NATIONAL WEEK OF MAKING, 2015
– – – – – – –
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
American ingenuity has always powered our Nation and fueled economic growth. Our country was built on the belief that with hard work and passion, progress is within our reach, and it is because of daring innovators and entrepreneurs who have taken risks and redefined what is possible that we have been able to realize this promise. Makers and builders and doers — of all ages and backgrounds — have pushed our country forward, developing creative solutions to important challenges and proving that ordinary Americans are capable of achieving the extraordinary when they have access to the resources they need. During National Week of Making, we celebrate the tinkerers and dreamers whose talent and drive have brought new ideas to life, and we recommit to cultivating the next generation of problem solvers.
My Administration is committed to spurring manufacturing, innovation, and entrepreneurship by expanding opportunities for more Americans to build products and bring them to market. Across the Federal Government, we are working to increase access to capital, maker spaces, and equipment to design, develop, and prototype ideas. By investing in regional manufacturing hubs, we are bringing together private industry, leading universities, and public agencies to develop cutting-edge technology and train workers in the skills they need for the next generation of innovation. To continue to build a Nation of makers, we are committed to engaging students at every level in the hands-on learning of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) to inspire them to pursue their own passions and excel in STEM fields.
National Week of Making Kick-off
Join the White House on June 12 from 8:30-11:30am to celebrate and kick-off the National Week of Making, which lasts from June 12 to June 18. The White House event will include announcements and progress updates on the President’s call to action to create a “Nation of Makers.” We’ll hear from Makers from across the country, organizations helping to support them, as well as senior Obama Administration officials. The Week will coincide with the National Maker Faire here in D.C., featuring makers from across the country and will include participation by federal agencies including: the Department of Education, National Science Foundation, U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Small Business Administration, Institute of Museum and Library Services, National Institute of Standards and Technology, NASA, Corporation for National and Community Service, Department of Homeland Security and the Smithsonian.
MAKING AT THE WHITE HOUSE:
- Maker Faire President Obama hosted the first-ever Maker Faire on June 18, 2014.
- 6/12/15 New Commitments in Support of the President’s Nation of Makers Initiative
- Creating Bo-Bot and Sunny-Bot For the holidays this year, the White House featured Bo and Sunny in the holiday decorations as life-size, animated “dog-bots.”
- 3D Printed Ornament Challenge The White House announces the winners of it’s first-ever 3D-printed ornament challenge.
MORE MAKER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Fashion Workshop The First Lady held a fashion workshop highlighting the growing role of makers and new technologies in the creative economy.
- The Make Schools Alliance Higher education institutions respond to the President’s call to support making on college campuses.
- Making Makers in Cleveland Case Western is providing a makerspace and innovation center to give students, staff, faculty and members of the public the tools they need to create, build and invent.
- Making for a Stronger Africa Young African Leaders joined the US Global Development Lab and the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy at Fab Lab DC to discuss the role of making in Africa’s economic and community development.
ACTIONS PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS TAKEN TO CULTIVATE USA MANUFACTURING:
- 12/20/16 President Obama Announces Winner of New Smart Manufacturing Innovation Institute and New Manufacturing Hub Competitions
- 6/24/16 Sharpening Our Competitive Edge and the National Network …
- 6/20/16 Strengthening and Celebrating America’s Capacity for Innovation
- 4/4/16 In-Depth Look: How Manufacturing Hubs Helped This Business Innovate
- 4/1/16 Obama Administration Announces New Revolutionary Fibers and Textiles Manufacturing Innovation Hub in Cambridge, MA and New Report on $2 Billion in Manufacturing R&D Investments
- 8/28/15 Manufacturing Innovation Institute for Flexible Hybrid …
- 7/27/15 New Integrated Photonics Manufacturing Innovation Hub
- 3/18/15 President Obama Launches Competition for New Textiles …
- 1/9/15 President Obama Announces New Manufacturing Innovation Hub in Knoxville, Tennessee
- 12/11/14 FACT SHEET: President Obama Launches Competitions for New Manufacturing Innovation Hubs and American Apprenticeship Grants
- 5/28/14 First 12 ICMP “Manufacturing Communities” Designated
- 2/25/14 President Obama Announces Two New Public-Private Manufacturing Innovation Institutes and Launches the First of Four New Manufacturing Innovation Institute Competitions
- 1/15/14 North Carolina Is Home to America’s Newest High-Tech Manufacturing Hub
RELATED ISSUES & INITIATIVES:
Friday, June 12, 2015 8:30 AM ET
National Week of Making Kick-off
The White House