In 2011, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden came together to launch Joining Forces, a nationwide initiative calling all Americans to rally around service members, veterans, and their families and support them through wellness, education, and employment opportunities. Joining Forces works hand in hand with the public and private sector to ensure that service members, veterans, and their families have the tools they need to succeed throughout their lives.
Primary Objectives of Joining Forces
- Bring attention to the unique experiences and strengths of America’s service members, veterans, and their families.
- Inspire, educate, and spark action from all sectors of society — citizens, communities, businesses, nonprofits, faith-based institutions, philanthropic organizations, and government — to ensure service members, veterans, and their families have the opportunities, resources, and support they have earned.
- Showcase the skills, experience, and dedication of America’s service members, veterans and their families to strengthen our nation’s communities.
- Create greater connections between the American public and the military.
April 12th is the anniversary of “Joining Forces“
The campaign “aims to educate, challenge, and spark action from all sectors of our society — citizens, communities, businesses, non-profits, faith based institutions, philanthropic organizations, and government — to ensure military families have the support they have earned,”. “We’re focusing on four main areas: Employment, education, wellness and public awareness,” said Mrs. Obama.
- Strengthening Military Families
- TRICARE (Military Healthcare)
- VA Caregiver Support
- Military Homefront
- Joining Forces – Military Family Support Site
- USA4 Military Families
- Military Children
- Civil Rights for Servicemembers
- VA Support for Military Families
- National Resource Directory – Veteran Job Search
- National Resource Directory app – http://apps.usa.gov/national-resource-directory.shtml
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
10:40 AM EDT Anniversary Celebration – White House
First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden will kick off a celebration for military families and organization leaders that have played key roles in supporting our nation’s troops, veterans and families
2:15 PM EDT Nurses Nationwide Join Forces to Support Veterans and Military Families – University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
First Lady Michelle Obama appears on The Colbert Report – New York City
Thursday, April 12, 2012
1:15 PM CT / 2:15 PM EDT
Announcing Joining Forces’ 50,000th Hire – Shreveport, Louisiana
6:00 PM EDT
Honoring Young Women from Military Families – Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida