributions in their local communities. And we’re learning from you, seeing what works, seeing what has an impact.

We call them Champions of Change: people who have done some innovative work that hopefully can be replicated in other parts of the country once they have good models that are having success. And today, we are honoring 10 educators who use technology to support one of our country’s top priorities, and that’s preparing our kids and our workers for the competition that they’re going to face in a 21st century global economy.

In an age when the world’s information is just a click away, we’ve got to bring our schools and our libraries into the 21st century. That’s why five months ago I launched an initiative that we’re calling ConnectED to bring high-speed Internet to 99 percent of American students over the next five years. And this is going to be a top priority for me. It’s going to take some hard work across my administration, but I’m committed to getting it done.

For more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/11/21/remarks-president-champions-change-connected-event

31. CR says:

2:15 PM ESTShare
    White House Champions of Change: ConnectEd
    The White House

WhiteHouse.gov http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

• CR says:

November 21, 2013

Remarks by the President at Champions of Change ConnectED Event

South Court Auditorium

2:28 P.M. EST

Because this is not just about wiring schools; it’s about changing students’ lives. It’s about using technology to give students a chance to learn at their own pace, whether they’re catching up on a subject or moving ahead to the next level. It’s about giving teachers a better data set so they can see exactly what’s working and what isn’t for particular students. It’s about unleashing a new market for educational devices and apps that will create jobs and spur innovation.

32. CR says:

3:30 PM ET
    Vice President Biden meets with Prime Minister Robert Fico of Slovakia
    White House

33. CR says:

Dow Closes Above 16,000 on Jobless Claims, Buybacks

Nov 21, 2013 1:41 PM PT By Nick Taborek – bloomberg

U.S. stocks rose, sending the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its first close above 16,000, as data showed improvement in the job market and companies including Union Pacific Corp., Johnson Controls Inc. and Ace Ltd. said they would repurchase shares.

Union Pacific, Johnson Controls and Ace advanced at least 1.4 percent. Micron Technology Inc. rallied 6.3 percent, the most since August, as David Einhorn, president of Greenlight Capital Inc., recommended the shares. General Motors Co. (GM) gained 1.1 percent after the U.S. Treasury Department said it plans to sell its remaining stake in the company. Target Corp. (TGT) lost 3.5 percent after reporting profit that trailed analysts’ estimates on a loss in its Canadian unit.

The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index increased 0.8 percent to 1,795.85 at 4 p.m. in New York, erasing most of the decline from the past three days. The Dow average rose 109.17 points, or 0.7 percent, to a record 16,009.60.

“After three consecutive negative days it’s reasonable to expect a breather at least in the beginning of the day,” Lawrence Creatura, a Rochester, New York-based fund manager at Federated Investors Inc., which oversees about $364 billion, said in a phone interview. “There is some good news in the labor report too in that it does indicate a degree of improvement.”

Investors are pouring more money into stock mutual funds in the U.S. than they have in 13 years, attracted by a market near record highs and stung by bond losses that would deepen if interest rates keep rising. Stock funds won $172 billion in the year’s first 10 months, the largest amount since they got $272 billion in all of 2000, according to Morningstar Inc. estimates.

For more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/u-s-stock-index-futures-advance-before-jobless-report.html

34. CR says:

6:00 PM ET
    Naval Observatory

35. CR says:

*******************
    THIS POST IS NOW CLOSED NBLB

Come on over to my newest post titled: ” Nov 22, 1963: Death of the President Kennedy″

********************

To get to the newest post click on “HOME” at the top of the thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 259 other followers