Jon Stewart takes down GOP “warfare queens”
The GOP are starring in the play “A Streetcar Named We’re Always Wrong”
JUN 27, 2014 SARAH GRAY – SALON
Last night Jon Stewart destroyed the GOP’s hypocrisy when it comes to readily spending on nation building (military interventions everywhere), but their desire to block nation building when it is our own country (infrastructure, healthcare, gun control).
“I’m really worried about the Republicans,” Stewart explained. “Their inability to wean themselves off of military intervention. They have a culture of defendency, if you will. And I believe it’s turned them all into warfare queens. And I think we need to cut them off for their own good.”
After plenty of mocking of John McCain (“We are the party of hell no!”), Stewart turned his eyes to another GOP leader who could uses some serious weaning off the military industrial complex: Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama.
- Feb 7, 2014 – Senate GOP block unemployment benefits
- Feb 27, 2014 – Senate GOP block a $21 billion bill for veterans bill
- Apr 9, 2014 - House GOP let jobless aid ‘come to an end’
- Apr 9, 2014 - Paycheck Fairness Act from getting a vote. the
- Apr 11, 2013 - the from getting a vote.
- May 4, 2014 – Senate GOP block an increase in the minimum wage
- May 16, 2014 - Senate Republicans block a bill to renew tax breaks
President Obama is Taking Action
In his 2014 State of the Union address, President Obama affirmed that this would be “A Year of Action” to help ensure opportunity for all Americans.
Since January, the President has taken more than 20 actions to help build real, lasting economic security for the middle class and expand opportunities for every hardworking American to get ahead:
- 1/3/14 Partnering With Many of America’s Leading CEOs to Help the Long-Term Unemployed
- 1/9/14 Promoting Economic Development in “Promise Zones“
- 1/15/14 Wide Bandgap Semiconductors launched in Raleigh, NC
- 1/16/14 College Opportunity Summit with more than 150 commitments by colleges, universities and organizations
- 1/29/14 Presidential Memorandum directing Treasury to create myRA retirement program
- 1/30/14 President Obama announced a FAFSA Completion Initiative, led by the Department of Education, to increase the percentage of students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA)
- 1/31/14 300+ companies signed on to best practices on recruiting and hiring the long-term unemployed, along with $150 !million committed towards Ready to Work Partnership Grants
- 2/4/14 Annoucement of President’s ConnectED goal of connecting 99% of students to next-generation broadband and wireless technology within five years.
- 2/5/14 New USDA regional climate hubs established
- 2/7/14 “Made In Rural America” Export and Investment Initiative
- 2/12/14 Executive Order raising minimum wage for workers on new federal contracts
- 2/18/14 President Obama directed the EPA and Dept. of Transportation to develop and issue new fuel-efficiency standards for heavy-duty vehicles and propose new incentives for medium- and heavy-duty trucks that run on alternative fuels like natural gas — benefiting our planet, our economy, and our energy security.
- 2/19/14 Executive Order directing the timely completion of the International Trade Data System
- 2/25/14 New manufacturing institutes launched Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago and One Institute in Detroit
- 2/27/14 Presidential Memorandum – Creating and Expanding Ladders of Opportunity for Boys and Young Men of Color
- 3/7/14 FAFSA Completion Initiative launched to help students apply for college financial aid
- 3/11/14 President Obama Establishes Point Arena-Stornetta Unit of California Coastal National Monument
- 3/13/14 Presidential Memorandum – Updating and Modernizing Overtime Regulations
- 3/14/14 Gainful employment regulations released to protect many students from unaffordable college loans
- 3/19/14 Climate Data Initiative launched
- 3/20/14 Announcement of 2015 SelectUSA Summit and over $18 billion in investment facilitated by SelectUSA to date
- 3/28/14 Released strategy to reduce methane emissions
- 4/7/14 Award of $100 million in grants to redesign high schools
- 4/8/14 Executive Order – Equal Pay Rules For Federal Contractors
- 4/16/14 President Obama announced two new grant programs to spread models of job-driven training — along with private-sector commitments
- 4/25/14 Laid out plan to strengthen America’s teacher preparation programs
- 5/6/14 Third National Climate Assessment released
- 5/9/14 Commitment by 300 public and private sector organizations to cut energy waste and deploy enough solar energy to power nearly 130,000 homes
- 5/21/14 President Obama Designates Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument
- 5/22/14 Presidential Memorandum directing DHS and Commerce to take steps to improve the entry process for international arrivals
- 5/27/14 4th White House Science Fair with new steps to help more students excel in STEM education and ConnectED commitments
- 5/28/14 Energy Datapalooza with commitments from utilities and cities to use open data to drive energy efficiency
- 5/29/14 White House Healthy Kids and Safe Sports Concussion Summit
- 5/30/14 My Brother’s Keeper Federal Task Force issued its 90-day report
- 6/2/14 Proposed the Clean Power Plan to protect the health of our children and put our nation on the path toward a 30 percent
- reduction in carbon pollution from the power sector by 2030
- 6/4/14 Joined four governors and 77 mayors to call for an end to veterans homelessness by the end of 2015
- 6/9/14 Presidential Memorandum — “Pay As You Earn’ Federal Student Loan Repayments
- 6/12/14 Proposed rule issued to raise minimum wage for workers on new federal contracts to $10.10 an hour
- 6/13/14 Announced steps to strengthen Native American communities through education and economic development
- 6/14/14 Nearly $1 billion National Disaster Resilience Competition announced, to support innovative local resilience projects
- 6/17/14 Actions announced to preserve and protect oceans, including to combat black market fishing
- 6/17/14 New actions by federal agencies, Mayors, and local leaders to invest locally in manufacturing entrepreneurship
- 6/18/14 First-Ever White House Maker Faire, expanding access to tools to launch businesses, learn STEM skills, and lead a grassroots renaissance in American manufacturing
- 6/20/14 Presidential Action:
- 6/23/14 Actions taken to support working families as part of Summit on Working Families, including a Presidential Memorandum directing federal agencies to enhance workplace flexibilities
- 7/11/14 Presidential Initiative of SupplierPay, a new partnership with the private sector to strengthen small businesses by increasing their working capital, so they can grow their businesses and hire more workers.
- President Obama will call on business leaders, community colleges, mayors, governors, and labor leaders to increase the number of U.S. apprenticeships
- President Obama will direct his Administration to work with states, cities, and tribes to cut harmful carbon pollution by developing clean energy and energy efficiency policies.