The Deferred Action for Parents of Americans program was announced by President Barack Obama in November 2014 as part of his plan for immigration reform. The program attempts to grant deferred action to undocumented immigrants who are the parents of a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident.
Many non-residents (illegal immigrants) DO pay U.S. Federal taxes
An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number “9”, formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN).To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF) . The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the address shown in the Form W-7 Instructions, present it at IRS walk-in offices, or process your application through an Acceptance Agentauthorized by the IRS. Form W-7(SP), Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos (PDF) is available for use by Spanish speakers.
President Obama’s Immigration Timeline:
- 4/7/15 U.S. appeals court rejects challenge to 2012 Obama deportation relief
- 2/24/15 DHS Extends Eligibility for Employment Authorization to Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses of H-1B Nonimmigrants Seeking Employment-Based Lawful Permanent Residence
- 2/23/15 U.S. Justice Department asks for stay to allow immigration action
- 2/5/15 Pres Obama hosts DREAMers from around the nation who qualified for his Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program
- 2/2/15 Pres Obama recognizes and reaffirms true government-to-government relations and in honoring the trust responsibility to American Indian tribes pursuant to treaties and the U.S. Constitution
- 1/15/15 Mexican government began issuing birth certificates to its citizens at its consulates in the US
- 1/5/15 Secretary of Homeland Security Johnson’s revised guidance on Policies for the Apprehension, Detention and Removal of Undocumented Immigrants
- 11/21/14 FACT SHEET: The Economic Benefits of Fixing Our Broken Immigration System
- 11/21/14 Presidential Memorandum — Creating Welcoming Communities and Fully Integrating Immigrants and Refugees
- 11/21/14 Presidential Memorandum — Modernizing and Streamlining the U.S. Immigrant Visa System for the 21st Century
- 11/21/14 Department of Homeland Security Fixing Our Broken Immigration System Through Executive Action – Key Facts
- 11/21/14 President Obama delivered remarks and signs the Executive Orders on Immigration Reform
- 11/20/14 President Obama addressed the Nation on his Immigration Reform Presidente Obama Se Dirige a la Nación (Subtitulado al Español)
Boehner Says Obama Immigration Action Will ‘Burn Himself’
Nov 6, 2014 11:36 AM PT By Kathleen Miller – bloomberg
President Barack Obama will “poison the well” if he changes U.S. immigration policy without waiting for Congress to act, said House Speaker John Boehner.
“He’s going to burn himself if he continues to go down this path,” Boehner told reporters at a news conference today in Washington. He spoke a day after Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican in line to be Senate majority leader, said executive action by Obama on immigration would be like “waving a red flag in front of a bull.”
Boehner’s party won at least 245 House of Representatives seats in the Nov. 4 election, giving Republicans their largest majority since World War II. The party gained at least seven Senate seats, more than enough to take control in January.
Obama yesterday repeated a promise to take action by the end of the year to halt deportations for some undocumented immigrants if Congress doesn’t move on rewriting U.S. law.
“What I’m not going to do is just wait,” the president said. He said Republicans who might be “angered or frustrated” are also “deeply opposed to immigration reform in any form.”
Boehner said that if Obama acts on his own, “he will poison the well and there will be no chance for immigration reform moving in this Congress.”
“When you play with matches, you run the risk of burning yourself,” the speaker said.
11/5/14 After President Obama repeated a promise to take action by the end of the year to halt deportations for some undocumented immigrants if Congress doesn’t move on rewriting U.S. law, House Speaker John Boehner said that President Barack Obama will “poison the well” if he changes U.S. immigration policy without waiting for Congress to act.
11/21/14 President Obama delivers remarks and signs the Executive Orders on Immigration Reform