December 05, 2016
Statement by the Press Secretary on the Visit to Hawaii of Prime Minister Abe of Japan
President Obama will meet with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Honolulu, Hawaii, on December 27, 2016. The meeting will be an opportunity for the two leaders to review our joint efforts over the past four years to strengthen the U.S.-Japan alliance, including our close cooperation on a number of security, economic, and global challenges. The President will also accompany Prime Minister Abe to the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor to honor those killed. The two leaders’ visit will showcase the power of reconciliation that has turned former adversaries into the closest of allies, united by common interests and shared values.
Abe to make historic visit — the first by a Japanese leader — to Pearl Harbor this month
DEC 5, 2016 BY JESSE JOHNSON – japantimes
In a surprise announcement Monday night, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he would make a historic visit to Pearl Harbor — the first by a sitting Japanese leader — on Dec. 26 and 27 during a trip for his final summit with outgoing U.S. President Barack Obama.
The stunning declaration came just two days ahead of the 75th anniversary of the attack that propelled the U.S. into World War II.
Abe said he was making the visit to Hawaii “to pay tribute” to military personnel from both sides of the Pacific who died in the war.
“We must never repeat the tragedy of the war,” he told reporters. “I would like to send this commitment. At the same time, I would like to send a message of reconciliation between Japan and the U.S.”
- USS Arizona Memorial Discovery Packet
- National Park Service: http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm
- US Department of Defense – National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
- Interactive USS Arizona Memorial
- Pearl Harbor 75th Commemorative Events
- Japanese American internment
- Presidential Proclamation — National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, 2016
- 5/27/16 Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Abe of Japan at Hiroshima Peace Memorial, Hiroshima, Japan
- 5/27/16 President Obama meets Hiroshima bomb survivors at Hiroshima Peace Memorial, Hiroshima, Japan
- 5/27/16 President Obama folded, presented paper cranes at Hiroshima Peace Memorial, Hiroshima, Japan
- 12/7/16 Statement by the President on the 75th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor
- 12/27/16 President Obama participates in a wreath-laying ceremony, USS Arizona Memorial, Honolulu, Hawai’i
- 12/27/16 President Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe delivers remarks at the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Arizona Memorial, Honolulu, Hawai’i
Tuesday, December 27, 2016
President Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pay their respects at the
USS Arizona Memorial, Honolulu, Hawai’i