Happy Birthday Vice President Biden!!!
Vice President Biden’s was born on November 20, 1942
Six-term Sen. Joseph Biden, Jr. of Delaware was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 1972 when 29 years old, the youngest U.S. senator in modern history.
Biden, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in the 110th Congress (2007-08), is a gifted negotiator who has helped shape U.S. security and foreign relations policies for decades. He’s a moderate Democrat who often bridges the bipartisan gap.
Other notable actions:
- When he vehemently objected to the nomination of neocon John Bolton to be U.N. ambassador.
- As Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Biden led confirmation fights against Supreme Court nominees Robert Bork (not confirmed) and Clarence Thomas (confirmed).
Major Areas of Interest:
- Senator Biden is one of the most respected Senate voices on foreign policy, civil liberties, crime and college aid/loan programs, and an avid supporter of AMTRAK.
- Biden is a leader in fighting drug use and deterring drugs from entering the U.S.
- Biden has crafted many landmark federal crime laws, including the Violent Crime Control Act of 1994 and the Violence Against Women Act of 2000.
Senate Committees in the 110th Congress:
- Committee on Foreign Relations, Chair
- Committee on the Judiciary, Chair from 1987 to 1995
- Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Victims’ rights, ranking Democratic member
- Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, co-chair
- Senate NATO Observer group, co-chair
- Senate National Security working group, co-chair
- Congressional Firemen’s Caucus, co-chair
- Congressional International Anti-Piracy caucus, co-chair
- Congressional Air Force and National Guard caucuses
Now, as the 47th Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden has continued his leadership on important issues facing the nation.
January 12, 2017
President Obama presents the Presidential Medal of Freedom
to Vice President Joseph Biden