Panel Discussion with President Obama
President Barack Obama announced March 22, that he will speak during the National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit in Atlanta, Georgia, on Tuesday, March 29. President Obama will participate in a Panel Discussion scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
The President’s appearance follows his visit last year to West Virginia, where he announced a number of new public and private sector actions to address the epidemic, including a Presidential Memorandum on prescriber training and opioid use disorder treatment.
As part of these efforts, on March 15 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued new recommendations for prescribing opioid medications for chronic pain to help primary care providers — who account for prescribing nearly half of all opioid prescriptions — ensure the safest and most effective treatment for their patients.
The President has made clear that addressing this epidemic is a priority for his Administration and put forward a request earlier this year for $1.1 billion in new funding-most of which would go directly to States – to ensure that every American who wants treatment can get the help they need.
- The Opioid Epidemic
- 2/5/15 FACT SHEET: Administration Proposes Critical Investments to Tackle Prescription Drug Abuse, Heroin Use, and Overdose Deaths
- 10/21/15 FACT SHEET: Obama Administration Announces Public and Private Sector Efforts to Address Prescription Drug Abuse and Heroin Use
- 10/21/15 Presidential Memorandum — Addressing Prescription Drug Abuse and Heroin Use
- 10/21/15 Remarks by the President at Community Forum at East End Family Resource Center
- 2/2/16 FACT SHEET: President Obama Proposes $1.1 Billion in New Funding to Address the Prescription Opioid Abuse and Heroin Use Epidemic
- 3/15/16 CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain — United States, 2016
- 3/29/16 Fact Sheet: Obama Administration Announces Additional Actions to Address the Prescription Opioid Abuse and Heroin Epidemic
- 3/29/16 Presidential Memorandum — Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force
- 3/29/16 President Obama’s Remarks in Panel Discussion at the National Prescription Drug Abuse and Heroin Summit
- 4/29/16 FACT SHEET: Obama Administration Honors Americans Leading Efforts to Stop the Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic
- 7/6/16 FACT SHEET: Obama Administration Takes More Actions to Address the Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic
- 7/22/16 President Obama signs the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2016
- 9/19/16 FACT SHEET: Obama Administration Announces Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week
- 10/27/16 FACT SHEET: Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force Takes Steps to Ensure Americans Can Access Care
- 11/30/16 FACT SHEET: Obama Administration Marks Progress in Substance Use Disorder Prevention, Treatment, Recovery, and Research
2:30 PM ET
President Obama participates in a panel discussion on herion and opioid addiction
National Rx Drug Abuse and Heroin Summit
AmericasMart, Atlanta, Georgia