The Paris Agreement (French: L’accord de Paris) is an agreement within the framework of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) dealing with greenhouse gases emissions mitigation, adaptation and finance starting in the year 2020. An agreement on the language of the treaty was negotiated by representatives of 195 countries at the 21st Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC in Paris and adopted by consensus on 12 December 2015.
President Obama: The United States Formally Enters the Paris Agreement
SEPTEMBER 3, 2016 AT 10:41 AM ET BY TANYA SOMANADER
Last December, more than 190 countries adopted the Paris Agreement, the most ambitious climate change agreement in history. In order for the agreement to take effect and enter into force, at least 55 countries representing at least 55 percent of global emissions need to formally join the Agreement.
Today, the United States and China deposited with United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon their respective instruments to join the Paris Agreement, marking a significant contribution towards the early entry into force of the Paris Agreement.
Today’s action by the United States and China to formally join is a significant step towards entry into force this year with countries representing around 40 percent of global emissions having now joined and more than 55 countries having already joined or publicly committed to work towards joining the agreement this year.
- 9/3/16 The United States Formally Enters the Paris Agreement
- 9/3/16 U.S.-China Climate Change Cooperation Outcomes
- 9/3/16 FACT SHEET: U.S.-China Cooperation on Climate Change
- 9/21/16 Presidential Memorandum — Climate Change and National Security
- 9/21/16 FACT SHEET: President Obama Takes A Historic Step To Address The National Security Implications Of Climate Change
- 9/22/16 FACT SHEET: Launching New Public-Private Partnership and Announcing Joint Declaration on Leveraging Open Data for Climate Resilience
- 9/22/16 Leaders from 100+ Countries Call for Ambitious Amendment to the Montreal Protocol to Phase Down HFCs and Donors Announce Intent to Provide $80 Million of Support
- 10/5/16 Remarks by the President on the Paris Agreement
- 10/15/16 Statement by the President on the Montreal Protocol
- 10/15/16 FACT SHEET: Nearly 200 Countries Reach a Global Deal to Phase Down Potent Greenhouse Gases and Avoid Up to 0.5°C of Warming
- 11/4/16 Paris climate agreement now international law